Options

Do you think i am doing the right thing ignoring him?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
Forum Member
Hey all,

I heard from a friend of mine this is a good forum for advice so i decided to post here. I am sorry the story is rather long, but i need to include all info.

A couple of months ago my husband and i separated. During this time i had met another guy that i started to have feelings for. The timing wasn't the best, but i really liked him and we continued to talk. He sent many mixed messages that had me confused, especially in my current state with feeling lots of emotions from the separation. I was so very relieved when my husband and i split as i had been unhappy for so long, but moving out and everything was still not easy.

We continued to talk for a while, and this guy seemed very interested in me. I started to feel like he could offer me everything i had lacked with my husband for so long. After a few dates, he started acting very distant and told me he had no interest in a relationship and just wanted to be friends. He said he found me attractive, wouldn’t mind being physical, enjoyed my company, and really liked me as a friend and wanted to continue our friendship. Another thing that confused me after saying all this is he would get jealous of other guy friends i had which i never really understood. After thinking that this guy just wanted to sleep with me and confiding in a male friend of mine about this guy and how i felt confused of his behavior if he only wanted to be friends (flirting still, complimenting me, getting jealous over other guys), he told me the only real way i would know if he had any feelings about me and was for some strange reason lying to himself (although doubtful), or wanting to know if he really was just using friendship with me as a way to sleep with me, the best thing would be distance myself to see what his real feelings were.

On Monday he sent me some messages through Facebook messenger (this is how we usually communicate), and i read them but never responded. This was in the morning (i would say around 11am). It got to about midnight and i just happened to update my status, and he just messaged me going into one. He said i was being rude and clearly was ignoring him and he said i was being a d*** to him. He then said this means we are done so goodbye, and with that he defriended me. I couldn’t actually believe he got that mad about me not replying to him, especially as he has gone a whole weekend before not saying anything. I sent him a message saying “are you actually serious?” and he came back just saying he was just over my randomness.

Being the idiot i am i continued to talk to him through messenger and told him i was sorry that he felt i was purposely ignoring him. I told him i was just sick of him telling me he didn’t want a romantic relationship with me, but he constantly complimented me on how perfect i was as a girl, flirting with me, even at one point listing all the things he loved about me. I just thought to myself friends need to set some boundaries, and doing all those things is not right. I said to him “would you be interested in fwb?” to which he replied “hell yeah.”

With that i just decided that is all he wanted after insisting it wasn’t for so long, and constantly playing games and with my emotions for months and i couldn’t be bothered with at all anymore, so i blocked him. I was pretty surprised he just admitted it like that. Maybe he thought i was asking as that is what i wanted. My guy friend told me he guaranteed because i just blocked him without an explanation he would contact me some other way to ask what happened, and he sort of did. He text me saying “Oh you blocked me, and you tricked me into saying i wanted a fwb to confirm to yourself i wasn’t a very nice person, i didn’t know you were capable of being so deceitful.” I ignored it and never replied. My guy friend told me he thought that he was basically just telling me i tricked myself into believing that was what he wanted but it wasn’t, and that i probably wouldn’t hear from him ever again. 4 hours later, i got a text message that said “babe.” I ignored that too and then there was a day of silence. I was convinced he had given up only to get a message Thursday morning that said “are you still not talking to me?”

Do you think i am doing the right thing not responding to these messages? This guy played with my emotions which isn’t really what friends do to friends. He told me he had no desire for a romantic relationship with me because he didn’t think we were each others types. We know he wouldn’t have minded sleeping with me, but i basically figured out his intentions and blocked him basically revealing to him that i would never do that and didn’t want to talk. I really did fall hard for this guy. I am not sure if it was because he was the first guy that i liked after my marriage failed, but i do not know why continued to reach out. It is so hard not to respond back either. I am wondering if the last text was confirmation to himself that i was really gone and he won't try again? I just feel totally gutted. I thought this guy could have possibly been the one for me after my bad marriage, only for it to end badly too.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    The guy's a dick and he's not sufficiently interested in you to even try to hide it.

No relationship should be this hard, particularly in early stages.

You've only just split up with your husband - instead of jumping in with someone else, and looking for them to provide your happiness and 'everything you had lacked with your husband for so long', find it for yourself before you embark on a new relationship - then you won't feel the need to invest so heavily at such an early stage, which really helps when sorting the decent men from, well, ones like this.

And yes, in case it wasn't clear, ignore this idiot's messages. Block him on your phone too if possible. He's a waste of time and will never be what you want him to be, and continued contact with him will make you miserable.
  • Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Hey all,

I heard from a friend of mine this is a good forum for advice so i decided to post here. I am sorry the story is rather long, but i need to include all info.

A couple of months ago my husband and i separated. During this time i had met another guy that i started to have feelings for. The timing wasn't the best, but i really liked him and we continued to talk. He sent many mixed messages that had me confused, especially in my current state with feeling lots of emotions from the separation. I was so very relieved when my husband and i split as i had been unhappy for so long, but moving out and everything was still not easy.

We continued to talk for a while, and this guy seemed very interested in me. I started to feel like he could offer me everything i had lacked with my husband for so long. After a few dates, he started acting very distant and told me he had no interest in a relationship and just wanted to be friends. He said he found me attractive, wouldn’t mind being physical, enjoyed my company, and really liked me as a friend and wanted to continue our friendship. Another thing that confused me after saying all this is he would get jealous of other guy friends i had which i never really understood. After thinking that this guy just wanted to sleep with me and confiding in a male friend of mine about this guy and how i felt confused of his behavior if he only wanted to be friends (flirting still, complimenting me, getting jealous over other guys), he told me the only real way i would know if he had any feelings about me and was for some strange reason lying to himself (although doubtful), or wanting to know if he really was just using friendship with me as a way to sleep with me, the best thing would be distance myself to see what his real feelings were.

On Monday he sent me some messages through Facebook messenger (this is how we usually communicate), and i read them but never responded. This was in the morning (i would say around 11am). It got to about midnight and i just happened to update my status, and he just messaged me going into one. He said i was being rude and clearly was ignoring him and he said i was being a d*** to him. He then said this means we are done so goodbye, and with that he defriended me. I couldn’t actually believe he got that mad about me not replying to him, especially as he has gone a whole weekend before not saying anything. I sent him a message saying “are you actually serious?” and he came back just saying he was just over my randomness.

Being the idiot i am i continued to talk to him through messenger and told him i was sorry that he felt i was purposely ignoring him. I told him i was just sick of him telling me he didn’t want a romantic relationship with me, but he constantly complimented me on how perfect i was as a girl, flirting with me, even at one point listing all the things he loved about me. I just thought to myself friends need to set some boundaries, and doing all those things is not right. I said to him “would you be interested in fwb?” to which he replied “hell yeah.”

With that i just decided that is all he wanted after insisting it wasn’t for so long, and constantly playing games and with my emotions for months and i couldn’t be bothered with at all anymore, so i blocked him. I was pretty surprised he just admitted it like that. Maybe he thought i was asking as that is what i wanted. My guy friend told me he guaranteed because i just blocked him without an explanation he would contact me some other way to ask what happened, and he sort of did. He text me saying “Oh you blocked me, and you tricked me into saying i wanted a fwb to confirm to yourself i wasn’t a very nice person, i didn’t know you were capable of being so deceitful.” I ignored it and never replied. My guy friend told me he thought that he was basically just telling me i tricked myself into believing that was what he wanted but it wasn’t, and that i probably wouldn’t hear from him ever again. 4 hours later, i got a text message that said “babe.” I ignored that too and then there was a day of silence. I was convinced he had given up only to get a message Thursday morning that said “are you still not talking to me?”

Do you think i am doing the right thing not responding to these messages? This guy played with my emotions which isn’t really what friends do to friends. He told me he had no desire for a romantic relationship with me because he didn’t think we were each others types. We know he wouldn’t have minded sleeping with me, but i basically figured out his intentions and blocked him basically revealing to him that i would never do that and didn’t want to talk. I really did fall hard for this guy. I am not sure if it was because he was the first guy that i liked after my marriage failed, but i do not know why continued to reach out. It is so hard not to respond back either. I am wondering if the last text was confirmation to himself that i was really gone and he won't try again? I just feel totally gutted. I thought this guy could have possibly been the one for me after my bad marriage, only for it to end badly too.

Yes, the bloke's a complete prick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Back off. You're not long over your break-up and this guy does not sound like a good bet to me. He's messing you about. Your gut feeling sounds right to me. Forget him!
  • Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are on the rebound and he is looking for a shag. He's poison so just block his number on your phone and forget him. It's way too soon for you to be looking for a new partner so get your head together before jumping into a new relationship. You're vulnerable right now and you need space to yourself not some idiot taking advantage.
  • Options
    azaleaazalea Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    He sounds like a d**k stay well clear. I met a similar guy , didn't want a relationship but wanted everything that goes with it. He to didn't want me to go out with or have male friends even though he himself didn't want to date me. I went along with it for a while. It turned out to be the worst decision of my life he turned out to be very controlling and manipulating to get what he wanted. It's taken me a long time to sort myself out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, not sure what you are talking about in reference to FB?
  • Options
    ScPDScPD Posts: 319
    Forum Member

And there is the problem...

Conducting a relationship over FB... Geddit?
  • Options
    FlowesFlowes Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member
    Yep, he will mess with you emotionally until you don't know whether you're coming or going. I expect him to continue to try to contact you as he probably can't handle rejection either.

You will need to stay strong and not get sucked into his games. He sounds incredibly emotionally immature.
  • Options
    FlowesFlowes Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member

Facebook. Never a good idea to become facebook friends until you are in a stable relationship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We didn't conduct a relationship over fb, we talked via fb messenger when we weren't together as well as texting. We met up many times.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,077
    Forum Member
    Leave him well alone. Just out for no strings fun while having you jumping to his tune.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No good usually comes from a relationship on the rebound from someone else. Out of the frying pan and into the fire and all that. You should allow much more time to sort yourself out after your marriage - you must be going through mundane but vital domestic stuff such as finances and living arrangements, so get through those and leave getting involved with another man until later. Concentrate on catching up with your friends and having some quality time to come to terms with what's been happening - that's so important to start feeling good about yourself and getting your head in the right place. Then move on with your love life !
  • Options
    #grotbags##grotbags# Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, keep ignoring him, definitely.

I was in a situation a bit like this. He had some genuine problems of his own, but it's totally draining. It went on for years, on and off, and I wasted so much time and energy for little in return. Do yourself a favour, have some self respect ( I mean that it in the nicest possible way), and don't get any further into it.

Good luck x
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    This chap doesn't want a relationship with you, he just wants sex when he wants it, and for you not see anyone else whilst you're his FWB. Things is, he doesn't even sound much like a good friend! What's in it for you? If you just wanted FWB then maybe, but you don't, and he can't give you the relationship you want.

I would steer well clear until you are feeling more emotionally stable, because splitting up with your husband, even if it was something you wanted, will still be upsetting as you deal with the aftermath of it all. Take some time out for you, put yourself and your needs first and don't settle for second best.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    You need time to grieve for the end of your marriage, no matter how relieved you were when it ended. The last thing you need is another full-on relationship. Carry on ignoring this twerp, and spend the next couple of months on your own, decide what you want out of life, what sort of partner you would like in the future, don't be sucked into some kind of friends with benefits situation if that's not what you want.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need time to grieve for the end of your marriage, no matter how relieved you were when it ended. The last thing you need is another full-on relationship. Carry on ignoring this twerp, and spend the next couple of months on your own, decide what you want out of life, what sort of partner you would like in the future, don't be sucked into some kind of friends with benefits situation if that's not what you want.

Exactly this, its only been a few months and I suspect you are still pretty vulnerable. Steer clear of this guy and give yourself a chance to sort yourself out first before getting involved with anybody else.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally right to ignore the guy. He sounds manipulative.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For goodness sake Lucy, give yourself a chance, your post has rebound all over it.

So yes you did the right thing.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People that say you're ignoring them on facebook or accuse you of not replying to texts etc, really piss me off.

I'm not even going into facebook every 2 minutes, nor checking the e mail account I use for fb, so don't always even know that somebody has inboxed me.

As for this guy. OP, he sounds like a waste of time. Ditch now.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds to me like you're both played games, trying to illicit responses using less than upfront tactics.

Personally, I'd not pursue this person any longer. It's too much effort, for no tangible or even predictable return.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assuming you're both reasonably adult, life is too short to waste your time playing games like teenagers (and this applies to both of you).

In fact, the reasonably honest approach is for you to ask him if he wants 'fwb' and him to just say yes or no. What you should also be able to say is if that is what you want or not, rather than block him on facebook or play other games as per the direction of your other male friend.

Don't dance around it, or hint, or whatever. Decide what you want out of life and then just be honest with people.
  • Options
    hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's told you in no uncertain terms. By his behaviour and his in actual words. He just wants to get into your pants.
    I do understand how at the end of a marriage, you are vulnerable to being wanted, but he doesn't want to look after you or help you rebuild your life.
    He wants to have sex.
    I suggest that you respond to say simply that you appreciate he has been honest with you and don't think badly of him, but that at the current time you need clear uncomplicated friendships around you and you hope he will respect that.
    Then stop all contact.

And spend some time making yourself happy.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it you have no kids op, because if you have your first course of action would be to be there for them and ensure they have a good relationship with their dad as opposed to hooking up with a random bloke

You need to be on your own without any complications

Good luck
  • Options
    gem2626gem2626 Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    I think the verdict is unanimous. Please stay away from this guy and cut all contact. Put all the energy you are wasting on him into yourself. Good luck, I know it's not easy.
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weird guy trying to manipulate you to be his f***buddy, and to stop you dating other guys while you are FWBs.

Then trying to make you feel guilty cos you won't do it.