Options

Do you remember when Madonna was cool?

ThrillKisserThrillKisser Posts: 8
Forum Member
Admit it, Madonna is deeply uncool nowadays. I remember a time when you could put on one of her albums and not feel embarrassed about listening to it. Madonna has always been a gay icon, but her music over the last decade has become increasingly more camp and generic. It's the sort of music gay men love to dance to in clubs or while they work out at the gym. Maybe that explains why the only people who are buying her music nowadays are her core fan base, i.e. gay men. I would quite happily listen to Ray of Light in my car at a high volume, but I would never do the same with any of her albums from Confessions onwards. And did she really need to team up with Avicii? She's such a bandwagon jumper.

Fingers crossed the promotion for her upcoming album will be focused and well-planned. Hard Candy and MDNA were handled poorly.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I've never understood her popularity.
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was cool once. Not now, but I respect her
  • Options
    RoadRoverRoadRover Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Admit it, Madonna is deeply uncool nowadays. I remember a time when you could put on one of her albums and not feel embarrassed about listening to it. Madonna has always been a gay icon, but her music over the last decade has become increasingly more camp and generic. It's the sort of music gay men love to dance to in clubs or while they work out at the gym. Maybe that explains why the only people who are buying her music nowadays are her core fan base, i.e. gay men. I would quite happily listen to Ray of Light in my car at a high volume, but I would never do the same with any of her albums from Confessions onwards. And did she really need to team up with Avicii? She's such a bandwagon jumper.

Fingers crossed the promotion for her upcoming album will be focused and well-planned. Hard Candy and MDNA were handled poorly.

Ok..who is "cool" in your eyes then?
  • Options
    SereniitySereniity Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only time Madonna was 'cool' was pre 1986. Once she started pissing people off with her rebellion a lot of people wouldn't give her the time of day. She alienated most of conservative America with the Like A Prayer video and then fingered herself every night on stage during the Like A Virgin performance while on the Blond Ambition Tour. These sort of acts only push people away, not draw them in. After the whole Sex/Erotica thing no one under 20 would ever admit to being a Madonna fan.

And I'm not sure what the 'gay' thing is about. Madonna's fanbase has always been mostly female and gay men. I think you would be very hard pushed to find a genuine straight man who would admit to being a Madonna music lover. Sure she may have crossed over genres with Ray Of Light/Music but Madonna was always a pop girl. Hence why American Life, which is probably her best ever work, flopped. No one was interested in serious Madonna. She tried it and it didn't work so she went back to what her core fan base love. Nothing wrong with that at all. Its respecting your audience.

Regardless of anything else. Madonna is still the last one standing out of all her generation and has outlasted all her peers.

If you want to talk about bandwagon jumpers look at someone like lets say, Kylie. Who only went onto The Voice in an attempt to sell her latest album and it backfired greatly. Kiss Me Once would probably have sold even LESS without The Voice so that's embarrassing. At least Madonna is still topping the world charts (with zero promotion) and setting records with every new year that passes.

I think the most surprising thing I've always had with Madonna is how bitter, and I mean truly bitter, her haters and detractors are. They really resent her success to the point it makes them ill. Bizarre.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sereniity wrote: »
    Only time Madonna was 'cool' was pre 1986. She alienated most of conservative America with the Like A Prayer video

Alienating conservative America is the epitome of cool, surely?
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    I agree....and she released an album about disillusionment with the american government.... not many in her position would have done that.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Her uncoolness is partly due to her age too. Name me some over 50's pop stars that are regarded as cool??

Her attitude towards ageing hasn't helped. Its all: denial, denial, DENIAL.
    I can understand that for most teens & 20something's she seems irrelevant but she has had SUCH an influence on their idols: Riri, Beyonce, Katy Perry.
    S'funny how its ok to be a teen or younger person and into MJ but Madge doesn't command the respect he gets. I guess he has the "luxury" of being dead.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only time I can ever recall her being even remotely cool was the years between ROL-Music. After Music she went back to getting hate and vitriol everywhere. Never stopped her getting number one albums and breaking tour records though which I'm sure makes her detractors squirm:)
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was cool from 1989 to around 2006/7. That's a pretty good innings, only the stratospherically successful get 20 years.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Her uncoolness is partly due to her age too. Name me some over 50's pop stars that are regarded as cool??

I can understand that for most teens & 20something's she seems irrelevant but she has had SUCH an influence on their idols: Riri, Beyonce, Katy Perry.
    S'funny how its ok to be a teen or younger person and into MJ but Madge doesn't command the respect he gets. I guess he has the "luxury" of being dead.

I agree with this. One of her biggest problems is her refusal to grow older gracefully and she can come across as trying to hard to be cool and credible and it's all a bit embarrassing and undignified.

She's an absolute icon of her era but she doesn't seem to have moved into the role of elder statesman very well
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    What does cool mean anyway? Why does it matter?

I'm not embarrassed to say I like Madonna, I do prefer her older stuff but continue to support her career and check out her new stuff.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RoadRover wrote: »
    Ok..who is "cool" in your eyes then?

yeah, i would like to know the answer to this too.:)

a new member that is clearly a kylie fan and has within 8 posts managed to set up a negative thread on cheryl cole and now madonna, sets alarm bells ringing for me. frankly, we have been here before and it became nothing more than a slight annoyance, until the little monsters reported a load of their profiles last year when this person posted in a gaga thread.;-) i sincerely do hope its not the same person, because if i got booted off a forum for posting the same thing under a string of aliases, then i would reconsider my life choices and go on to do something more constructive with my time.:(
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »

Possibly the Pet Shop Boys.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    What a stupid axx thread. I see other fan bases feeling threatened here. Madonna will forever remain cool even after her death. Give the lady some respect, with out her, your faves wouldn't exist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And with this teaming up with Avicci guy. Madonna had him opening for her show years ago!!! Before all you heard of him.

So it's ok for Coldplay to work with Avicii but not Madonna??

She is working with unknown people on the album unlike other artists who go to RedOne, Max and other well known producers for every album they do.
    Madonna gets so much critism, more than any other artists out there. Jeez give her some respect!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gpk wrote: »
    yeah, i would like to know the answer to this too.:)

a new member that is clearly a kylie fan and has within 8 posts managed to set up a negative thread on cheryl cole and now madonna, sets alarm bells ringing for me. frankly, we have been here before and it became nothing more than a slight annoyance, until the little monsters reported a load of their profiles last year when this person posted in a gaga thread.;-) i sincerely do hope its not the same person, because if i got booted off a forum for posting the same thing under a string of aliases, then i would reconsider my life choices and go on to do something more constructive with my time.:(

Thrillkisser seems like a bitter fan of gaga. He has been posting negative crap about other female artists.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    I think Madonna peaked with Like a Prayer. That got the world talking!! But she has iconic status now. She an all time great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Possibly the Pet Shop Boys.

Good call!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Y_Me wrote: »
    And with this teaming up with Avicci guy. Madonna had him opening for her show years ago!!! Before all you heard of him.

So it's ok for Coldplay to work with Avicii but not Madonna??

She is working with unknown people on the album unlike other artists who go to RedOne, Max and other well known producers for every album they do.
    Madonna gets so much critism, more than any other artists out there. Jeez give her some respect!!

I remember reading somewhere that Madonna having Avicii as an opening act before he was well known so he's not exactly new to her so it's not band wagon jumping like someone said!
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to think that I have a very good memory, but even I am struggling with this one.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when she was a raging Trollop. I never thought she was cool, just sad.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Y_Me wrote: »
    Thrillkisser seems like a bitter fan of gaga. He has been posting negative crap about other female artists.

its not a gaga fan, at least i dont think so. no, the op possibly likes another singer the wrong side of 45. if the op is who i think it is, then i would urge them to get medical help. the amount of negativity that multiple pbu displayed previously cannot be healthy for anyone. :(

i honestly dont think madonna cares whether she is considered cool or not and i certainly have never cared what other people think about her as a fan.:) she just is who she is and people can take or leave her, like she has written in her lyrics several times.:)
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Creamtea wrote: »
    I remember when she was a raging Trollop. I never thought she was cool, just sad.

When was this?
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she was cool during the early 90's when she did Bad Girl, Human Nature and Justify My Love.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    She lasted longer than Gaga.