Arrow Season 4 - US Pace Spoilers tagged

Comments

• Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    Given how rushed and half-arsed DC/Warner's development of the DC Film Universe appears to have been so far in comparison to Marvel's, I would not be surprised if no one had seriously considered a Flash film until after the series started, at which point it was too late to kill the series.
    Hmm, it is possible, but then it makes me now wonder whether they'll let it run it's course, or whether they'll try to shut it down at the end of any given season.

For what it's worth, I think the DCCU will pick up well, they've found their footing now, with their second and third films being released this year (following Man of Steel). What I still don't understand though; they're got the Flash show, and it's a success. The Flash films (and the Justice League ones) will also be a success. Why can't they make that success out of a tv series and film series together, where other characters are concerned?

I know Batman and Superman are their ace cards (so to speak), so I an (somewhat) understand them not wanting to put them into a series, but that shouldn't stop them from making the most out of their other heroes and villains. Next thing you know they'll suddenly cut all the villains from Gotham because they'll be appearing in future Batman films. It's moronic.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say they've found their footing yet, not until we've actually seen what the upcoming films are like.

So far, all we've actually had is Man of Steel, which wasn't exactly a hit with critics or audiences.
    Forum Member
    Pretty sure that grave is the grave of William, Oliver's Son, and the reason Oliver and Felicity appear to be at odds with each other is because he (Oliver) didn't tell Felicity that he even had a son.
    So far, all we've actually had is Man of Steel, which wasn't exactly a hit with critics or audiences.
    I actually really enjoyed Man of Steel. Some critics, and comic fans condemned the show because, allegedly, it wasn't true to the comics, when in actual fact, it was, it just wasn't true to some of them, nor the original films.

Man of Steel was/is a film created on a different superman comic, and for this generation. Fanboys who think they know better are mostly why it got negative press. With regard to the other films though, Batman vs Superman and Suicide Squad looks to impress. I think they'll do a grand job!
  • MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember, did we ever find out the circumstances in how Oliver got off the island, is it likely the current backstory culminates in this, or do we have another years worth of this next season?
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    MR_Pitkin wrote: »
    I can't remember, did we ever find out the circumstances in how Oliver got off the island, is it likely the current backstory culminates in this, or do we have another years worth of this next season?

He got off the island several times and returned several more...which specific instance?
  • SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Pretty sure that grave is the grave of William, Oliver's Son, and the reason Oliver and Felicity appear to be at odds with each other is because he (Oliver) didn't tell Felicity that he even had a son.

I did mention a while back that from the aerial view point it looked like a child size grave. Although, I still have my doubts that they'll go down the killing a child route.

Anyway, the episode was fine. I'm glad they all finally went back to realising what a evil git Malcolm is and that pretty much most of the bad stuff that's happened to them all is tied to him.

I did think the fight with Oliver was far too quick and far too easy for the latter. So much so that I thought there had been some secret plan hatched between the two beforehand and it was all a rouse to get the Lotus from Nyssa.

Not sure what I make of the LoA being disbanded. What will Nyssa do now? Will she go off and set up her own group? She better still pop in to Star City from time to time!

Felicity and her Dad ended up being a bit of an anti-climax. I assume that won't be the last we see of him this season otherwise it was all a bit pointless.

Flashbacks = yawn.
    Forum Member
    MR_Pitkin wrote: »
    TWS has somewhat already answered this, but I believe your question relates to the end of his five years? If so, then no, we don't know those circumstances yet. That'll be next year.
    Sattrega wrote: »
    I did think the fight with Oliver was far too quick and far too easy for the latter. So much so that I thought there had been some secret plan hatched between the two beforehand and it was all a rouse to get the Lotus from Nyssa.
    I too thought the fight was over too quick, especially as they (Oliver and Malcolm) were fairly well matched each time they've fought before.
    Not sure what I make of the LoA being disbanded. What will Nyssa do now? Will she go off and set up her own group? She better still pop in to Star City from time to time!
    I doubt Nyssa will start her own group. It's more likely she'll rediscover herself somehow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt Nyssa will start her own group. It's more likely she'll rediscover herself somehow.

To be honest just as long as she turns up again I'm happy with whatever she gets up too!

Makes you wonder what will happen to all these ex-LoA members now? Suddenly unemployed, only real skill sets are wielding swords & bows and fighting and killing.

Maybe HIVE are hiring. ;-)
    Forum Member
    Makes you wonder what will happen to all these ex-LoA members now? Suddenly unemployed, only real skill sets are wielding swords & bows and fighting and killing.
    HIVE is a possibility, but it likely depends on the mentality of the assassins. Some could quite easily become mercenaries for hire, or depart into meditation or something. No doubt there's room (within Arrow) for a rogue group of them to turn up again at some point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All that senseless violence just for a bottle of Bombay Sapphire...

I actually really enjoyed Man of Steel. Some critics, and comic fans condemned the show because, allegedly, it wasn't true to the comics, when in actual fact, it was, it just wasn't true to some of them, nor the original films.

Man of Steel was/is a film created on a different superman comic, and for this generation. Fanboys who think they know better are mostly why it got negative press. With regard to the other films though, Batman vs Superman and Suicide Squad looks to impress. I think they'll do a grand job!

It's more that it simply wasn't that good, rather than that it "wasn't true to the comics" ;)

Trailers and promos for the upcoming films prove nothing. I'm waiting until I've actually *seen* them before I entertain the idea that Warner/DC finally knows what it's doing

Maybe HIVE are hiring. ;-)

Yeah, making a load of trained killers unemployed is not the brightest idea she could have had...
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, making a load of trained killers unemployed is not the brightest idea she could have had...

You do wonder how many of them are left :)

Just about every episode they appear in we see a few of them die and while they are no doubt constantly recruiting I do think their numbers are probably a lot less then they were :D
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Terrible episode. A series of dreadful action scenes and a plot that made no sense whatsoever. Nyssa was willing to fight Malcolm in the end even though she went through all of this because she knew she'd lose? Or was Nyssa in on Ollie's plan to step in for her??
    And the fight between Ollie and Malcolm was so one-sided that it had to be deliberate, but then it turned out that it wasn't, so why was it so one sided??

I've thought for the past few weeks that Malcolm is responsible for the impending death, but I still don't believe they'll kill a kid.

I miss the days when this show was tight. Everything is just so sloppy and silly now.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Once they introduced him and he wasn't Connor Hawke I said I thought it'd be him in the grave. Before that I'd thought it might be Det Lance but given the way they're focusing on family and belonging and father/child relationships throughout the season, I think it was a big enough hint.

That and Barry turning up but after the event also ruled out it being any of the big three - Thea, Felicity or Diggle - but he's one of the only people who knows about William so he'd be likely to come for Oliver given the whole timey wimey of that previous episode.

It was a bit of an odd episode all around but glad to see Malcolm's continuing being the show's real big bad villain with a hand in most of the pies since Season One. He's such a brilliant character and JB does bring it every time.

But I still enjoyed it and we finally had the cathartic moment of Oliver realising Malcolm will never put anyone, not even Thea, above his love for power. Interesting to see him with Damien at the end given their League backgrounds and how Darhk escaped the previous Ra's when he failed to gain the Demon's Head ring over Nyssa's father.
    Also interested in Malcolm's cryptic comments about just what the League was up to and why it'd be much worse under Nyssa's control. How much does he know of what Damien's really up to?

The b plot mirror story with Felicity and her father was also well done. The hope and then the heartbreak and then, ultimately, the arresting of her father was well told and gave some great Olicity moments as they discussed their relative fathers and their feelings of abandonment and loss.

Island flashbacks were okay, at least now we're moving towards just what the hell the Baron's up to on the island. I'm still thinking it's going to have something to do with HIVE and that mysterious object Damien's getting his power from.

So I'm giving it an 8 out 10.
    Forum Member
    It's more that it simply wasn't that good, rather than that it "wasn't true to the comics" ;)
    Well, I thought it was that good. :p Where did it lack for you?
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Just watched the ep and has Oliver really become that stupid letting Merlyn live (bad enough) but roaming around free....well I suppose he told him he was good looking but not too bright
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of trust anvils falling from the skies in the latest ep. The big blowout must be coming in the next few episodes where William is concerned, especially as Darkh now has him.

Can't blame Quentin for not confiding in Donna although I'm thinking the latter will put two and two together before the's seasons out about Felicity/Team Arrow etc. Assuming she's still alive to do so!

Curtis is great, sorry, I mean terrific (nice one, Oliver!) Best employee ever! Loved his screensaver!

Flashbacks still plodding along. What Reiter seeks better be worth the wait. At least Conklin is now out the picture, he seriously bugged me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So lots of little secrets laying out their traps for the unwary in this week's episode although perhaps just a little bit over the head with the foreshadowing re Donna's conversation with Felicity at the engagement party.

I thought the production was just a bit off this week as well. During the fight in the flashbacks it looked a couple of times like the stunt double for Conklin, they're usually a bit better than that.
    But the car chase at the start of the episode and the fight in the building at the end were both pretty good.

The flashbacks were, once again, not particularly enlightening about just what the connection is to the present day unless it's all about doing things we don't like - the monsters fighting monsters - which is foreshadowing Oliver going back to full on killer when whatever happens to whoever's in the grave kicks off.

More Curtis please, also liked Oliver's little Terrific nod, wish they'd hurry up and full out create him though. But,
    speaking of superheroes, next week's promo looks good with the arrival of Vixen.
    Forum Member
    Very good episode, until Curtis' present at the end. (I'd like there to be some real world consequences to what they do) Bit disappointed they skipped the debate with Darhk's wife - could have been fun.

Loved the conversation between Thea and Ollie. It's been a while since those 2 really felt like Brother/Sister, and the family aspect is something the show has been lacking in since Moira was killed.
  • Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Very good episode, until Curtis' present at the end. (I'd like there to be some real world consequences to what they do) Bit disappointed they skipped the debate with Darhk's wife - could have been fun.

100% agree with this. It just trivializes her injury and the midseason cliffhanger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Yeah, I did think the same thing. Why paralyze her in the first place if in a few episodes they would have a miracle piece of technology that could counter that? There must be more to it than that surely? Will it work? Will it have some kind of side-effect? Is it all part of Curtis' origin story to become Mr Terrific?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way I understood it was that he thought it would work but ONLY enough so she'd be able to walk down the aisle to get married, not to make her be able to walk again permanently.
    I may be wrong but I thought Curtis specifically said something along the lines of "at least long enough for you to get married".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that Oliver and Thea were rather stupid to not even consider the possibility that Mrs Darhk's opposition research could find out the same thing that Thea's people did.

OK, *we* know that Darhk already not only knows about William but actually has him in his custody, but Oliver should surely have been concerned at how easy it was for Thea's people to dig up that info and Thea to then work it out.
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    The way I understood it was that he thought it would work but ONLY enough so she'd be able to walk down the aisle to get married, not to make her be able to walk again permanently.
    I may be wrong but I thought Curtis specifically said something along the lines of "at least long enough for you to get married".

Sounded like it will help her walk (long enough to get married, at least), but it might go wrong after. Given what we've seen lately she will almost certainly be fixed by the end of the season.
    I thought that Oliver and Thea were rather stupid to not even consider the possibility that Mrs Darhk's opposition research could find out the same thing that Thea's people did.

That demonstrates my biggest problem with the show now - there's nothing real about it anymore.

When Slade made himself known in season 2, Oliver was terrified. But now they're dealing with a guy who can kill them all with his mind and they just don't seem that bothered. Look at they way Oliver and Felicity drove off in the mid-season finale - without any added protection - after outing Darhk and being kidnapped/nearly killed...

"Things are quiet, let's get married." :confused:

Then there's Oliver double-crossing Malcolm and letting him live after finding out he knows about his son. And he spent last night digging at Darhk's wife, basically letting her know that he knows who she really is.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Then there's Oliver double-crossing Malcolm and letting him live after finding out he knows about his son. And he spent last night digging at Darhk's wife, basically letting her know that he knows who she really is.

And he figures that not telling Felicity about his child is a-OK because that, after all, is what will keep his little boy safe. Yeah, that makes complete and utter sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's never made sense at times since Season One to be fair so I don't see they're doing anything any different. It is comic book reality not ours :D