Options

Moving to digital terrestrial Channels

I wil have a modern TV (Panasonic) and a digital aerial. I want to be able to look at past radio and TV programs on the TV (it has both). Do I need to connect a laptop to screen it or is this available (for selection via the remote?) without an internet connection? Maybe it's some sort of box I need?

Comments

• Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    I wil have a modern TV (Panasonic) and a digital aerial. I want to be able to look at past radio and TV programs on the TV (it has both). Do I need to connect a laptop to screen it or is this available (for selection via the remote?) without an internet connection? Maybe it's some sort of box I need?

You have a variety of choices of things to connect to the TV to watch stuff.

A digibox, a DVD or a "blu-ray" player (HD equivalent of DVD) or your PC or laptop if your new TV has a VGA connector.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is a "digital aerial"? Do they exist?
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elke21 wrote: »
    Sort of :)

In some areas the digital signals are being broadcast across a range of frequencies that weren't being used previously. In those areas old aerials may not be very good at picking up the newer frequencies. That means you might need to change your aerial for one that can pick up a wider range of frequencies.

Unfortunately there's some dodgy people around using that as an excuse to sell aerial upgrades that most people don't need. I suggest you either wait and see how it performs or else talk to your neighbours. I think I'm right in saying that most people will not need to upgrade.

However:These are not aerials specifically designed for digital signals. Be very wary of anyone calling them 'digital aerials'. There's nothing digital about them. They are just aerials that are sensitive to a different range of frequencies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought you would need either a sky+ or virgin+ or freeview+ box for that, and have them programs saved or on anytime. Or through iplayers
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was just about to ask the same. My Nan had a couple of flybynights knock on her door not long back offering to get her aerial updated so she can still receive TV after the switchover. Luckily they chose a time to knock on when I was there doing her garden for her, she's 97 and not in full control of her faculties if you know what I mean.

Now, I know she already can as I paid for her to have a new aerial installed and bought her a small 20" Samsung LCD HDTV not long back. You should have sen the look on their faces when I appeared at the door and asked them just what this 'Digital aerial' is, and is it just a way to con the elderly and the gullible out of their money?
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Internet televisions?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,522
    Forum Member

No, it's basically a scam - one that DigitalUK are trying hard to stamp out.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, as others have said, there are loads of different options. :)

Some modern TVs can connect directly to the internet through ethernet cable to router (or Homeplug), to access the TV catch-up services such as BBC iPlayer etc, and other services like You-tube etc.
    Tell us the model you're getting, and we'll tell you wether yours can. :)

Some set top boxes can also connect to the internet in a similar way.

All laptops and PCs can be connected to the TV in some fashion, to show internet content that way.