Options

Joe's Single is actually a cover? Damn!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,687
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was so excited about it actually being a really good first post-x factor single. Akin to Bleeding Love. And it turns out it's a cover! By a band called Donkeyboy who nobody has heard of, of course. I know the alternative would just have been Cathy Dennis' minions cooking up Joe's song anyway - but still. I take it you all knew about this already? Blimey.

Here's the original - for those who haven't heard.

http://open.spotify.com/track/4OSRg1faLprPCt86C80zWt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_WQ6u9os50

Comments

• Options
    TheElfTheElf Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to tell you, but technically Bleeding Love is also a cover.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is that I would never have heard Donkeyboy's Ambition if certain posters hadn't raved about it in the Music forum for weeks after it's initial release :o

April! :D
  • Options
    Uroboros1Uroboros1 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    silentNate wrote: »
    The thing is that I would never have heard Donkeyboy's Ambition if certain posters hadn't raved about it in the Music forum for weeks after it's initial release :o

The way Joe's sales and radio air time is going anyone who didn't watch X Factor last sunday won't hear Joe's "Ambition" either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheElf wrote: »

WHAT. It's the tooth fairy not existing all over again...:p
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uroboros1 wrote: »
    The way Joe's sales and radio air time is going anyone who didn't watch X Factor last sunday won't hear Joe's "Ambition" either.

It's a pretty piss-poor cover version so boo-hoo :p:D
  • Options
    TheElfTheElf Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catzy wrote: »
    WHAT. It's the tooth fairy not existing all over again...:p

Don't worry the tooth fairy is real :D!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry the tooth fairy is real :D!

Thank christ for that! Alright Elf, all is forgiven.

Bring back David Sneddon, that's what I say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It joins the Climb and three other cover songs going onto his 11 track album.

Terrible in my eyes, you cover maybe one song on an album and save them for the touring, when you need some songs to fill up your set-list during the first-album era then afterwords maybe only one cover live and save them for those radio1 live sessions. (which now occurs toa thought if joe went on that he'd be doing a cover then another cover!)
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catzy wrote: »
    I was so excited about it actually being a really good first post-x factor single. Akin to Bleeding Love. And it turns out it's a cover! By a band called Donkeyboy who nobody has heard of, of course. I know the alternative would just have been Cathy Dennis' minions cooking up Joe's song anyway - but still. I take it you all knew about this already? Blimey.

Here's the original - for those who haven't heard.

http://open.spotify.com/track/4OSRg1faLprPCt86C80zWt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_WQ6u9os50

I prefer this version to Joe's : it sounds much more authentic :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member

Really? I know it was written by Ryan Tedder for another artist but Tedder gave it to Leona instead after hearing her voice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SonnyJim88 wrote: »
    Really? I know it was written by Ryan Tedder for another artist but Tedder gave it to Leona instead after hearing her voice.

I don't know for sure but I think Jesse McCartney had already recorded it but then gave it away to Leona.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BP4L wrote: »
    I don't know for sure but I think Jesse McCartney had already recorded it but then gave it away to Leona.

I thought it was written for Beyonce, but she didnt want it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was written for Beyonce, but she didnt want it?

Just checked Wiki and it was indeed co-written and recorded by Jesse McCartney for his third album but his label didn't like it or want it, so it was then given to Leona. It doesn't mention anything about Beyonce though.
  • Options
    CARA2000CARA2000 Posts: 10,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It perhaps is about expectation?

Last year's XF showcased people who mostly at best sang out of tune and at worst couldn't even sing at all and were there to be potential merchandise spinners. Some viewers were looking to be mildly entertained, others wanted a truely excellent vocalist. The ultimate prize was a recording contract so for many, one would assume, the star vocalist should win the prize.

For those who were mediocre or less expectations were never going to be high. Therefore, anything that followed was always going to be a bonus for those who supported them unquestionably.

For the likes of Leona and Joe with their 'pitch perfect' offerings every week of the competion, expectation was always going to be extremely high. Drat! Both have produced covers. Shock horror! :eek:

I say, "Who cares?"

Someone else who doesn't seem to be bothered either. I found their take on things quite interesting. :rolleyes:

http://unrealityshout.com/blogs/single-review-joe-mcelderry-ambitions

"Well, because the cover is quite frankly - considering you have the ability to get off your high horse about that fact it isn’t an original song - very good. "
  • Options
    River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good song is a good song, and if you're a singer you shouldn't be afraid of cover versions. And Joe is a singer, just at the moment, not a song writer.
    Sadly, IMHO, ambitions is not a good song. or maybe just not a good song for him.
    the B side is a lot better, they should have gone with that.
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    It's not really true to say that "nobody has heard of" Donkeyboy; as silentNate has pointed out there was quite a lot of buzz about them back at the start of the year and talk of them maybe breaking through in the UK in 2010. I think this has hampered Joe because most music journalists, reviewers, radio pluggers, bloggers etc were very familiar with the Donkeyboy original - it was only April this year that the band themselves were trying to get it released properly in the UK. I think this is part of Joe's problem - it's a cover, but it's not obscure enough.

I'd certainly heard of Donkeyboy and remember watching their video to Ambitions months ago - it's the sort of video that you tend to remember.
    CARA2000 wrote: »
    It perhaps is about expectation?

Last year's XF showcased people who mostly at best sang out of tune and at worst couldn't even sing at all and were there to be potential merchandise spinners. Some viewers were looking to be mildly entertained, others wanted a truely excellent vocalist. The ultimate prize was a recording contract so for many, one would assume, the star vocalist should win the prize.

For those who were mediocre or less expectations were never going to be high. Therefore, anything that followed was always going to be a bonus for those who supported them unquestionably.

For the likes of Leona and Joe with their 'pitch perfect' offerings every week of the competion, expectation was always going to be extremely high. Drat! Both have produced covers. Shock horror! :eek:

I say, "Who cares?"

Someone else who doesn't seem to be bothered either. I found their take on things quite interesting. :rolleyes:

http://unrealityshout.com/blogs/single-review-joe-mcelderry-ambitions

"Well, because the cover is quite frankly - considering you have the ability to get off your high horse about that fact it isn’t an original song - very good. "

Some of the other comments from that article are also very true and for me sum up why Joe's version of this song is inferior:

"In regards to the original, well I must say Joe's cover is nowhere near as emotive as Donkeyboy's original version; the song is meant to be about giving up on your ambitions; a melancholy pop song. Syco's production team have made it sound a bit too happy, considering the lyrical context. But if you ask me, all that's wrong with this record is Simon Cowell's fault: Joe doesn't put a foot wrong."

IMO the original was so successfull (even if it was only in Scandinavia) because it's actually a sad song, it's about the danger of wasting your life and it had a video that got this message across brilliantly and that clearly struck a chord with so many people. Joe's version manages to completely miss what made the original so powerful - sure, this is down to Syco rather than Joe himself, but who's fault that is is irrelevant really - the song just doesn't work as well as the original.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have my own preference on Joe's Ambitions. ;) Thing is I heard the happy version first. ;):D
  • Options
    NienaNiena Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    I really can't see Joe lasting more than this fall... it would require one hell of a song to keep that boy swimming and that wasn't it.

I like the Donkeyboy's original but sang cheerily as Joe does it, the lyrics loose all impact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As it said in that article re Donkeyboys version:

"the song is meant to be about giving up on your ambitions; a melancholy pop song"

Hardly the sort of song to put out with so much doom and gloom around in the current Economic Climate. I am in business and you have no idea how many other businesses I am dealing with who have people managing or working within who have worked hard for years, been ambitious, studied hard, flogged at their jobs only to find it all going belly up. Largely through no fault of their own.

To watch this happen every day to such high-calibre people is excrutiating.

Thank Goodness Donkeyboy's' version wasn't played to make it worse. You would have had people definitely complaining then.:(

Joe says he wants people to have fun with his version. I hope it can lift people. :D
  • Options
    lovecat86lovecat86 Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    All post X-Factor singles by the winners are pee-poor covers, that's why it makes me giggle when people get into a furoar about acts like Jedward and Wagner and even Cher and claim that these acts make a mockery... erm, XF does that all by itself :p

I actually quite liked Beat Again by JLS. Was that an original song?
  • Options
    marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a cover but its an unknown cover. not the same thing really if youve never heard the orignal and it was ever likely to be played in the UK as well.
  • Options
    SweetlikeheavenSweetlikeheaven Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    lovecat86 wrote: »
    All post X-Factor singles by the winners are pee-poor covers, that's why it makes me giggle when people get into a furoar about acts like Jedward and Wagner and even Cher and claim that these acts make a mockery... erm, XF does that all by itself :p

I actually quite liked Beat Again by JLS.Was that an original song?

Yep Beat Again was an original song
  • Options
    ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    It's obviously a small entertainment world Simon Cowell inhabits.

A few things seem to be revolving around connections with Tobias Mead, who danced 'backwards' on BGT.

He breakdances on Donkeyboy's video to this song - he is the centre of the storyline.

A member of FYD, Alex, appeared in the Living TV show Dirty Dancing, alongside Tobias Mead.

http://www.livingtv.co.uk/shows/dirty-dancing/dancers/meet-the-dancers.php?ssid=11