Preventing frozen pipes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
Forum Member
Does anyone know of a small electric heater I can put in the loft to stop the pipes freezing?

They're already well lagged, but this hasn't stopped them freezing twice in the last fortnight.

All the heaters I've looked at (Screwfix/Amazon/B&Q) look as though they'd be a bit to powerful and expensive to run.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could consider a compact frost protection heater 500W. They're sold on ebay for around £30 delivered.
  • fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try searching for a greenhouse heater (but not a paraffin one, of course!)
  • Raring_to_goRaring_to_go Posts: 20,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you using the correct insulation on the pipes.

The link
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you using the correct insulation on the pipes.

The link

Fit that round the pipes and then cover with a layer of ordinary loft insulation and it will take one hell of a low temperature to freeze them.
  • Raring_to_goRaring_to_go Posts: 20,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Fit that round the pipes and then cover with a layer of ordinary loft insulation and it will take one hell of a low temperature to freeze them.

An important point is not to prevent the convection of heat from the house reaching the pipes.

My system was recently put to the test with –12 C and it was okay....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know of a small electric heater I can put in the loft to stop the pipes freezing?

They're already well lagged, but this hasn't stopped them freezing twice in the last fortnight.

All the heaters I've looked at (Screwfix/Amazon/B&Q) look as though they'd be a bit to powerful and expensive to run.

A small oil filled radiator would be enough. They also recommend you leave the loft hatch open.

I agree with what others have said, you require more insulation on the pipes though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it water pipes or a plastic condensate pipe that're freezing?
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andykel wrote: »
    Is it water pipes or a plastic condensate pipe that're freezing?

What would a plastic condensate pipe be doing in a loft?
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Could be the condesation drip drain from an extractor fan or a roof vent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mayhaps the boiler is installed in the loft. :rolleyes:

I know as much as we've been told, and we haven't been told what's freezing.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leaving the tap dripping a little during the night, the flow of water usually stops ours from freezing.
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,161
    Forum Member
    You keep the loft hatch open a little all winter, obviously?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also try removing the insulation under the pipe so the heat from the house can warm it up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    Also try removing the insulation under the pipe so the heat from the house can warm it up.

Strangely enough, that did the trick - on his second call-out the plumber said that the insulation was keeping the cold in :confused:

Anyway, thanks everyone for your advice, I've done as some of you have suggested, left the hatch open, and installed an oil filled radiator underneath :)