Options

Animals Versus Beatles

zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
Forum Member
✭✭
HI who do you prefer, animals or the Beatles ?? I like the animals. and some of the Beatles songs, I think the animals just come out on top for me.

Comments

• Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    HI who do you prefer, animals or the Beatles ?? I like the animals. and some of the Beatles songs, I think the animals just come out on top for me.

Stop it
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Animals such as bats, birds, hedgehogs, moles, meerkats, owls and badgers prey on Beetles, so obviously in the food chain Animals are clearly better than Beetles.

Oh sorry I misunderstood you are talking about 1960s British Beat Groups. Well that's no contest The Beatles (aptly pronounced Beat Alls) are the greatest musical act of the 20th Century.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two very different bands. Love them both.

The Beatles were much more prolific, wrote countless brilliant songs, made albums that put most other albums to shame and were years ahead of all their sixties rivals.

The Animals recorded "House Of The Rising Sun", which I prefer to anything the Beatles or any other British sixties band recorded, and they were also one of the best, if not the best British exponents of American rhythm 'n' blues.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prefer the animals, just. the beatles were the greatest act factually.

love
    "inside looking out"
    "its my life"
  • Options
    MarshallFishMarshallFish Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    The Beatles were better, no question. However, John Lennon was a fan of The Animals when they were first becoming popular. Nowadays, Bruce Springsteen cited The Animals as one of his favorite bands when he was a teenager, especially liking We Gotta Get Out of This Place (he mentioned it during his South By Southwest keynote speech this year).In fact, Bruce played It's My Life at several of his 1970's concerts with the E Street Band.

Marshall

My article on Five Paul McCartney collectible CD's:
    http://marshfish.hubpages.com/hub/Five-collectible-Paul-McCartney-related-compact-disc-releases
  • Options
    robinrobin Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    No contest, The Beatles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that if it were not for The Beatles then the chances are that groups such as The Animals or The Searchers may not have had a hook to hang their coats on. The Animals were a fine band and have their place but it will always be behind The Beatles.
  • Options
    DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prefer Pink Floyd - Animals:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spiderpig wrote: »
    I would say that if it were not for The Beatles then the chances are that groups such as The Animals or The Searchers may not have had a hook to hang their coats on. The Animals were a fine band and have their place but it will always be behind The Beatles.

hmmm, im not so sure tbh. i think theres a good chance that pop groups would have appeared anyway.

im not 'dissing' the beatles legacy, they did it, fact, they spearheaded and popularised the pop group format, but if there was no beatles, someone else would have done it or several acts would have done it im sure.
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    hmmm, im not so sure tbh. i think theres a good chance that pop groups would have appeared anyway.

im not 'dissing' the beatles legacy, they did it, fact, they spearheaded and popularised the pop group format, but if there was no beatles, someone else would have done it or several acts would have done it im sure.

The same could apply to more or less any human innovation.

If Darwin hadn't come up with evolution by means of natural selection, someone else would have done so. (Of course, in actual fact Wallace did and they presented together).

If Einstein hadn't come up with relativity, someone else would have.

The list goes on.

It doesn't stop us lauding innovators for what they did.
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    Well we have Chas Chandler to thank for the Jimi Hendrix Experience ultimately. Had Chas not convinced Jimi to come to England, would Jimi have met Noel and Mitch?

However, The Animals recorded some excellent tracks. My favourite is their take on 'Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood' with 'We've Gotta Get Out Of This Place' a close second.

The Beatles win for me overall though.
  • Options
    SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Animals were good but this isn't really a question, of course The Beatles!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get the Beatles, I no their music is considered revolutionary but I don't consider any of the songs I've heard from them to be that great. Vastly overrated in my opinion. I know they did like the first music video and much more but it doesn't mean they were the best at it.

And i don't get how they are called a rock band, they are about as rock as McFly.

Plus I've never really heard any of The Animals music so I can't really comment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HandsClean wrote: »
    I don't get the Beatles, I no their music is considered revolutionary but I don't consider any of the songs I've heard from them to be that great. Vastly overrated in my opinion. I know they did like the first music video and much more but it doesn't mean they were the best at it.

And i don't get how they are called a rock band, they are about as rock as McFly.

Plus I've never really heard any of The Animals music so I can't really comment.

It really depends how you define Rock music. If it is merely a contraction of the term "rock 'n' roll", then of course the Beatles are a rock band, because they played a set of rock 'n' roll at the Cavern and in Hamburg, and tracks like "I'm Down", "Back In The USSR" and "Get Back" are unquestionably rock 'n' roll. If your definition of rock, is as something quite different from rock 'n' roll, e.g. the sort of music played by the likes of Queen, Pink Floyd or Bon Jovi, then the Beatles most certainly cannot be called a rock band, because they're so much better than that. ;)

The Animals were actually an (exceptionally good) R'n'B band, back in those halcyon days when the term stood for Rhythm 'n' Blues rather than Rihanna 'n' Beyonce (or Rubbish 'n' B*ll*cks).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HandsClean wrote: »

to understand what the beatles did, you have to view them in context. by todays standards you might think whats all the fuss about? but back in the 60's they cut new ground, even IF it was basic stuff. they started out as a very basic beat group, but within a few years had created tracks that have stood the test of time, their true influence is immessurable.

they are considered the most influencial act of all time for a reason you know, admired and respected by all across the spectrum of music, from musicians, producers, composers, over a long period of time. if you dont get it. maybe its your perception thats wrong, unless you know more then the rest of the music industry over the last 50 years! :p:D

oh and theres considerable doubt who did the first music video, queens 'bohemian rhapsody' is often cited as the first purpose made one, but acts in the 60's created films (pre video) for their singles. the beatles used film clips off their films 'help' and 'a hard days night' but they were extracts, not purpose made.

i know the yardbirds in 65 made a purpose made film to accompany their first hit 'for your love', there are probably older ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no other group or act has ever gone from this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoF-7VMMihA (she loves you)

to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spjcPS4ekOA (tomorrow never knows)

in 3 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i know the yardbirds in 65 made a purpose made film to accompany their first hit 'for your love', there are probably older ones.

Much, much, much older!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_video
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While the Beatles are my fave band of all-time and surely the most creative, the Animals recorded quite a few distinctive songs themselves. As well as House of the Rising Sun, they had Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, It's My Life, I'm Crying, San Fransiscan Nights and a few other notable songs.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Much prefer the Animals. Always found the Beatles a bit Meh tbh.
  • Options
    SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know its snobbery, but its hard to take someone seriously who says they don't "understand" the Beatles or that they're "overrated". :rolleyes: You have to look at it in the context of the time period and the ways they changed how the music industry worked. and yes the music is f*cking brilliant as well.
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it was the Animals all the way and they were brilliant at what they did

Having said that I also liked the Beatles and history shows they have had a more long term impact on music in general
  • Options
    SILLY SUESILLY SUE Posts: 5,499
    Forum Member
    Both bands have done some fab songs. From The Animals I particularly like 'Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood' and 'We've Gotta Get Out of This Place'. Of course their 'House of the Rising Sun' is also a classic.

With The Beatles I especially like their albums 'Revolver' and 'Sgt Pepper'. A very diverse band.