How do i keep myself signed in to the internet

2»

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I never mind helping people, but one thing that really gets my back up is when they don't bother to describe the problem properly.

I wouldn't care if the person has little or no technical knowledge,l it's the inability to walk us through what they are doing to get the problem. It requires little or no technical knowledge to at least try and describe the issue well, otherwise we're just guessing and it takes much longer.

Is it worth trying a sticky?

If you want help, please provide the following:
    Make and model of your PC
    Operating system and version
    Describe the problem, including any error messages
    When did the problem start, and had you done anything specific beforehand?

Instructions on how to post a screenshot would be good too.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    I never mind helping people, but one thing that really gets my back up is when they don't bother to describe the problem properly.

That winds me up too. Especially when you know it's going to take a few dozen posts before you manage to coax the actual problem and relevant details out of people. And then they don't provide any helpful feedback to the instructions you give and just reply with 'didn't' work'. That is, if they bother to reply at all.

I tend to skip those kinds of threads nowadays, as it just takes too much time and effort. It's far easier to help someone who is prepared to help themselves.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wsg wrote: »
    Grouty thank you for those kind words its nice to know some people are understanding

I know what its like, i knew absolute bugger all about anything when i got my first PC :)
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    That winds me up too. Especially when you know it's going to take a few dozen posts before you manage to coax the actual problem and relevant details out of people. And then they don't provide any helpful feedback to the instructions you give and just reply with 'didn't' work'. That is, if they bother to reply at all.

I tend to skip those kinds of threads nowadays, as it just takes too much time and effort. It's far easier to help someone who is prepared to help themselves.

I know, I do it for a living now and have done for 5 years so I typically am curious and read but don't reply unless the person has tried to find the answer first and done some work to try and figure it out.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, I do it for a living now and have done for 5 years so I typically am curious and read but don't reply unless the person has tried to find the answer first and done some work to try and figure it out.

It winds me up too. The only thing that is required to explain a problem is English writing skills. Is that too much to ask for?
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »

I asked DS if they would consider a sticky a few months ago. The thing is, the type of OP who doesn't describe their problem in any detail isn't going to read the sticky anyway, so is there any point in having one? My view is that it wouldn't hurt to try, would it? Perhaps if all of us submitted a request for a sticky, it would happen. Have any of you asked for one by contacting DS like I did?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    I asked DS if they would consider a sticky a few months ago. The thing is, the type of OP who doesn't describe their problem in any detail isn't going to read the sticky anyway, so is there any point in having one? My view is that it wouldn't hurt to try, would it? Perhaps if all of us submitted a request for a sticky, it would happen. Have any of you asked for one by contacting DS like I did?

The only type of forum i've seen it work is where loads of people have "check the sticky" in their sigs, but DS doesn't have sigs any way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is an absolutely true story. A friend of mine called up a while ago, one who I always help with PC issues and he told me he "hadn't got enough Java", It made me laugh.

He's also had horrible things on his PC, hijacking google. A friend on MSN sent him a message saying the smileys were cool and because he knew the the person he happily installed them aghhh!

Every time I go round, I have to fix something despite trying to set him up to be more secure and trying to give him some basic do's and don't's, he has got better though.

oh and "don't remove the toolbars" (the ones reducing the size of the browser by a 1/3).
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Every time I go round, I have to fix something

That's another thing that winds me up. Whenever I visit anyone, it'll always include the line 'While you're here, can you take a look at this...'

'This' can be anything electric with buttons or a screen, which apparently makes it a bit like a computer, so therefore I must know how to work it, fix it or teach them how to use it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    That's another thing that winds me up. Whenever I visit anyone, it'll always include the line 'While you're here, can you take a look at this...'

'This' can be anything electric with buttons or a screen, which apparently makes it a bit like a computer, so therefore I must know how to work it, fix it or teach them how to use it.

Yeah I've had that, the surround sound system wasn't working properly last time! I'd have no more of an idea than him except we worked through it logically, are the wires all connected correctly, are they shorting etc.. I don't think we fixed that one, but he's never got me with a PC problem, I've always fixed those.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »

evil c wrote: »

Agree with the mods.
    if some people cant be bothered with providing the basics or using Google, they are not going to read a sticky.

But, i do think a link or sticky should be provided with instructions on how to post a screenshot.

We could at least direct people towards that, instead of typing several repiles and wasting time trying to tell people how to do it.