Celebs who pile on the weight, say they are happy and then.....

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Zora wrote: »
    I'm a larger woman (size 22) and at this point in my life I have accepted I'll always be large, mainly due to medication I simply can't do without and a history of mental illness which fueled overeating when I was younger. I've accepted that I will never be a size 10 and now I just try really hard to keep further weight from piling on, which has been working thus far. I would like to try and lose a couple of stone before I get into my 40s and the weight becomes truly impossible to shift but at the moment I'm as happy in myself as is possible to be given my circumstances, and I just can't believe there is such a big market for endless stories of celebrity weight loss/weight gain, fitness DVDs and the like. It boggles my mind that there is a whole industry based around z-listers attention whoring over their weight.

If you actually wanted to lose the weight, you would.
    Those who can, do and those who don't want to, make excuses.
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Emmersonne.

But the problem isn't losing the weight it's keeping it off. A diet isn't for 6 months its for life and that's really tough, particularly given that many of them are are only possible for a quick fix. It also doesn't help that people like Jamie Oliver who are trying to help in a meaningful way ( ok he can seem patronising but the advice and ideas is good) are mocked. Teaching people how to cook real food will make a difference.

Ironically, I feel more positive about WWers now, after falling "off the wagon" for 12 months (just after getting my 20lb milestone), finally facing the scales and realising they hadn't budged one bit.

Enough had "stuck" out of the lessons on portion control, loading up with veggies and cooking from scratch to stop me putting the weight back on without actively dieting. Before WWers I would gain weight whenever I wasn't trying to lose it, a real yo-yo dieter

So I slunk back, expecting to have 40lbs to lose instead of 28, and to my delight I could pick up exactly where I left off :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done - it must be a really nice feeling. I'd do the same if I could but I've accepted I'm just always going to be built on the bigger side. Which I hope doesn't sound lazy - I've tried and succeeded in losing quite a lot of weight each time over the years - but I have other things which need focusing on at the moment. Anyway, people need to do what feels right and congrats to those who get to where they want to be and manage to stay there. :)

I know what you mean, I was a skinny minny before I left university, then gained nearly four stone in two years :eek::eek:

It's easier for me to stick my skinny photos to the fridge and say "that's me, that's what I am going to look like" than trying to imagine myself skinnier than I ever have been, if that makes sense? I can believe I will fit in a size 10 again, but not an 8, because a size 8 me has never existed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LuckyLeaf wrote: »
    If you actually wanted to lose the weight, you would.
    Those who can, do and those who don't want to, make excuses.

Please, don't go there. You do not know me, or my circumstances. Why is there always some closed-minded, judgemental idiot who has to come along to sneer and spout out these sort of comments? People with this attitude do more harm than good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please, don't go there. You do not know me, or my circumstances. Why is there always some closed-minded, judgemental idiot who has to come along to sneer and spout out these sort of comments? People with this attitude do more harm than good.

*hugs for Zora*

It is MUCH better to be accepting of who you are, in my opinion.

I was a borderline anorexic teen, a happy larger lady, a downright miserable larger lady and now working towards being a slim, happy lady. The reason I quit WWers for a year was I was under a lot of stress and worried myself that I was going to slip back into my anorexic ways with food (I'd find myself planning to fast for several days, then tell myself NO it isn't a good thing to do)

Mental health is precious and it is very easy to get into a destructive cycle with food. If you think you're in danger of hurting yourself by "Going there", don't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    *hugs for Zora*

It is MUCH better to be accepting of who you are, in my opinion.

I was a borderline anorexic teen, a happy larger lady, a downright miserable larger lady and now working towards being a slim, happy lady. The reason I quit WWers for a year was I was under a lot of stress and worried myself that I was going to slip back into my anorexic ways with food (I'd find myself planning to fast for several days, then tell myself NO it isn't a good thing to do)

Mental health is precious and it is very easy to get into a destructive cycle with food. If you think you're in danger of hurting yourself by "Going there", don't.

Thanks. :)

I don't get genuinely angry/upset at LuckyLeaf's brand of ignorance these days because it's not like you can get through to the closed-minded, but I needed to respond anyway.

I like how you've just highlighted how complex weight loss/gain is. It's a VERY psychological thing and those who try to say otherwise either can't have gone through it or are just naturally smug, holier-than-thou types. At least there's people like you who "get" it, which makes things a bit more bearable for people like me. :)