Options

Horse Racing 2015

Comments

• Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barry Geraghty will miss the ride on leading Grand National runner The Druids Nephew after suffering a hairline fracture to his left tibia in a fall at Downpatrick on Sunday.

While Geraghty did not take up his ride in the following race, his injury was not thought to be serious, with the rider believing he had only bruised his shin.
    However, later in the afternoon Geraghty went to hospital in Blanchardstown, Dublin, for an X-ray which confirmed he will miss the Aintree spectacular on April 11.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/465/9772758/geraghty-suffers-hairline-fracture-to-left-tibia-in-downpatrick-fall

Watched this at the time and you wouldn't have thought he had a broken leg as he got up with help) and walked away
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    Shane Kelly at it again. Time to start handing out some more serious bans. 10 days is absolutely pathetic for a repeat offender who makes our sport look rancid almost every time he sits on a horse at the moment.
    The Stewards held an enquiry into the running and riding of WICKHAMBROOK (IRE), ridden by Shane Kelly and trained by Mike Murphy, which was tenderly ridden in the home straight to finish third, beaten a short head for second place. They interviewed the rider and the trainer’s representative. They also received a report from the Veterinary Officer who confirmed that a post-race examination of the gelding failed to reveal any abnormalities. The rider explained that this was WICKHAMBROOK (IRE)’s first run for the yard and his instructions were to drop in, get the gelding to relax and to do his best work at the end of the race because previously the gelding had made the running and the trainer felt he had been doing too much in front. He added that WICKHAMBROOK (IRE) had settled in rear off a generous place and travelled well into the straight but he failed to find as much as he had expected when he asked the gelding to pick up one furlong out. The trainer’s representative confirmed the instructions and that he was satisfied with the ride that was given to WICKHAMBROOK (IRE). Having heard their evidence and viewed recordings of the race the Stewards found the rider in breach of Rule (B)59.4 and guilty of failing to take all reasonable and permissible measures to obtain the best possible placing. They suspended him for 10 days as follows: Monday 6, Tuesday 7, Wednesday 8, Thursday 9, Friday 10, Saturday 11, Monday 13, Tuesday 14, Wednesday 15 and Thursday 16 April.

http://www.britishhorseracing.com/race-info/stewards-reports/

Kelly's explanation is quality though in fairness ("failed to find as much as expected"). Almost like he's talking to someone who didn't see the race and knows nothing about racing. Which is probably a good description of stewards nowadays.

Enjoy the holiday, Shane. I see even Daniel Loughnane is turning to other riders like Kirby and Morris.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7/7 favourites went in at Wolverhampton this afternoon for a near 650/1 accumulator:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davethecue wrote: »
    7/7 favourites went in at Wolverhampton this afternoon for a near 650/1 accumulator:o
    Doubt many would have chucked even a quid on it though. A number of the races had a fairly open feel about them, and to be honest the odds are quite poor considering how rare that is although I accept the average favourite SP today was a fair bit lower than a typical all-weather card. Sir Keating looks a nice type for the Kevin Ryan team.

Also although he didn't win the race I thought it was some effort to finish 2nd on Daring Dragon by Renato Souza. I've been quite impressed with him as a rider, deserves more opportunities this summer and I hope he gets them. He first came to my attention riding a horse called See And Be Seen for Sylvester Kirk to good effect which at one point was about his only ride, and now I see he's getting chances with Derek Shaw. A jockey with his talent should be doing a lot better than 30 odd rides a season anyway, so his agent wants firing if that's the best he can do for him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Today's gone the other way with 1/2, 4/11 and 1/20 shots beaten in the first 3 races. :eek:

I think that 1/20 is the shortest price favourite to be beaten on the flat in the last decade or so at least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Today's gone the other way with 1/2, 4/11 and 1/20 shots beaten in the first 3 races. :eek:

I think that 1/20 is the shortest price favourite to be beaten on the flat in the last decade or so at least.

Wow

Lots of accumulators and doubles/trebles etc will have gone down on those opening results
    7 races gone and no winning fav yet. Strange how that seems to happen after a big fav winning day

I think Pearl nation may stop the rot here...(he'll probably drift to 2nd fav though....)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Pearl nation may stop the rot here...(he'll probably drift to 2nd fav though....)
    Good call. Incredible how much improvement Appleby has got out of the horse. I always knew he had ability, especially on the fibresand, but Baugh couldn't win a handicap with him off marks in the mid 70s, much to my financial detriment at the time.

I see Chris Dixon of Racing UK fame is one of the new owners. Shrewd bit of business.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've given the AW a miss this winter by and large........been looking at the jumps instead

New flat season starts on Saturday with the Lincoln day at Donny......I don't think I can ever remember a more low key build up to the start of the flat
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Good call. Incredible how much improvement Appleby has got out of the horse. I always knew he had ability, especially on the fibresand, but Baugh couldn't win a handicap with him off marks in the mid 70s, much to my financial detriment at the time.

I see Chris Dixon of Racing UK fame is one of the new owners. Shrewd bit of business.

Didn't realise that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some few days it's been for longshots...

27 Mar - Maybelater (66/1) LINGFIELD
    27 Mar - Gentlemen (100/1) WOLVERHAMPTON
    28 Mar - Oyster Shell (40/1) STRATFORD
    29 Mar - Ramone (100/1) CURRAGH
    31 Mar - Misu Mac (66/1) SOUTHWELL
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrible fall for Lewis Ferguson at the last fence at Wincanton today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/32154522

thankfully he got up and walked away.:o
  • Options
    Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw that on the BBC site, I've honestly never seen that happen before!

Like something out of gymnastics, incredible he didn't get seriously injured from that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was watching live on RUK this afternoon........that was incredible

I couldn't believe when he was just walking off a minute later !
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the riding doesn't go well he could have a great career as a gymnast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing escape by the jockey with his Olga Korbut skills

Compared to Jamie Moore who didn't make the start:o

Joshua Moore is set to come in for the ride on Sire De Grugy after brother Jamie suffered a broken leg in a fall at Towcester on Wednesday
    Jamie was due to partner the Laura Young-trained Kap West in the Haygain Hay Steamers Clean Healthy Forage Handicap Chase, but his mount fell on the walkway that leads to the track.

Moore was taken to hospital where his injuries were confirmed.

The rider's father and trainer of Sire De Grugy Gary Moore said: "He's broken his leg and I'm not sure how it happened. It was just one of those crazy things and I feel so sorry for him.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/465/9784776/horseracing-jamie-moore-breaks-leg-in-fall
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Ante-post Derby favourite, John F Kennedy, about to run at Leopardstown

1/4 in a 3 runner race
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last of 3 beaten about 10 lengths :o
  • Options
    DartGuruDartGuru Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last of 3 beaten about 10 lengths :o

Looked very ring rusty as well.
    He may just not be the real deal, but still another O'Brien horse that given the right route could win big money. Like Camelot IMO. Half decent in a poor year but not as good as he was made out to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of O'Briens early season horses tend to need the run........it's often worth opposing them at short prices in the early weeks

Looking at the RP I see that he's had 14 runners in the last 14 days and only 1 has won
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good to read on Twitter from Philip Hobbs that Balthazar King is making steady progress following his Aintree fall.

https://twitter.com/PJHobbs1/status/587541541796843520
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couple of firsts today.

The first offspring of Canford Cliffs is running, Thee And Me in the 5f maiden at Beverley 230. Canford Cliffs never raced over 5f and the dam Lake Ladoga is unraced, but it's sire Green Desert has a good record with 5f offspring, so there's something in the bloodline worth keeping an eye on. Still, the bookies aren't jumping up and down and at 12/1 is probably just one to watch today.

Secondly, Simon Crisford has his first UK runner today. The former Godolphin racing manager has had runners at Meydan recently but today marks his first UK outing with Mutawathea in the 715 at Kempton. He has some interesting Arab backing including Hamdan Al Maktoum (including a few 2yo) and Abdulla Al Mansoori amongst others.

Also, I see South African Keagan Latham is back on these shores at Kempton riding for Lady Cecil. The Racing Post haven't quite caught up yet and have him as a new jockey. He rode for Ger Lyons in 2011, rode Sole Power for Ed Lynam and has been riding back in South Africa of late. I remember him being quite a decent jockey back in the day (he's still only 24-ish) but his SA record is nothing to write home about this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's like the Flat season proper gets going today after the false start of the last 3 weeks

Craven Meeting followed by Greenham Meeting

The Guineas trials are not as important as they used to be but can still throw up contenders. Hannon usually send his Guineas horse to the Greenham and the Craven and Greenham winners invariably turn out to be a group one horses even if they don't win the Guineas
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, nothing from Keagan Latham's runner, and Thee And Me ran a bit green unsurprisingly but might be worth a look at over 6-7f, but Simon Crisford's runner gave me a nice return running out an easy 16/1 winner. I'm sure they won't ALL be that profitable :-) Today he saddles Al Bandar in the 340 at Ripon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heard a couple of things over the weekend about a new film based on a horse racing story

Dark Horse : The Incredible True Story of Dream Alliance is a documentary film about Dream Alliance, the winner of the 2009 Welsh National

It's getting a general release this week and they're discussing it on the film programme on radio 4...........and it's getting a rave review !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flat racing at Wetherby gets underway this afternoon..........