Whats Christmas Day like abroad?

boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
Forum Member
✭✭
I realised yest that Ive never experienced Christmas day outside of the UK and Im wondering if many of you have, and if so what was it like? Is it similar/different abroad? Whats it like in countries with very different cultures? Or OZ, in the summer?

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    same difference ain't it
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    same difference ain't it

Is it?? You been abroad on Xmas day?
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have experienced a German and American Christmas.

I found it was great as the festivities weren't focussed around just getting drunk.

I took Christmas Crackers both times as something from England :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyresa wrote: »

I found it was great as the festivities weren't focussed around just getting drunk.

Yeah Ive heard theyre a British thing!:D

I was at a house party recently and there were these 2 Taiwanese girls there. We introduced them to the cracker experience including the paper hat.:D:D
  • wmoorewmoore Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am originally from New Zealand and Christmas is pretty much the same expect it's 20-25degrees
    instead of -2 degrees. Most people either have turkey or ham and some go for lamb or beef
    with all the usual trimmings. Pudding is either Christmas pudding with custard or pavlova with cream and strawberries. Some will do a BBQ at the beach. Most people seem to go for a walk
    in the afternoon or sleep.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've spent it in loads of different places. I think my favourite christmas dinner was beef that you barbecued yourself at the table in Saigon, Vietnam.
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    wmoore wrote: »
    I am originally from New Zealand and Christmas is pretty much the same expect it's 20-25degrees
    instead of -2 degrees. Most people either have turkey or ham and some go for lamb or beef
    with all the usual trimmings. Pudding is either Christmas pudding with custard or pavlova with cream and strawberries. Some will do a BBQ at the beach. Most people seem to go for a walk
    in the afternoon or sleep.

'Cept you might have a hangi and some DB's eh bro?
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    In Poland, Christmas is all about Christmas Eve really, with the following day traditionally spend seeing one's extended family or just hanging out at home.

Christmas Eve kicks off once the first star appears (with people taking a guess if it's a cloudy night) - that's the moment you can start opening your prezzies. Then there's the food. The only meat allowed is fish - which is usually carp - but the feast can't begin until everyone's had a little bit of Oplatek, which is a kind of rice paper or wafer with religious pictures imposed onto it. It's meant to be a symbol representing Christ and people wish one another well as they share it around the table. The more religious the family the more of a blessing involved. There are other common traditions like putting a bit of hay under the table, having a spare plate for an unexpected guest and having 12 dishes to represent the 12 apostles. Then there's the Midnight Mass at the local church... Oh, and some say that animals get to talk at midnight. :D
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    kyresa wrote: »

Good thread as iv never experienced Xmas outside uk.
    I dont think we know how to have fun without being rat arsed in this country.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    christmas is what you make it yourself regardless of where you will be celebrating it
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Spain Christmas Eve is the bigger day really. Christmas Day is like a Sunday and then they give the presents on the 6th of January. New Years Eve is also great in Spain as well.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm from Melbourne in Australia and Christmas day there is not too different from here apart from the weather. We cook the traditional turkey, roast potatoes and Christmas pudding but we also have cold seafood, cold ham, salads and pavlova. My dad cooks the turkey in a BBQ. We're usually outside all day and after lunch, despite the old wife's tale, we jump in the pool. No-one watches TV, except for the cricket, because it's crap at Christmas.
  • wmoorewmoore Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A321 wrote: »
    'Cept you might have a hangi and some DB's eh bro?

indeed :D
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had an xmas in Colorado and it was grim - very unchrismassmy compared to the UK. They go overboard about a month or so before for Thanksgiving and in the Mid-West at least, that seems to be what they focus on. Xmas was little more than just another day - although we were on holiday. The TV is dire, and most of it not any different to a normal day.

I suspect it may be a lot more like a European xmas 'Back East' but where we were - it might as well have been a wet Wednesday in February in Grimsby.

Should add, the only christmassy things that seemed to be happ;ening were with the Taiwanese students, and the Aussies and the Brits so the foreign students 'did' xmas whilst the tonw round us seemed to just do nothing.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often spend Christmas in Spain (and hoping to be there this year if the weather and airports allow!). The big difference is that absolutely everything shuts down on the evening of Christmas Eve for a few hours which is when most people have their big family meal, then the bars reopen at midnight to start the party. Christmas Day itself is a public holiday but most things are still open and public transport still runs - nothing like the total shutdown we get here.

For those who are strictly Catholic, the holiday of Epiphany (6th Jan, "12th night") is more significant than 2th Dec.

And, of course, the big difference is that the weather is usually better!
  • ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    I realised yest that Ive never experienced Christmas day outside of the UK and Im wondering if many of you have, and if so what was it like? Is it similar/different abroad? Whats it like in countries with very different cultures? Or OZ, in the summer?

well in non christian countries it's pretty much just another day

as you'd expect
  • NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    In Poland, Christmas is all about Christmas Eve really, with the following day traditionally spend seeing one's extended family or just hanging out at home.

Christmas Eve kicks off once the first star appears (with people taking a guess if it's a cloudy night) - that's the moment you can start opening your prezzies. Then there's the food. The only meat allowed is fish - which is usually carp - but the feast can't begin until everyone's had a little bit of Oplatek, which is a kind of rice paper or wafer with religious pictures imposed onto it. It's meant to be a symbol representing Christ and people wish one another well as they share it around the table. The more religious the family the more of a blessing involved. There are other common traditions like putting a bit of hay under the table, having a spare plate for an unexpected guest and having 12 dishes to represent the 12 apostles. Then there's the Midnight Mass at the local church... Oh, and some say that animals get to talk at midnight. :D

I often spend christmas in Germany with family and its also all about Christmas Eve and we all go to midnight mass. after which we open our presents. Although we don't just eat fish and as far as I know no hay;) Some of my family live in France and we also did Christmas Eve (though not sure if its because my aunt is German and married a French man).

I spent a lot of christmases in South Africa living by the beach and a lot of people go swim in the sea on Christmas day and even more so on New Years day (its supposed to wash away the old year according to an African tradition). It is very hot on Christmas there but we still did the roasts. I also spent two Christmases in Las Vegas where its easy to ignore christmas as the gambling goes on as usual.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    We had an xmas in Colorado and it was grim - very unchrismassmy compared to the UK. They go overboard about a month or so before for Thanksgiving and in the Mid-West at least, that seems to be what they focus on. Xmas was little more than just another day - although we were on holiday. The TV is dire, and most of it not any different to a normal day.

For most people in the US, Thanksgiving is more important than Christmas. It's a holiday and day off work but most people will be back to work the next day. They don't have the tradition of Boxing Day and, as you say, there aren't really any TV specials.

People in our US office will typically take the 25th and New Years Day off but are working as usual for the next two weeks. The UK office is virtually closed until 4th Jan. They think we are crazy to take so much time off at the coldest time of the year.
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents were to Mauritius 2 yrs ago Christmas and it was HOT! Around 36 degrees c everyday!
  • tongs ya basstongs ya bass Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christmas in oz at 90 degrees was awful. The ozzie xmas sucks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »

Spent the last 6 Christmasses away on holiday. First year we went to Malta. It rained like I had never seen rain before. It was a bit shit tbh.

The last 5 have been spent in Fuerteventura. Spanish Christmas is not Christmas Day but 6th January Three Kings is their thing which to us is the 12th Night. They do have a mini Christmas on Christmas Eve but thats more of a thing for Kids. They have in recent years been adopting Santa but they have better planning than ours. Their Santa is not an old man but a younger hunk :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas in oz at 90 degrees was awful. The ozzie xmas sucks

A Christmas barbie on the beach sounds terrible doesn't it :rolleyes:

I know where I'd rather be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Where I come from, December is hot with temperatures around 28-34C.

When I was young, Christmas was a special time where family members would spend time together feasting and being merry. It would also be the time children will be given new clothes as presents. Christmas Day would start with Mass (my family is Catholic) at 9:00 am and I remember always feeling all excited and glamorous in my new clobber.

The rest of the day would be spent feasting on goat meat, pilau rice, special stews, chapattis, soft drinks, cakes and sweets that we normally not allowed to drink at times other than celebrations, mainly because they were expensive and also because my mother said there were not good for you. Meals were alfresco and buffet-style. We would listen to stories the grown ups would tell about the big city and far away places, play games with our cousins, brothers and sisters, eat and drink and almost always end up in bed with stomach aches but with big smiles on our faces.
  • Velvet GloveVelvet Glove Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christmas Day on the beach in the Caribbean was probably the most relaxing CD I have ever had. Beforehand we went to a party in Nelson's Dockyard, where people had brought down champagne and various other drinks and kept them on ice, various men walking about dressed up as various superheroes and Santa (of course!) with a steel band playing various Christmas tunes. All good fun, and lovely and hot as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    For most people in the US, Thanksgiving is more important than Christmas. It's a holiday and day off work but most people will be back to work the next day. They don't have the tradition of Boxing Day and, as you say, there aren't really any TV specials.

People in our US office will typically take the 25th and New Years Day off but are working as usual for the next two weeks. The UK office is virtually closed until 4th Jan. They think we are crazy to take so much time off at the coldest time of the year.

I hope you remind them our gov actually give us proper Annual Leave!! I guess even the 20 day minimum seems amazingly generous to the average American!