Manual vs Automatic - learning to drive

124»

Comments

• Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I never said they should be banned or given preferential treatment over first time passers. I was making a different point entirely.
    Yes but my point was to the poster who had rudely said that the OP shouldn't be on the road and should give up just because they are struggling at the moment. My point was that slow learners can eventually be excellent drivers and can be better than some that found learning to drive easy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anybody recall Maureen from that reality show Driving School ?
    So 1 person from a reality show 16 years ago proves what point?
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but my point was to the poster who had rudely said that the OP shouldn't be on the road and should give up just because they are struggling at the moment. My point was that slow learners can eventually be excellent drivers and can be better than some that found learning to drive easy.

Yes and thanks for that! :)
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Do you know what? I have never heard of accidents happening because someone can only drive an automatic car. Also slow learners often end up being the best and most sensible drivers on the road. Drivers who are arrogant and over confident on the other hand...Sound familiar?:rolleyes:

No, doesn't sound familiar at all.

Care to provide some kind of evidence that people who cannot press a pedal and move a stick after 21 hours of "driving" make the best drivers?
  • scotty22scotty22 Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been learning to drive for a few months now. Have had about 21 hours worth of lessons and just got up to 3rd gear and just starting to learn selective changing 3rd down to 2nd. My instructor has said I could consider learning to drive in an automatic as it is easier

in other words he thinks u are shit and have no chance of passing. 21 hours and u have got up to 3rd gear. what did u do for 21 hours :sleep: :confused:
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiffy wrote: »
    I sell cars for a living and you would be really surprised how many people on test drive have to look down at the gearshift every time they change gear, despite the layout being exactly the same as the car they are currently driving. Just have to accept that some people are very nervous drivers.
    I drive an auto through choice. I only live 3 miles or so from my place of work but it is along one of the busiest roads in the area during rush hour, and even on that short run my clutch foot would have been up and down 100 times or more in a manual. Who needs it?
    And on a longer run, when you'd be in top gear anyway, it makes no difference whatsoever whether you are in a manual or an automatic.
    Whilst I appreciate that to an experienced, confident driver gear changing comes naturally, it's something we do without even consciously thinking, to a nervous driver it's just something else to have to think about.
    Give them an automatic and let them concentrate more on what's going on around them.
    My sister started having lessons in a manual, couldn't get the hang of it what with hill starts, biting points and what not, so gave up and learnt in an auto. It hasn't held her back at all. Just costs her a little bit more money whenever she changes her car.

Apart from reverse gear being in different places, Eg top Left or bottom right etc. But also while the location of 1-5 is same doesnt mean they all feel the same. Typically the gates of the gears maybe closer together on some meaning a higher risk of getting 5th when u wanted 4th (until u get used to it). And the clutch could vary in how forgiving it is and how High up on the pedal travel it is. Some cars need more revs than others to pull away.

U c you dont have that fun in an automatic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    Don’t all automatics have a mode that lets you manually up-shift if you need to? Mine certainly does.

Most automatics now are faster at changing gear than manuals – they have a dual clutch and two separate sets of gears (one set of odd, the other even) so you can effectively already be in the next gear up/down before you change out of the current one. So i don't recognise this idea of not going down through the gears fast enough to pull away again when you brake either.

I think this idea that you are less in control in an automatic is mostly psychological.

Some cars Still have simple torque converter auto boxes, and some autos have Just the basic option of LO gear in addition to Drive and so on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi miss buzzybee

I learned to drive when I was 32 and had at least 40 lessons.(if not more, I can't remember now)

I drive an automatic and it is so much easier than a manual. I like it because you always have two hands on the wheel when approaching roundabouts so I feel more in control.

Also, you don't have to worry about hill starts, holding the car at uphill junctions etc as the car holds itself.

I would never get a manual, I only drive in town like you would be doing. I really find it so much easier.

Why not have a lesson in an automatic and see how you get on? There are more automatic cars available than there used to be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    No, doesn't sound familiar at all.

Care to provide some kind of evidence that people who cannot press a pedal and move a stick after 21 hours of "driving" make the best drivers?
    And prove that someone who can't drive a manual and/or took a long time to learn are the worst drivers. You can't.
  • Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And prove that someone who can't drive a manual and/or took a long time to learn are the worst drivers. You can't.

Perhaps the instructor is crap? But 21 lessons and such little progress should be of concern, I would deffo change to someone else.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the instructor is crap? But 21 lessons and such little progress should be of concern, I would deffo change to someone else.

That's a good point I had several lessons with one instructor and it became obvious we didn't like each other and I was never going to learn under his instruction - never have done well when anyone shouts at me :o then changed to a lovely man who had the patience of a saint with a nervous driver and while I never enjoyed the lessons I certainly gained the knowledge I needed and grew a bit in confidence.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if you do like an instructor, it doesn't mean they have the best teaching style to teach you individually. Same with the "every single person I know passed with him, so he must be decent" doesn't always work. They could be a very good instructor, but still not gel well with a particular student.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    Just to reply to one comment - when we were between cars we had to hire one and had no problem getting an automatic to hire. Agree with another poster - no problems with hill starts is another bonus. Because I passed in an automatic, my licence limits me to only driving automatics, but as I said earlier, all our cars have always been automatics, if we go abroad and hire a car we hire an automatic and so I see no problem in not being able to drive a manual. Keeping both hands on the wheel, not fiddling with the gear stick, no third pedal - it's great!
  • poboppobop Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the constructive advice. Where I live used to have an off road driving centre for learners but it closed some years ago. I think I will have a one more lesson on manual and then try out a lesson in an automatic. Looked around at auto lessons and most of them cost the same as manual. Also will look into intensive lessons.

Buzzybee... driving can take a while! I think I had FIVE instructors all between 17 - 23.

I was fleeced by two instructors, the first one shouted at me and grabbed the wheel at roundabouts when I was only 17... and the other used to play the radio (illegal), accidently took me on a motorway(illegal) and asked me out (dodgy!!).
    I have found instructors to eek out lessons, to teach pedantic things like: rolling into a turning bay before the line break is a fail, dry steering is a fail (which are not).

It really does matter who you go with... if your concentration is lacking you need an instructor who doesn't speak a lot.

If you live in a built up area of London, chances are you won't get beyond 3/4 gear until you get on to main roads clear of parked cars anyway. Ask your instructor to take you somewhere else and try going to 4th.

My final instructor was also a Towing examiner so didn't rely on the income of learner drivers that some do!! My absolute advice is go for an instructor based on the good word of others.

Most importantly - watch some youtube videos of 'stick shift driving' 'how to gear change' - there are quite a few of an American guy driving a Mini Cooper with close ups of the clutch/pedal/gear movements - really does help you understand it!
  • richardcdonrichardcdon Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i like driving automatics even if i did nearly put my old man through the wind screen with my breaking used the other foot didnt i :eek: didnt just happen once tho :p:p
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I've had a driving licence for 40 years and still drive over 10k a year. Driven all over Europe and beyond - and several times have had to take over in an emergency. . I love automatics and have no idea why there are still manuals on the road - but there are. Perhaps a quick look at Top Gear may explain the fascination with gear sticks? :D

But as most cars are still manuals - and as the cost of driving lessons is extortionate - I would honestly look at the long term and go for manual. Automatic may be a quick and easy way of getting on the road, but long term, there are going to many times when you need to use a gear shift.

Fuel economy, control, and especially driving on snow. I've driven automatics and hate them (especially with cruise control)
  • tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about taking a 1 weeek driving course with the test at the end. make a holiday out of it.
    http://www.2pass.co.uk/residential.htm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fuel economy, control, and especially driving on snow. I've driven automatics and hate them (especially with cruise control)

Evrryone has different expériences,

Some modern autos r very easy on.fuel. you can even buy an.automated version of the little Vw Up which has virtually the same economy as the manual version with the same engine variant, and.its petrol not diesel. There are lots of diesel autos now on.larger models. Honda jazz and new DIGS Micra r other examples of high economy petrol based autos.

My.current polo tdi manual is very good on snow/ice but the astra i had was even better. It had winter mode that locked its auto box into High ratio, so didnt matter how much gas u gave it the power was squashed before going to the wheels.

It had basic cruise control too which was great for keeping to speed limites esp those average speed things on motorways.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member

Pretty much what I always said for 35 years until i bought a new car with a modern VAG DSG box two months ago. Only bought it because of bad problems with my left knee. It's a dream six gears with manual override (or kick down) when I need to boot it or want a bit more control on descents. Economy? 40mpg average 50mpg on a long run with 2.0l turbo diesel. No problem there either.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say you are more in control with an automatic, both hands on wheel more of the time .... you'll get far closer to manufacturers claimed fuel economy than the manual version of same car .... snow is no problem whatsoever .. BUT ice is (especially if rear drive, as with any car) ..
  • Miss PoppyMiss Poppy Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're only going to be driving 'your' car then learning on an auto and having an auto licence can be the way forward - they're a lot simpler to learn on.

Also, as has been pointed out, getting the right instructor is vital and as auto instructors often have more pupils who've struggled a bit, they tend to be more patient (though lots of manual instructors are v patient too, of course!)

There's an extract here from The Girls' Guide to Losing your L Plates about Driving instructors to Avoid, (the letch, the gossip, the timewaster) which might help www.mariamccarthy.co.uk/girls-guide.htm
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member

You made the completely baseless claim that people who take forever and a day to learn to drive make the best drivers.

I ask that you prove it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    You made the completely baseless claim that people who take forever and a day to learn to drive make the best drivers.

I ask that you prove it.
    I said " They can be" not they all are. You are the one that makes baseless claims in that you say people who take a long time to learn to drive and those that can only drive Automatics should stay off the roads because they are the most dangerous.