Options

Why can't they find a decent actor to play Ben?

Comments

• Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was good.
  • Options
    RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really, OP? I couldn't disagree with you any more. I think this Ben is much better than the previous two.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,274
    Forum Member
    Whoever said Ben wasn't wearing his hearing aid, he was, you could see it if you looked closely.

OP, Harry is so much better then the other two actors who played Ben.
  • Options
    dannyl1989dannyl1989 Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was wearing his hearing aid.

Can we give the new actor some credit, it is only his first episode. I think he was okay, seems better than the last one anyway.
  • Options
    BakervichBakervich Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Early days for him but I think he did a good job. His scene with Shirley was well done.
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry but he is the best Ben so far, he's better than the other two put together IMO
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I thought he was ok.
  • Options
    kelly_barnardkelly_barnard Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    Whoever said Ben wasn't wearing his hearing aid, he was, you could see it if you looked closely.

OP, Harry is so much better then the other two actors who played Ben.

I did see it on his left ear
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I thought he was very good and he will only improve when he becomes more comfortable on screen. A vast improvement. They've finally got the casting for Ben right IMO.
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's typically always a bit stiff acting when new actors are introduced, which is probably down to nerves and having to deal with and figure out how a production of that size works - few episodes/weeks in it'll probably be better.

Exactly! This was no gentle introduction for the actor he was in there running and I thought he did bloody marvellous considering.

As has been said, he's better than the last two put together IMO.
    I'm actually beginning to feel sympathy for Phil

I'm not, I hope he gives him hell :cool::D
  • Options
    GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they'd make Ben a bit more awkward and strange and socially inept - he didn't exactly fit in with his family as a child and spent most of his teenage years in prison. I understand the 'prison has changed him' bit but I hope it won't be another excuse for a new head and a whole new personality.

Ben's a bit of a weirdo, hopefully this time theyll portray him as such and not still a wannabe tough man Phil Jr. I'll always think of Charlie Jones as Ben and the slappin daaaahn scene still plays in my head every time Ben tries to be tough!

I think the new actor did well tonight but time will tell!
  • Options
    writer_composerwriter_composer Posts: 1,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    This Ben tops all!

He is good!

Just watched it on iplayer! I think Harry Reid is fantastic and portrays Ben really well, furthering the elements from Charlie, the warmth Ben has like when he hugged Peter and the innocence when he was trying to justify to Shirley outside the toilets As Well As the tougher, younger Phil more hardcore Ben which Joshua overplayed and took us further from the true Ben.

Really excited to see Ben in future now, have a feeling (especially with Mick's hatred and Linda's friendship with Sharon) that Ben and Johnny will get together. Or at least have a short 3 week fling, mark my words! Watch this space...
  • Options
    CriticFanCriticFan Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DreamHaven wrote: »
    first scenes will be rusty then will improve

They don't film scenes in chronological order. It's all mixed up. He could have been filming next week's scenes on his first day.
  • Options
    Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why didn't anyone like Josh Pascoe? I thought he was great!
  • Options
    eastboy1980eastboy1980 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    I see they have quietly dropped Ben wearing a hearing aid.

Both Charlie Jones and Joshua Pascoe wore one when they played Ben

He did have an in ear one in. You could see the clear thin wires.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I saw his hearing aid. I'm really impressed with Harry Reid!
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happened to taking the character in a new direction? He's still the same shit stirring little shit he was when the last actor played him. Incidentally, the last actor did a good job playing a messed up psycho so I don't really understand why he wasn't brought back since Ben hasn't changed as a character one bit. I'm sure there were outside factors but still.

I thought he was terrible in the scenes with Shirley and was okay in the rest of the episode. Better than Charlie Jones but not as good as the last actor (name escapes me at the minute).
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    I quite liked the previous actor in the role :blush:
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I preferred Josh, Ben is supposed to be a total weirdo outcast. Now I feel I'm watching Joey or Tyler in a pair of cartoon glasses. He isn't bad but I hate how they have to 'sex up' all the recasts.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    I preferred Josh, Ben is supposed to be a total weirdo outcast. Now I feel I'm watching Joey or Tyler in a pair of cartoon glasses. He isn't bad but I hate how they have to 'sex up' all the recasts.

IF and I stress IF this new Ben flops then I dont know what the answer is but a furthur recast would be mad and stupid.
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IF and I stress IF this new Ben flops then I dont know what the answer is but a furthur recast would be mad and stupid.

Indeed. They should just call quits on the character next time he leaves. It's not as if Ben's ever going to be a well-liked, legend type character. Hopefully this new actor will be able to do some damage control though.
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    I see they have quietly dropped Ben wearing a hearing aid.

Both Charlie Jones and Joshua Pascoe wore one when they played Ben
    I saw he was wearing one. :confused:
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may already have been mentioned, but one of his first scenes you would think he would have got his lines right. In the toilet, he said shirley when he should have said sharon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may already have been mentioned, but one of his first scenes you would think he would have got his lines right. In the toilet, he said shirley when he should have said sharon.
    Huh when was this? what was the line? I only remember him mentioning Sharon when he told Shirley that he was back to persuade Phil he should be with her and the dialogue was right then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised people keep saying this as he doesn't look like your typical soap hunk to me.

And I thought he did quite well with the acting. These may not have been his very first scenes but they would've been some of them.