Hiiiyaaa Luv - y'alriiiight??

VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
Forum Member
Vicky teaching Courtney how to speak northern....her version was hilarious

Comments

• Janet_HadfieldJanet_Hadfield Posts: 1,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived in the North for fourteen years. in Newcastle they say either pet or hen not love, love is a southern term.
  • ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    Over here in Lancashire, (and specifically Accrington were Vicky is from) we rarely say 'pet', and never 'hen'. It's always 'luv', 'duck', 'cock' or even 'cocker' :)
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    I lived in the North for fourteen years. in Newcastle they say either pet or hen not love, love is a southern term.

Love is definitely a northern expression.
  • white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like 'flower', too.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ads84 wrote: »
    Over here in Lancashire, (and specifically Accrington were Vicky is from) we rarely say 'pet', and never 'hen'. It's always 'luv', 'duck', 'cock' or even 'cocker' :)

Hen is a Glasgow expression
  • Daemon666Daemon666 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I lived in Hartleool, which is 30 miles south of Newcastle, for 41 years and you're not right. People say 'love' all the time when addressing women in the North including Newcastle. It's not 'just' a Southern term.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People in Newcastle don't say 'hen', they do say 'pet' and they also say 'love'. Hen is a Scottish term.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guku wrote: »
    People in Newcastle don't say 'hen', they do say 'pet' and they also say 'love'. Hen is a Scottish term.

Yep, I've never in my life heard a female in this region referred to as 'hen' before. Pet and luv, yes, but not hen though.
  • BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member

It can be a northern, midland and even cockney term of endearment.
  • giz a tabgiz a tab Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As a Geordie male I have been known to say, pet, flower, love, sweetheart, and even the occasional hinny.

However some of the pc brigade regard this as condescending.
  • CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No it isn't I'm from Yorkshire and the say it here a lot
  • HIGHERSTATEHIGHERSTATE Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love is the Sheffield version of Pet etc..

I've even heard busdrivers say it to other men.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My Dad was a Yorkshireman and always said 'love'
  • Laters BabyLaters Baby Posts: 488
    Forum Member

born and bred in the north and i think love might be a northern term too. :) or if you're of a certain age like my old nana was it was queen or cock! :eek::p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member

I'm from the midlands and I have heard people using all those terms here too. Although I always feel weird when my nan says cock :o People in my area also say bab a lot and I have been hearing chick a lot lately too :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yep, I've never in my life heard a female in this region referred to as 'hen' before. Pet and luv, yes, but not hen though.

I'm Scottish and my grandmother used to call me 'hen' when I was a toddler. It's (or used to be ) a Scottish term of endearment for little girls.
  • BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    fed_up wrote: »
    I'm from the midlands and I have heard people using all those terms here too. Although I always feel weird when my nan says cock :o People in my area also say bab a lot and I have been hearing chick a lot lately too :)

Have you heard the endearment 'duck'?! I think that's another midland and northern term.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Birdcage wrote: »
    Have you heard the endearment 'duck'?! I think that's another midland and northern term.

My nan uses duck a lot especially when she is talking to her daughters. My mom uses it when she talks to me but not as often as she uses bab. :)
  • fjiffjif Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In Liverpool we say love.

We never use any of those terms, just 'love'. What a boring lot we are. :D
  • kate03kate03 Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm Scottish and my grandmother used to call me 'hen' when I was a toddler. It's (or used to be ) a Scottish term of endearment for little girls.

Yep definitely a Scottish term.:)

BTW I love all the northern and southern terms of endearment. Some others I've heard from various places are chuck, chicken, sweetheart, darling, dear, chickie, luvvie....to name but a few. They're great :D
  • HIGHERSTATEHIGHERSTATE Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite is the southwest term 'My lover'

ooo er.
  • kate03kate03 Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite is the southwest term 'My lover'

ooo er.

Never heard that one before. That would cause a few problems up north :eek::D
  • TalullahmayTalullahmay Posts: 5,962
    Forum Member
    Love is used daily where I live in the north & always has been..Duck does get used also but more so from the Stoke on Trent friends I have!
    Cock & Cocker are still used not as often as 30 years ago..Queen or Queenie is still used when refering to a young female child!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Well I live in Accrington and we say 'love' all the time. Also 'duck' 'cock' and 'chick'. Not really heard 'pet' a lot, though I'm sure some people round here do say it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love is the Sheffield version of Pet etc..
    I've even heard busdrivers say it to other men.
    This.
    I posted this before, but the first person in Sheffield I ever spoke to was a burly bus driver tattoed like Axl Rose. His first words were 'Alright ducks'.
    I thought he was taking the p because I was from Brighton, but of course he wouldn't have known.
    The second person was an equally tattoed bouncer masquerading as a desk clerk in the hotel. He called me 'Luv'
    :eek::D:D