Options

Never Learning To Drive.....Why ?

CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any reasons ?

I have two sisters, both married with access to cars, but never learned to drive, I think I've just figured out why.

1. They quite like getting chauffeured about. everywhere.

2. It totally absolves them from doing loads of onerous domestic tasks because they feign helplessness by having no access to transport.

" oh what a pity I can't look after Mum and Dad a bit more, I'd visit a lot more often but the buses are so infrequent round here and I can't drive can I ? " :(

" Instead of us visiting you this Xmas, you can come to us, because when Jim has too much to drink I can't drive back home can I ? " :(

" Jim's at work, can you run me to the hospital for my appointment, because, as you know, I can't drive can I ? " :(

For God's sake, learn to drive eh ?

Comments

• Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your sisters have husbands and you to ferry them around and those husbands and you do just exactly that, why would they bother learning?
    It's like you say, they like being ferried about. And as long as you carry on obliging them, it's a bit silly for you to complain about it.

Don't you do it for them if you don't want. Then it's between them and their husbands and you've got no cause for complaint.

True, they might think you're being a meanie, but that's no worse than you thinking they're idle.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It irritates the hell out of me. I finally passed my test in 2002 after years of trying because I knew local job I was in was looking precarious and I'd be better off having a car when looking for work. I was right. A year later the place paid me off and I got a start right away in a firm 16 miles away that I'd never be able to have got to in a bus or train. Now I'm in a job where a drive a works van quite a lot. Adults without driving licences are stopping themselves achieving so much. I know a guy at 49 who hasn't worked in years, is nearly destitute, his girlfriend is losing patience, and he's desperate for work. He refuses to even contemplate trying to learn to drive because he doesn't fancy it and 'it's not for him'. Well, to me, he's not helping himself. A hell of a lot of employers won't touch you if you don't drive.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people can't afford it.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    If your sisters actually exist, i'd love to be a fly on the wall when they see this post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Equally there's an argument against every single person on the planet learning to drive. There's not enough space on the roads, some people just aren't cut out to drive (and some do it anyway) causing more accidents on the roads. Pollution is a factor we need to think about. If everyone did drive, where would that leave us environmentally?

I do drive, but I won't pretend it was an easy process, and the cost was crippling at the time. I can wholeheartedly see why it just isn't for some people.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    A lot of people who live in big cities with good public transport like London never bother learning to drive. They don't need to - car owning and parking can be a hassle or impossible even and trains or the tube can get you there quicker. If you live in rural areas clearly it is needed.

So depends on your location and travel to work patterns.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    It irritates the hell out of me. I finally passed my test in 2002 after years of trying because I knew local job I was in was looking precarious and I'd be better off having a car when looking for work. I was right. A year later the place paid me off and I got a start right away in a firm 16 miles away that I'd never be able to have got to in a bus or train. Now I'm in a job where a drive a works van quite a lot. Adults without driving licences are stopping themselves achieving so much. I know a guy at 49 who hasn't worked in years, is nearly destitute, his girlfriend is losing patience, and he's desperate for work. He refuses to even contemplate trying to learn to drive because he doesn't fancy it and 'it's not for him'. Well, to me, he's not helping himself. A hell of a lot of employers won't touch you if you don't drive.

To be fair on the guy, it's probably too expensive for him.
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    A lot of people who live in big cities with good public transport like London never bother learning to drive. They don't need to - car owning and parking can be a hassle or impossible even and trains or the tube can get you there quicker. If you live in rural areas clearly it is needed.

So depends on your location and travel to work patterns.

I know people who work in Manchester who would rather catch the train to work than drive their cars and so can imagine it's much worse in London.
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should I? I can't think of anywhere I'd need to drive to.

I don't believe everyone is suited to driving, there are enough cars on the road as it is and I personally believe I'd be a terrible driver. If someone doesn't want to drive then it's up to them, it's very expensive and requires a lot of responsibility, I can't be bothered with any of that because I have the town on my doorstep so I pretty much walk everywhere I need to be.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

And for loads more it won't make a scrap of difference! Are you only irritated by this one guy, or by people who choose not to drive generally? I've never had a driving licence and it hasn't stopped me from achieving anything. In fact the world would probably be a better place if fewer people were dependent on their cars.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Yeah my cousin didn't drive.... until his parents / friends / me said we weren't providing transport anymore.

He learnt, applied for and passed his test nine weeks later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't be arsed.
    Most people didn't learn to drive when I was a kid.
    Then I lived in cities for years.
    Then when I worked all over the country I was arriving at the next office refreshed after a nice comfy train journey and all my work done, while my workmates were knackered from driving (Aberdeen to Cardiff once - she arrived at 2am).
    I've owned three cars (an Alfa Romeo, a race built Mini Cooper with a plastic tie-on bonnet 'cos of the engine size, and a Morris estate with a flooor starter) and have never ever driven :blush:
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Where I grew up learning to drive was a rite of passage really.

I remember we had a calendar in the sixth form common room in which we'd all inked in our 17th birthdays. Most of us passed as soon as possible after that long-awaited date.
    It was a bit gloomy for the ones who had theirs in August!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    And for loads more it won't make a scrap of difference! Are you only irritated by this one guy, or by people who choose not to drive generally? I've never had a driving licence and it hasn't stopped me from achieving anything. In fact the world would probably be a better place if fewer people were dependent on their cars.

They'd be less people to give you a lift here, there and anywhere, though....:D
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Personally I can't afford to learn to drive. If I could drive I couldn't afford to buy a car and if I had a car I couldn't afford to run it. So I'll stick with the buses.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    They'd be less people to give you a lift here, there and anywhere, though....:D

I wouldn't need them, as there would be better public transport!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    For many, i think its about money. I drive - but it is costly and can see why people would not drive if not needed to regularly.
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people can't afford it.

Or smart enough to learn
    Or to frightened to learn
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 30 years old and I have had lessons and been told I could pass the test after about 5 of them because i'm a natural driver, but I could never be bothered. Not everyone leaves it because they like being driven around, some just can't be arsed.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I dont have the confidence to learn now, when I was young I would have loved to, but I didnt have the funds for a car or the lessons.

I would have loved to have learned, but I dont have it in me :(
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never have learned if we hadnt moved out of London. There was no need to learn where I lived before, I couldnt have used my car for work due to not being able to park. However, I dont recognise the problem of not being able to do tasks or chores. I travelled all over the country on public transport, carried christmas trees and various pets on buses and trains, shopping, diy equipment, leisure activities, all sorts of things. I never used cabs and didnt know many others who drove either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or smart enough to learn
    Or too frightened to learn

Exactly.
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or smart enough to learn
    Or to frightened to learn

Since when do you need to be 'smart' to learn to drive a car?
    If every car user was 'smart' do you think we'd have as many accidents on the roads?
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2/10 Must troll harder.

Edit: there seem to be multiple targets now!
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus I dont recognise the learning at 17 thing either, there was no money to pay for lessons, test and a car/insurance at that age.
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Equally there's an argument against every single person on the planet learning to drive. There's not enough space on the roads, some people just aren't cut out to drive (and some do it anyway) causing more accidents on the roads. Pollution is a factor we need to think about. If everyone did drive, where would that leave us environmentally?

I do drive, but I won't pretend it was an easy process, and the cost was crippling at the time. I can wholeheartedly see why it just isn't for some people.

I agree with this post.

We live in Greater London and the transport links are fantastic. We can get anywhere, quicker and more cheaply, via train, tube (or at a push, coach). I passed my test a few years ago but have never needed to get a car though I'm qualified to drive if I need to. I also find train journeys much more pleasant than doing the same journey via car (say, if a driver friend wants to go somewhere)

For the record - I never ask for lifts and am quite prickly about it. Just because I don't have a car doesn't mean I should treat others as taxi-drivers. Overall, it is far, far cheaper for me to use public transport and the odd taxi than to own and run a car. I'm also a lot fitter - I'm constantly amazed at how many people won't walk to the local shops but drive everywhere instead.

I could never be the sort of person who relies on a partner / other people for lifts so if I lived in a more rural area, yes I would have a car / learn to drive (if I didn't already).