Options

unpopular stories you love

2»

Comments

• Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    LightMeUp wrote: »
    Did people hate Robot of Sherwood? I thought that episode was great.
    I thought it was a bit of harmless fun - a case of 'could have been so much better but not actually bad', which was how I felt about a few episodes of Series 8. Some people seem more offended by it though - the ridiculous golden arrow resolution seems to be the most cited reason for disliking this story, or the thing that ultimately pushed people a bit too far.
    LightMeUp wrote: »
    I have to admit as time has gone on I've found a new respect for Love and Monsters. Doesn't deserve anywhere near the crap it actually recieves. I mean yes, Peter Kay is obscenely shit in almost everything he undertakes, but he no longer ruins it for me.

Plus, how can anyone not adore a story in which man-on-patio slab sex is alluded to? Amazing.
    Love & Monsters, for me is an episode that is better in theory than in practice. The ideas behind it are superb, and a truly inventive way of both filling a gap in the series, and also reminding the viewer of some of the biggest events of the previous two series.

The patio-slab sex joke was throwaway enough not to bother me. In fact the only real fault I have with the episode is the awfulness of the Absorbaloff. If there had been a decent alien threat in this story I feel it could have been one of RTD's greatest. Peter Kay isn't even necessarily the problem, but I can understand why having to dress in what was essentially a Slitheen-in-a-thong and run around the London/Cardiff Badlands would be considered the "low point" of his career.

It's Camille Coduri who saves the day though. Her scenes from start to finish are heartfelt, the clash with Elton outside the flat being one of the best scenes the character ever got, the kind of scene we don't get any more for a supporting character.
    brouhaha wrote:
    As for post-2005 Doctor Who, well I know it's an extremely unpopular view, but I really don't get the hate for Fear Her at all. I'm not saying I love it exactly but there have been far, far worse stories.
    I liked the idea behind this episode, but everything that actually transferred onto the screen just utterly failed for me.

If you could turn the colour grey into an episode of Doctor Who, it'd be Fear Her. Ultimately lacking anything interesting, looking totally bored with what it was doing, some dodgy acting from the child actor, the horrendous Olympic Torch ending, and having a sub-par script. I'd hoped that it was just misfortune on Matthew Graham's part, but his Series 6 contribution, The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People, despite being a lot more innovative is still something of a chore to watch for some reason and also looks really, really bland.

I do think it had its work cut out as an episode though - it was essentially a replacement for a script that Stephen Fry was going to deliver and never did, and so it was never anyone's first choice. Plus it was wedged right in the middle of Doctor Who's 2006-2007 obsession with the London suburbs - it was the second of six consecutive episodes of the show set in the contemporary city and the weakest of the lot by far. Love & Monsters before it drew plenty of controversy but even that makes it more interesting, and as a premise it was at least fun in places and willing to try something new. Fear Her was ultimately Who-by-Numbers, but without either time travel or space travel. And for people already aggravated by The Doctor and Rose by this point, sticking them in the suburbs must have been an absolute nightmare :D
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at it from a number of perspectives, it really isn't...

Is it popular compared to other stories at the same sort of time?
    It was preceded by The Doctor's Daughter and followed by Silence in the Library. The latter holds an indisputable status as easily the strongest of those three (regardless of any personal opinions).

Oddly enough - and I know it's an unpopular view - I don't much care for Silence In The Library at all. I know why. It's because it introduced River Song, whom I loathe.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brouhaha wrote: »
    Me neither. It's a rollicking good story. The regulars seem to be having a ball ("I'm sorry about your coccyx too, Miss Grant!") and it's an absolute joy to watch.

I love The Creature From The Pit for similar reasons ("Point the dog against the wall!"). It's fun and, to be honest, I don't think it's at all deserved the reputation it's got over the years. The jungle set is lovely, the acting's great and the story isn't at all bad. OK, OK, I know the main reason for its poor reputation is the creature itself - and it must be admitted that, erm, it's not exactly one of Doctor Who's greatest successes - but for me it doesn't spoil an otherwise good story.

As for post-2005 Doctor Who, well I know it's an extremely unpopular view, but I really don't get the hate for Fear Her at all. I'm not saying I love it exactly but there have been far, far worse stories.

Nice to see some Time Monster love on here. I agree with you on The Creature From The Pit and Fear Her, too.
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no, this thread has just reminded me that the Fear Her Olympic Torch sequence actually happened...why Russell why.

Surprised that Kill the Moon isn't mentioned, as I remember some people did like it, but, well I don't know is that episode considered popular or unpopular. I would of said unpopular but I'm aware my own bad opinion on the episode is making me think that.

Its nice to see people stick up for stories even ones I disagree with, it just goes to show how things can work differently for people.
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Love and Monster was really good until the Absorbaloff was revealed then it very quickly drove of a cliff, descended the deep ocean and tunnelled through the Earths crust to reach the pits of hell.... I didn't like the last quarter/third :p. The stuff with the group before that was well done though, it just needed a villain that wasn't so silly in a bad way.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    Oddly enough - and I know it's an unpopular view - I don't much care for Silence In The Library at all. I know why. It's because it introduced River Song, whom I loathe.

I like River Song myself, and quite enjoy the Library two-parter, but it never really sticks out for me as a highlight of Series 4. Such a strong series as it was, but I think this story was missing something...I'm not sure what exactly, mind you.
    PaperSkin wrote:
    I thought Love and Monster was really good until the Absorbaloff was revealed then it very quickly drove of a cliff, descended the deep ocean and tunnelled through the Earths crust to reach the pits of hell.... I didn't like the last quarter/third . The stuff with the group before that was well done though, it just needed a villain that wasn't so silly in a bad way.
    That's pretty much how I feel about it, and I think an opinion shared by many others. The Absorbaloff was a complete misfire. I'll be impressed to find anyone, including those who like the episode, who can also admit to liking the Absorbaloff. At best I hear that in concept it was a decent idea (a child's idea at that, thank you Blue Peter), or that Peter Kay did the best with what he had - both quite possibly true, but still no one that can actually say they like the final product of it all.
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a soft spot for Remembrance of the Daleks / The Happiness Patrol / Silver Nemesis. Awful era of the show, but I thought this series was mostly really good, with only Greatest Show falling short.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, so many of them!

Love & Monsters for sure though, and Boom Town. Love those two.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brouhaha wrote: »

I love The Creature From The Pit for similar reasons ("Point the dog against the wall!"). It's fun and, to be honest, I don't think it's at all deserved the reputation it's got over the years. The jungle set is lovely, the acting's great and the story isn't at all bad. OK, OK, I know the main reason for its poor reputation is the creature itself - and it must be admitted that, erm, it's not exactly one of Doctor Who's greatest successes - but for me it doesn't spoil an otherwise good story.
    Totally agree with your post and I wanted to add that also in this story, The Doctor goes a lot further than he usually does in making the villain face the responsibility of their actions. I love that line to Adrasta. 'care for your people for once.' and he's very physical in his approach when she tries to avoid taking Erato's communicator. It really is the ultimate example of being 'hoist by your own petard' and her own voice condemning her was a nice touch as well.

That's really what makes the story for me but it's lost in the overly humorous nature of Season 17. It isn't as strong as City Of Death but out of the rest of the Season it definitely is deserving of second place.

:)