Don't know who to go for

Lucozade76Lucozade76 Posts: 131
Forum Member
We just got keys to a new property. Last one we bought ourselves out of our Plusnet contract. Will never go back to them.
My mum has BT under my name and I keep getting lured towards their great deals and then alarm bells ring and it's hard to come by good reviews.
We can't get Virgin.
I have an EE mobile contract and won't touch the company with a bargepoll.

So... anyone recommend a good all round broadband/landline contract for unlimited usage? Even if you think one of the above would be okay after all... just not Virgin as they won't come to our postcode in the Scottish Borders.
We don't want Sky TV though I know they do broadband and phone without TV.

Currently investigating POPtelecom.

Comments

• howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like Tesco phone/BB but as they were taken over by TalkTalk I jumped ship and - much as I didn't want to, joined Sky phone/BB, but only as there were no broadband fees, just the phone line rental + £5/m anytime so I reckon I'm costing them money!

One good alternative seems to be Co-operative phone/Broadband, I was on the verge of joining them but the t/c's suggested there was a monthly cap on broadband. However - and too late for me - I found that information was erronious, BB is indeed unlimited, so when my contract with Sky is up I will probably move to Co-op.

However the Sky service has been pretty good, good powerful router. But might still move next year.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT own plusnet however i've never had any issues with plusnet.
    You might want to look into someone like post office or co-op if you don't want plusnet or talktalk.
  • Lucozade76Lucozade76 Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I ended-up with BT in the end.

I find Plusnet to be very patchy and the customer services have gone down hill since moving to Leeds.

BT do a good Sim Only mobile contract for BB users so I might add that for family.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it even if I did go BT of all people. :blush:
  • bampsambampsam Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucozade76 wrote: »
    I ended-up with BT in the end.

I find Plusnet to be very patchy and the customer services have gone down hill since moving to Leeds.

BT do a good Sim Only mobile contract for BB users so I might add that for family.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it even if I did go BT of all people. :blush:

Well,hoping you have more luck with BT,as they do own Plusnet.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have BT Infinity 2, into my 3rd year now...it's not the cheapest, but it has been very reliable and I have had no problems with BT whatsoever.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bampsam wrote: »
    Well,hoping you have more luck with BT,as they do own Plusnet.

But Plusnet is run as a stand alone provider, I have no doubt that Bt do have some say in what they do, but their customer service is certainly better than BT, at least it is UK based.

Plusnet is not bad to be hoenst, I am not fond of BT to be honest, and I did have a think before going to plusnet as they are owned by BT.
    So far so good, I must admit I would never go with BT istelf.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It comes down to the fact that all ISP companies have unhappy customers and all have very happy customers. It's the flip of a coin how your experience will turn out.

However I imagine a high proportion of problems are not the ISP or the service but the end user connectivity, such as poor line, socket, extension, modem, wifi channel, computer, user.

This sort of networking used to be done by trained IT people and now we've get aunt Ethel and Tom the retired gardener installing and setting up their own high speed network.... It's amazing there aren't more complaints really!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Good choice BT has been great for me.. You probably don't see many good reviews as most don't put them up unless they are having issues
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graeme89 wrote: »
    Good choice BT has been great for me.. You probably don't see many good reviews as most don't put them up unless they are having issues

How do you get on with the HH5? My next door neighbour had one and I set it up, after getting rid of the smart rubbish on it, and found very little would connect wi-fi wise to it. I tried lots of things, but no go, so they gone back to HH3.
    The other problem with BT is their filters, something that we have not got with Plusnet, can even use torrent sites at the moment.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,603
    Forum Member
    Lucozade76 wrote: »
    We just got keys to a new property. Last one we bought ourselves out of our Plusnet contract. Will never go back to them.
    My mum has BT under my name and I keep getting lured towards their great deals and then alarm bells ring and it's hard to come by good reviews.
    We can't get Virgin.
    I have an EE mobile contract and won't touch the company with a bargepoll.

So... anyone recommend a good all round broadband/landline contract for unlimited usage? Even if you think one of the above would be okay after all... just not Virgin as they won't come to our postcode in the Scottish Borders.
    We don't want Sky TV though I know they do broadband and phone without TV.

Currently investigating POPtelecom.

I get regular updates from thinkbroadband.com and their latest one has this offer which I am finding tempting - would appreciate other's views.

This week's featured broadband offer

Sky Unlimited Broadband - 12 months FREE + £100 M&S voucher
    - Unlimited up to 17meg broadband - 12 months FREE
    - Inclusive weekend calls to UK landlines
    - Reverts to £7.50 per month, 12 month contract
    - Offer only availble for customers not taking Sky TV
    - Line rental required at £16.40 per month
    - Offer expires 11th June 2015

full details: http://bit.ly/1JC8D8I
  • syko29793syko29793 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    daisydee wrote: »
    I get regular updates from thinkbroadband.com and their latest one has this offer which I am finding tempting - would appreciate other's views.

This week's featured broadband offer

Sky Unlimited Broadband - 12 months FREE + £100 M&S voucher
    - Unlimited up to 17meg broadband - 12 months FREE
    - Inclusive weekend calls to UK landlines
    - Reverts to £7.50 per month, 12 month contract
    - Offer only availble for customers not taking Sky TV
    - Line rental required at £16.40 per month
    - Offer expires 11th June 2015

full details: http://bit.ly/1JC8D8I

Same offer but by going through topcashback will get you £84.00 on top

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/sky-digital/
  • gothergother Posts: 14,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    syko29793 wrote: »
    Same offer but by going through topcashback will get you £84.00 on top

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/sky-digital/

Don't use topcashback they are going under slowly and cashback isn't tracking or it is getting declined, go for quidco or some other cashback site instead, always remember though cashback is never guaranteed and you should never go for a deal based on cashback alone.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,603
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »
    Don't use topcashback they are going under slowly and cashback isn't tracking or it is getting declined, go for quidco or some other cashback site instead, always remember though cashback is never guaranteed and you should never go for a deal based on cashback alone.

I'm sorry to hear that, I use them all the time. I've just got £128 back from them. I just wondered what others thought to the deal and the Providers. I've been with the same Provider for 12 years, so it's a big decision to make a change. I also pay my BT rental a year in advance and not sure how much is remaining.
    I have often thought of going with BT but despite all their wonderful offers, it still costs about £50 to set the whole thing up, at least my current Providers have never charged for the broadband box, and I've had a couple of them.