Merlin Series 5 - discussion, speculation and spoilers (in tags!) (Part 2)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    I read the story circulating around the Internet that Bradley James "un-followed" Alexander Vlahos on Twitter. Since it allegedly occurred after Vlahos had spoken about the finale as being a "love affair between Merlin and Arthur....a platonic one". I was wondering if anyone else read that.

I have no idea if any of this is truthful. However, Vlahos has been one of the most candid and honest about what to expect in the Merlin finale. I can't really say the same for Bradley James. So, I personally appreciate what Vlahos has had to say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    ivyteainn wrote: »
    I read the story circulating around the Internet that Bradley James "un-followed" Alexander Vlahos on Twitter. Since it allegedly occurred after Vlahos had spoken about the finale as being a "love affair between Merlin and Arthur....a platonic one". I was wondering if anyone else read that.

I have no idea if any of this is truthful. However, Vlahos has been one of the most candid and honest about what to expect in the Merlin finale. I can't really say the same for Bradley James. So, I personally appreciate what Vlahos has had to say.

Considering he pointed out it was platonic and more than once it's been said that Arthur and Merlin love each other and are best friends I really doubt it. Bradley can come off at times a bit arrogant, but he's never really struck me as petty and immature.
  • MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sergeik wrote: »
    If Arthur dies, I really don't want him to go to Avalon. He doesn't deserve it, the Arthur of legend does but not this one. Plus isn't it going to be full of people that he and his father murdered?
    But if Arthur doesn’t go to Avalon, he cannot become the future king! With him there, there’s the chance that he will return to lead his people once more and restore a Golden Age. Though, I’m not sure what was golden about it…
    Retrospectively, I now wish that they had ended with Arthur drawing Excalibur from the stone. There wasn't a need to tell any more about the legend.
    I disagree with you here. Yes, there was a need to tell more of the legend: how Arthur united the kingdoms and with Merlin’s help welcomed magic back into the kingdom to heal the rift between the Old and New Religions and people because they were fundamentally still one and the same sharing a common heritage; how and how this kingdom was conceived, born, lived, and died only to be reborn because ultimately this kingdom would meld two disparate cultures into one people with a common purpose eventually creating an empire whose sun would never set; and, as long as the story of Camelot, Arthur, Merlin, and Morgana are told and re-told evincing the idealism and nobility of a bygone age that is still in reach and inspiring generations upon generations to regain the glory of Camelot then the legend should be told.

My problem: S5 doesn’t do that for me. :( That’s why this is so true:
    The 5th season has been very disappointing. I'm glad that it's at an end. The series has lost its charm this season. I hope that any sequel will recapture it.
    And, that’s because there’s a lot more to tell but that’s all been glossed over before they get to where they are in this series. It’s all a matter of pacing and it seems like some sort of bad dream instead of a proper story.

I don’t have a twitter account. Here’s his twitter site:

https://twitter.com/bradleyjames

If you’ve got an account you can see whom he’s following. But, I can’t see him unfollowing someone for a comment like that especially since it sounded like “plutonic” and I kept thinking of Merlin hanging around Arthur like Pluto did Mickey… of course it could also mean “plutonic” as in Plutus, god of wealth, so they were buddies because of the money… Either way, I got a chuckled out of it. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    I missed some of those humorous episodes that Merlin once had. It gave it a charm that set it apart from what you would expect out of Game of Thrones or the Tudors. The move to the dark side for this particular program just never sat well with me.

When I said earlier that the series could have ended for me at end of season 4 with the "Sword in the Stone", I met that in terms of Season 5. Yes, I always wanted a Season 5, but knowing what I know about it now; I would have been just as happy with Merlin ending last year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    I missed some of those humorous episodes that Merlin once had. It gave it a charm that set it apart from what you would expect out of Game of Thrones or the Tudors. The move to the dark side for this particular program just never sat well with me.

When I said earlier that the series could have ended for me at end of season 4 with the "Sword in the Stone", I met that in terms of Season 5. Yes, I always wanted a Season 5, but knowing what I know about it now; I would have been just as happy with Merlin ending last year.

I liked the humour in merlin sometimes it was a bit too silly at times the troll queen was a bit over the top but otherwise I love light and fluffy, the dark stuff has been good tv too but I just really really hate the end :mad:
    Forum Member
    MikeAP001 wrote: »
    But if Arthur doesn’t go to Avalon, he cannot become the future king! With him there, there’s the chance that he will return to lead his people once more and restore a Golden Age. Though, I’m not sure what was golden about it…

I disagree with you here. Yes, there was a need to tell more of the legend: how Arthur united the kingdoms and with Merlin’s help welcomed magic back into the kingdom to heal the rift between the Old and New Religions and people because they were fundamentally still one and the same sharing a common heritage; how and how this kingdom was conceived, born, lived, and died only to be reborn because ultimately this kingdom would meld two disparate cultures into one people with a common purpose eventually creating an empire whose sun would never set; and, as long as the story of Camelot, Arthur, Merlin, and Morgana are told and re-told evincing the idealism and nobility of a bygone age that is still in reach and inspiring generations upon generations to regain the glory of Camelot then the legend should be told.

My problem: S5 doesn’t do that for me. :( That’s why this is so true:

And, that’s because there’s a lot more to tell but that’s all been glossed over before they get to where they are in this series. It’s all a matter of pacing and it seems like some sort of bad dream instead of a proper story.

I don’t have a twitter account. Here’s his twitter site:

https://twitter.com/bradleyjames

If you’ve got an account you can see whom he’s following. But, I can’t see him unfollowing someone for a comment like that especially since it sounded like “plutonic” and I kept thinking of Merlin hanging around Arthur like Pluto did Mickey… of course it could also mean “plutonic” as in Plutus, god of wealth, so they were buddies because of the money… Either way, I got a chuckled out of it. :D
    Apparently reading other people's tweets they were waiting to see if he would unfollow Alex after what he said because he unfollows people all the time for mentioning merthur to him,
    When he did it sort of confirmed he hates the bromance being referred to as a romance, but then he could have been reading their tweets and just wanted to wind them all up, or it could have been unrelated or accidental
    Maybe it's because in another interview Alex said he loved Eoin best :)
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tbh I think any fans who are discussing this have got a little bit too invested in the personal lives of the actors! What do they do? Check who Bradley's following every day to see who he's friends with? :rolleyes:

Perhaps the simple truth is Alex worked with them for about 8 months, he wasn't in loads of it, had perhaps a half dozen scenes with Bradley...Perhaps they're just simply not that close! Doesn't mean anyone hates anyone or there's been grumpy falling out.
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Tbh I think any fans who are discussing this have got a little bit too invested in the personal lives of the actors! What do they do? Check who Bradley's following every day to see who he's friends with? :rolleyes:

Perhaps the simple truth is Alex worked with them for about 8 months, he wasn't in loads of it, had perhaps a half dozen scenes with Bradley...Perhaps they're just simply not that close! Doesn't mean anyone hates anyone or there's been grumpy falling out.

I think they were checking because they were expecting him to after the interview, I think Bradley likes to mess with his fans heads a bit
  • star89star89 Posts: 23,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad that I've been told in advance what to expect or I might have gone ballistic and foamed at the mouth on Saturday. Now, I just accept it for what it is. It doesn't make me any happier, but less explosive. :mad:

I just feel bad for all those who don't know, especially those who have kids that are excited to watch Merlin :(
    Forum Member
    star89 wrote: »
    I just feel bad for all those who don't know, especially those who have kids that are excited to watch Merlin :(

Yeah it's really sad I would have expected a completely different outcome I argued with Cadiva for weeks saying they would never do that on a family show
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moleymo wrote: »
    Yeah it's really sad I would have expected a completely different outcome I argued with Cadiva for weeks saying they would never do that on a family show

If the ending is sad, why? As you say, it's a family show, not a little kid's show. It has no obligation to mollycoddle and wrap the viewers in cotton wool.

I must be one of the very few who is very excited for the ending, moreso because it sounds like it's not taking the easy, "and they all lived happily" way out.
    Forum Member
    If the ending is sad, why? As you say, it's a family show, not a little kid's show. It has no obligation to mollycoddle and wrap the viewers in cotton wool.

I must be one of the very few who is very excited for the ending, moreso because it sounds like it's not taking the easy, "and they all lived happily" way out.

My over all disappointment is that merlin is a huge failure and that Arthur isn't legendary he's done nothing to deserve being remembered, every week we were promised this golden age
    I would have no problem with the show ending with Arthur's death if it was years in the future but they are all still young
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have more problem with the fact that the ending is dissatisfying from an overall story pov (i.e. Merlin and Arthur aren't actually destined to achieve anything at all despite Kilgharrah's constant assurances) than the fact it ends sadly.
  • NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not so much about wanting to be mollycoddled (although I will admit to preferring happier endings) but, like moleymo and Claire said, about the fact that they are having Merlin and Arthur utterly fail. And not only fail but fail at something they've been telling us from the start they would succeed in. :mad: :confused:
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I did think that Alex chose his words unwisely, especially considering the dedication of the Merthur fan-girls. I do however completely agree with Alex that Merlin and Arthur have a platonic love, like many friends do (although it's more common amongst girls imo). I would hope that Bradley wouldn't be so childish as to respond in that way without completely understanding what Alex was getting at.

I do admire the bravery of the writers in not taking the easy way out. Many authors do settle for the Happily Ever After ending because most people (including me :o) like a neat and satisfying conclusion. For this reason I expect I will have issues with the ending (I didn't like the ending of LOTR because Frodo goes off and leaves everyone :( which doesn't quite fulfill the Happily Ever After criteria!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    So it turns out that Merlin has an American celebrity fan:

https://twitter.com/mariedigby

Who just happens to be one of my favourite musicians :D And actually a few weeks ago she released this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Ym0q8UHS0

... which is how Morgana could have turned out if she hadn't turned evil... and is how I suggest Merlin occupies himself
    for the thousands of years he's gonna spend waiting for Arthur after he screws everything up ;)
    Forum Member
    Lowri wrote: »
    I did think that Alex chose his words unwisely, especially considering the dedication of the Merthur fan-girls. I do however completely agree with Alex that Merlin and Arthur have a platonic love, like many friends do (although it's more common amongst girls imo). I would hope that Bradley wouldn't be so childish as to respond in that way without completely understanding what Alex was getting at.

It is a love story though, it's obviously written with the relationship between Arthur and merlin, their friendship and love for each other being the core story from the first episode
    Alex said nothing wrong.

Julian even said during one of his interviews that merlin loves Arthur the bromance is the heart of the show
    Forum Member
    Lucia77 wrote: »
    So it turns out that Merlin has an American celebrity fan:

https://twitter.com/mariedigby

Who just happens to be one of my favourite musicians :D And actually a few weeks ago she released this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Ym0q8UHS0

... which is how Morgana could have turned out if she hadn't turned evil... and is how I suggest Merlin occupies himself
    for the thousands of years he's gonna spend waiting for Arthur after he screws everything up ;)

Ha that video could be from an episode of merlin
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For this reason I expect I will have issues with the ending (I didn't like the ending of LOTR because Frodo goes off and leaves everyone :( which doesn't quite fulfill the Happily Ever After criteria!)

I think LOTR is actually a really good example of how a mixed end of triumph and tragedy works really well. It IS sad that Frodo is never the same again and in the end he has to leave everyone. But at the same time to think 'well at least he succeeded and the ring was destroyed'.

The trouble with this show is it won't be 'oh Arthur will fall at Camlann but at least he built this great kingdom and it was awesome for a time'. He didn't! If/when Arthur dies, you won't be able to look back and think 'all the horrible things that happened were worth it' because they weren't. And that's a very odd direction to take with a show and story such as this!
    Forum Member
    I signed up for the free months Netflix because I thought merlin was on it. But is that only in the US?
    Forum Member
    Ha that video could be from an episode of merlin

Yeah that's what I thought when I first saw it... except that she doesn't stop to make camp half-way through :D
    Forum Member
    I signed up for the free months Netflix because I thought merlin was on it. But is that only in the US?

Yeah, I signed up for the free month too, but cancelled afterwards. Netflix UK is pretty rubbish, not much on there worth watching really... Apparently Netflix in America is really good, but we only get the crappy version over here :mad: If only iTunes did a rental system for TV shows...
  • Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did think that Alex chose his words unwisely, especially considering the dedication of the Merthur fan-girls. I do however completely agree with Alex that Merlin and Arthur have a platonic love, like many friends do (although it's more common amongst girls imo). I would hope that Bradley wouldn't be so childish as to respond in that way without completely understanding what Alex was getting at

Whilst not in any way speculating that Bradley did unfollow Alex (I agree - it would be hugely childish and totally uncalled for) can I just say that I didn't see anything remotely unwise about describing Merlin and Arthur's relationship as platonic love. That is clearly what it is! Only the most uptight so- fiercely-heterosexual-you-have-to-wonder-what-they-are-hiding male would take offence at that. And I don't think Bradley is that uptight. It was he who added the most fuel to the fangirls' fire by saying that his bromance with Merlin was stronger than his romance with Gwen (admittedly, several series ago, but still, what is said can not be unsaid). It is just an example of what I meant about how Bradley seems to have soured. He didn't mind saying that a few years ago, now there are rumours (doubtless unfounded) that he unfollows anyone who even mentions the bromance! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Avi8 wrote: »
    Whilst not in any way speculating that Bradley did unfollow Alex (I agree - it would be hugely childish and totally uncalled for) can I just say that I didn't see anything remotely unwise about describing Merlin and Arthur's relationship as platonic love. That is clearly what it is! Only the most uptight so- fiercely-heterosexual-you-have-to-wonder-what-they-are-hiding male would take offence at that. And I don't think Bradley is that uptight. It was he who added the most fuel to the fangirls' fire by saying that his bromance with Merlin was stronger than his romance with Gwen (admittedly, several series ago, but still, what is said can not be unsaid). It is just an example of what I meant about how Bradley seems to have soured. He didn't mind saying that a few years ago, now there are rumours (doubtless unfounded) that he unfollows anyone who even mentions the bromance! :rolleyes:

I think he blocks rather than unfollows people :) he wouldn't be following fans in the first place, personally if I was a celeb I would block anyone who had my face as their profile picture
    And I think that's what he's doing maybe but they haven't figured it out yet
This discussion has been closed.