Options

Series 5

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
Forum Member
✭✭
Re-watched series 5 yesterday, did they ever confirm who the time ship in the Lodger belonged to?

And who was behind blowing up the Tardis?

Comments

• Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Re-watched series 5 yesterday, did they ever confirm who the time ship in the Lodger belonged to?
    No and No!
    It is assumed by most that the Silence/Silents is the answer to both questions, but it has never actually been confirmed.
    Don't hold your breath waiting.......
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldnt remember when or if they had been answered. Hopefully Moffet used the Silence religion more and we find out a bit more about them, otherwise they were overhyped for nothing
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it turned out the Silence had a ship the same as the one in the Lodger I thought Moffat was going to link it all together beautifully and show that the silence were following the Doctor in Series 5.

Nope..
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    In The Lodger, the ship had no pilot, so was looking for someone compatible to pilot it.

In Day of the Moon, all the Silents inside the ship are killed.

Putting 2 and 2 together, Day of the Moon happens just before The Lodger in term's of the Silents' timeline. The ones in the ship are killed, ship travels to craig's house and latches onto the roof.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's brilliant Davros:)

I was just thinking that maybe at Tranzalore- the results of that will mean any escaping silence will run away, to regroup and go after the doctor. Perhaps some go back in time to found the religeon, or cause others to found the religion. Setting of a chain of events, which causes the cracks to appear in the first place.

Maybe they they will deliver a plan back to the past, so they can deliberately start with prisoner Zero and wait, knowing the Tardis will turn up there at some point on the other side of that crack, causing Amy to go travelling ( with Rory) and make a 'time baby'.

loop complete?

Probably missed something there.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davros and Kyller be blowing minds all up in this place tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe my mind got blown up a while back and that is the problem :D ?

oh- just thought of another little bit- the silent ship at the top of the stairs went there because there was a crack already there and it was the 'closest' in time and space to where it was already?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back then it was rumoured somebody like Omega was behind it all

Maybe the Silence religion doesnt just have the silents as its members ;)
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The ship in The Lodger definitely belonged to the Silence, but it had no pilot because the Silence had been thrown off Earth just over 40 years prior.
    This was definitely made clear.

With regards to who blew up the TARDIS, we are supposed to assume that it was the Silence, but it was never wrapped up and explained very well.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    The ship in The Lodger definitely belonged to the Silence, but it had no pilot because the Silence had been thrown off Earth just over 40 years prior.

With regards to who blew up the TARDIS, we are supposed to assume that it was the Silence, but it was never wrapped up and explained very well.

Unfortunately, this is true - it wasn't explicitly stated in the show, just insinuated. But the write up for series 6 in the Radio Times, by Moff himself, confirmed it was the Silence.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    There was an enormous story arc that Moffat had planned that would eventually have revealed everything. But because of quite a bit of critical feedback about season 5 and (in particular) season 6, he decided (or was instructed) to drop it all and make something more accessible.

Hence the move to more self-contained episodes for season 7 and a number of questions left unanswered.

Personally, season 7 has been my favourite of Moffat's three seasons so far, so I think it was a good call.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have enjoyed most of the s7 episodes individually, but do think there is something missing. A background linking them all would have filled that little missing part in.
    He should have stuck to his guns.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    There was an enormous story arc that Moffat had planned that would eventually have revealed everything. But because of quite a bit of critical feedback about season 5 and (in particular) season 6, he decided (or was instructed) to drop it all and make something more accessible.

Hence the move to more self-contained episodes for season 7 and a number of questions left unanswered.

Personally, season 7 has been my favourite of Moffat's three seasons so far, so I think it was a good call.

If that's true it's a shame. I enjoyed a longer arc with more mystery and the blockbuster series could of waited. If you're going to do two years of heavy arc, you may as well finish it off rather than leave so many unanswered questions.

Wonder what was planned. It really began to feel like he was making it up as he went along but if he had an enormous arc planned all along it must of been amazing.

Shame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it does make me laugh that according to that, Moffat was told to drop an arc that had only been going for two years but featured heavily in the series so was known about by everyone, and yet there are people who think Clara is going to turn out to be Cal. A girl from one story that aired 5 years ago who the main audience will not remember in the slightest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have enjoyed most of the s7 episodes individually, but do think there is something missing. A background linking them all would have filled that little missing part in.
    He should have stuck to his guns.

I think, with Clara, we'll get something a bit more like Bad Wolf (from season one) or Doctor/Donna (from season 4) - a gentle but interesting story arc that sits within a single season and is hinted at before being resolved/revealed in the finale.
  • Options
    C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member

He hasnt dropped anything, he's just scaled it all back, we're still getting answers at the end of the season and in the next two speicals
  • Options
    Forum Member
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    He hasnt dropped anything, he's just scaled it all back, we're still getting answers at the end of the season and in the next two speicals

Glad to hear it. Look forward to finding out who tried to blow up the TARDIS with River inside! Hope other viewers still remember it (it was three years ago).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dont think it was made very clear
  • Options
    tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont think it was made very clear

It was made obvious enough when the silence had an identical one in The Impossible Astronaut.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you notice in the End Of Time Part 2, that both the Eleventh Doctor and Rassilon did a bit of spitting? Rassillon's was when he was sat on his great chair and the Doctor's was when he was in the burning Tardis console room.

Anyway, Series 5. I didn't like The Lodger that much. As I said in another thread about two weeks ago, James Corden wasn't that good I thought. He was great in G&S and Horne and Corden, but not this.

I enjoyed Victory of the Daleks a lot. Ian McNeice as Churchill. Wow! They got him right.

One question I do want to get answered is how come Amy didn't know the Daleks? She must've seen them when they tried to invade the Earth in The Stolen Earth, surely?
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    It was answered. She forgot them because of the cracks.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, of course! The crack in her bedroom wall, when she was eight years old. I remember now. Thanks for that! :D:D;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Yes, of course! The crack in her bedroom wall, when she was eight years old. I remember now. Thanks for that! :D:D;)

But it altered her life all together, wasn't it supposed to have messed with the town a bit because there weren't any ducks in the duck pond (or that could be because the cracks had messed with Amy's head and she thought she knew stuff she didn't).
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't believe this for a second.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe this for a second.

Doesn't mean it isn't true :D