Don't go with Plusnet now they are part of BT.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was with the rubbish service of BT and changed a few years ago to Plusnet, who where great, sadly since being taken over by BT are now rubbish, call times are long, and in the last 3 days the Internet has crashed 2 times.. So advice don't bother with them.

Comments

• gothergother Posts: 14,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm quite happy with them had a small outage last night but nothing too bad, been with them 7 months and apart from last night and a major outage a few months ago i have no problems.
    Maybe it's your wiring, router, wifi?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    I'm quite happy with them had a small outage last night but nothing too bad, been with them 7 months and apart from last night and a major outage a few months ago i have no problems.
    Maybe it's your wiring, router, wifi?

Nope after a wait of 20mins on phone, they said it was a problem both times in the area. Not helpful at all, my box was tested!
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One persons experience does not define what the service is for everyone.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been with them about 4 years during which the service has been very reliable - a couple of outages of a few hours, both some time ago. I have only called them twice and they were very helpful on both occasions, and someone with a Yorkshire accent who knows what they are talking about certainly beats someone in India who is clearly reading from a script.
  • cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mother is with plusnet and they have been the definition of patience on their helpline.
  • Michael09Michael09 Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    I was with the rubbish service of BT and changed a few years ago to Plusnet, who where great, sadly since being taken over by BT are now rubbish, call times are long, and in the last 3 days the Internet has crashed 2 times.. So advice don't bother with them.

BT have owned Plusnet since 2007 so probably a number of factors have contributed to it's drop in quality of service.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    Nope after a wait of 20mins on phone, they said it was a problem both times in the area. Not helpful at all, my box was tested!

The phone cs wait is terrible it's always 15-20 minutes but they have been very helpful and quite pleasant too, their forums are very good too even though there may be a delay of a day http://community.plus.net/forum/
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always found their CS great.
  • alan.walan.w Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    I've been with them about 4 years during which the service has been very reliable - a couple of outages of a few hours, both some time ago. I have only called them twice and they were very helpful on both occasions, and someone with a Yorkshire accent who knows what they are talking about certainly beats someone in India who is clearly reading from a script.

I Have been with them around 15 months and have had a couple of short outages and one from lasting 7 hours a BT upgrade tec support told me along with a finish time of before 4:30 and it came on 15 mins before that :)
    I am happy with them and like above support in north is far better that offshore :)
  • Eddie MunsterEddie Munster Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plusnet have been part of BT for about 10 years.
  • tintin Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As some people already pointed out Plusnet has been part of BT since 2007.

Also their CS (and service generally) had periods of being monumentally bad before they were taken over. They have (had?) improved a lot even under BT's ownership.

Whether or not recent problems are anything to do with some kind of closer integration with BT can only be inaccurate speculation surely.

You could always go with John Lewis broadband which is Plusnet with higher-end CS bolted on :)

then again out of interest I just read their trustpilot page!! https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.plus.net
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pre-BT Plusnet wasn't that good. They had extremely overzealous traffic shaping, ridiculous caps, and as then dialup user I remember them having a massive hissy fit because I used "too many hours".

Post-BT Plusnet seems to have reinvented themselves as the half decent but still fairly cheap ISP. For the most part BT seems to have otherwise left them alone, to the point where Plusnet are a better choice than BT proper is.
  • tintin Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Pre-BT Plusnet wasn't that good. They had extremely overzealous traffic shaping, ridiculous caps, and as then dialup user I remember them having a massive hissy fit because I used "too many hours".

This kind of stuff is vaguely what I remember.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plusnet have been part of BT for about 10 years.

Really, that long?

nah, I been at my place of work for ten years and BT did not own plusnet then as i was still with Metronet and it was Plusnet taking over Metronet that I left and BT had nothing to do with it then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »

Yep, that is why I left pretty quick when Plusnet took over Metronet.Not the dial up bit as I was on ADSl at the time, but the traffic management.
    Post-BT Plusnet seems to have reinvented themselves as the half decent but still fairly cheap ISP. For the most part BT seems to have otherwise left them alone, to the point where Plusnet are a better choice than BT proper is.[/QUOTE]

They are not too bad to be honest, i was not sure about going with them. I know I had a couple of problems in the first month, none of them Plusnet fault, but I got through to their customer service easy enough and they sorted both problems out pretty quickly.

The only problem I have now is my upload is not as fast as it could be. when I start using upload more I will get in touch with Plusnet and see why, not too bothered at the moment.
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Really, that long?

nah, I been at my place of work for ten years and BT did not own plusnet then as i was still with Metronet and it was Plusnet taking over Metronet that I left and BT had nothing to do with it then.

Yup really that long:

On 16 November 2006, it was announced that BT were making an offer for all shares in Plusnet. The BT deal (worth approximately £67 million) was declared unconditional on 24 January 2007 (after OFT approval was granted).[2]

On 5 March 2007, shortly after the BT acquisition, the Plusnet chief executive, Lee Strafford, and the finance director, Neil Comer, were dismissed by BT.[3] Strafford was replaced as CEO by a former BT employee, Neil Laycock, who had been with Plusnet in various senior roles for the preceding 3 years.

BT bought the Brightview Group in July 2007, and Brightview's subsidiary Madasafish became a trading name of Plusnet.[4]
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    I am still with PN even after a recent three week outage! It was of course all the fault of BT Openreach digging up the local roads. It did of course affect everyone else. I got a few pounds "compensation" but this was a "goodwill gesture" as apparently my contract did not include any guarantee of actually receiving a service!

The question here though is what does one want and who can provide it at a reasonable cost. There are very few actual providers nowadays whatever they may call themselves. My biggest gripe is the necessary addon of "line rental" telecoms equivalent of Air Passenger Duty! Why can't they just add it into the price? Even the Gas and electric companies now have a compulsory £20 a month "standing charge" instead of the option to pay for ait all inclusive.

Plusnet? No frills, reasonable prices, and generally does work. Hey ho.....
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, that is why I left pretty quick when Plusnet took over Metronet.Not the dial up bit as I was on ADSl at the time, but the traffic management.
    Post-BT Plusnet seems to have reinvented themselves as the half decent but still fairly cheap ISP. For the most part BT seems to have otherwise left them alone, to the point where Plusnet are a better choice than BT proper is.

They are not too bad to be honest, i was not sure about going with them. I know I had a couple of problems in the first month, none of them Plusnet fault, but I got through to their customer service easy enough and they sorted both problems out pretty quickly.

The only problem I have now is my upload is not as fast as it could be. when I start using upload more I will get in touch with Plusnet and see why, not too bothered at the moment.

Are you on on ADSL? Plusnet do cap the upload a bit. I found this out a while back. They will uncap it if you ask them, but there may be a small extra each month for this dependent on what market BT exchange you have. Also it might affect your download a bit (I didn't notice any difference)
  • Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They (Plusnet) were very helpful when my parents' phone line 'lost a leg' and stopped working for calls and reduced their broadband speed, I first made contact with Plusnet through their support ticket system and followed it up with a quick post on their community forum. A Plusnet representative was able to link the forum account with the support ticket and made a reply, acknowledging the ticket, and stating what the fault was and that it had been logged with BT - all within 20 minutes of posting / opening the ticket.

Within 48 hours the line was fixed which restored the broadband speed, all from one support ticket and forum follow up post which probably took less than 5 minutes during a lunch break. No call centre required :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    Yup really that long:

On 16 November 2006, it was announced that BT were making an offer for all shares in Plusnet. The BT deal (worth approximately £67 million) was declared unconditional on 24 January 2007 (after OFT approval was granted).[2]

On 5 March 2007, shortly after the BT acquisition, the Plusnet chief executive, Lee Strafford, and the finance director, Neil Comer, were dismissed by BT.[3] Strafford was replaced as CEO by a former BT employee, Neil Laycock, who had been with Plusnet in various senior roles for the preceding 3 years.

BT bought the Brightview Group in July 2007, and Brightview's subsidiary Madasafish became a trading name of Plusnet.[4]

That is not ten years then, close but a couple of years or so out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rossby41 wrote: »
    Are you on on ADSL? Plusnet do cap the upload a bit. I found this out a while back. They will uncap it if you ask them, but there may be a small extra each month for this dependent on what market BT exchange you have. Also it might affect your download a bit (I didn't notice any difference)

I am on FTTC. Plusnet have a done a strange thing with uploads on FTTC, they have now decided that upload will be 2Mb/s on their 38Mb/s package instead of 10. AS a customer it does not affect me, but it seems like they are trying to compete with Talk Talk and save some money.
    To get a higher upload new customers have to go for the 80mb/s package, which is fine if you can get over 39Mb/s.
    It is now making me question about whether to recommend plusnet or not. With more people using cloud based services, I would have thought upload speed would be important these days.l
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am on PlusNet, having been with BT for years. I have nothing but praise for the company and especially its CS! So good to speak to someone from Yorkshire rather than the sub-continent. And, as someone said, they seem to know what they are talking about. I also am grateful they have a cheaper land line price, especially if you pay annually. The equivalent of £12.99 a month as opposed to £15.95 a month! How much is BT land line price?
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,064
    Forum Member
    Right well this seems as good a place to ask this Plusnet related query.

Just switched my dad to Plusnet from BT, they say they don't need a MAC now so to ignore any emails requesting one.

Also, it just says the service will go live in 10 days. Now I know Plusnet required an Openreach modem. Is this still the case or do they now have a built in VDSL unit? Fortunately he does have an Openreach modem already, but they couldn't possibly have known that.

And yes I do agree the new 2Mbit upload on the cheapest package is poor. But it is what it is, a good deal and actually a cheaper way of getting BT Sport too (I did the figures and it does seem cheaper than BT's packages now).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    Right well this seems as good a place to ask this Plusnet related query.

Just switched my dad to Plusnet from BT, they say they don't need a MAC now so to ignore any emails requesting one.

Also, it just says the service will go live in 10 days. Now I know Plusnet required an Openreach modem. Is this still the case or do they now have a built in VDSL unit? Fortunately he does have an Openreach modem already, but they couldn't possibly have known that.

And yes I do agree the new 2Mbit upload on the cheapest package is poor. But it is what it is, a good deal and actually a cheaper way of getting BT Sport too (I did the figures and it does seem cheaper than BT's packages now).

Still need a Open Reach modem, Plusnet supplies a sagem hacked router.
    Plusnet would have known your Dad was on FTTC with BT, so I expect they have thought that BTOR would have supplied a modem for that. It is only recently that BT have supplied a all in one router.
    Saying that Plusnet should have asked to make sure.

Plusnet is certainly cheaper than BT and got far better customer service. One of the reason I went to plusnet was because of the higher upload speed. Ok they allow old customers to stay on the higher speed, but for how long?
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am on FTTC. Plusnet have a done a strange thing with uploads on FTTC, they have now decided that upload will be 2Mb/s on their 38Mb/s package instead of 10.

Not according to this speedtest http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4446381766