Wimbledon 2Day! (BBC2 8:30pm)

Comments

• tivtiv Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    Why do we even need a highlights show immediately after about 13 hours of live tennis over two channels anyway?

That is a good question. In the 90's I think it was it was shown at 22:00 and hosted by Des Lynham and Jerry something or other. They were excellent hosts and there was time to put a good show together.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    Why do we even need a highlights show immediately after about 13 hours of live tennis over two channels anyway?

Really? Because most people are at work all day, not slouched in front of the telly in their pants watching tennis. The HL show is/was for them.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you think of BBC1/BBC2 as being for retired folk spending their day watching Wimbledon, then not having a recap of the day's play makes sense.

Unfair accusation? No, look at all the other programmes on those channels.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Really? Because most people are at work all day, not slouched in front of the telly in their pants watching tennis. The HL show is/was for them.

Wimbledon 2day doesn't look like a highlight show to me, More of a messing around show that is little to do with Tennis.
  • stonostono Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Wimbledon 2day doesn't look like a highlight show to me, More of a messing around show that is little to do with Tennis.

which is fine if the Beeb want to do a SoccerAM style tennis chat show, but Sky still have goals on Sunday for the goals, so wheres the tennis highlights show.

I would have said Eurosport as Im sure they covered wimbledon through highlights last year, but that maybe a sore subject in Beeb circles at the moment.
  • Sandgrounder1Sandgrounder1 Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've given them stools to sit on tonight, obviously read this forum!
  • chipsauntchipsaunt Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The BBC Messageboard was utterly scathing about this show yesterday. I think the Beeb does take some notice of that, not sure they read DS but maybe they do.
    Anyway, any improvement of the show will be welcome.
  • MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is like Top Gear outdoors with all these plastic posers desperate to be on TV. I have already had enough and turned it off. As for the host I don't want a ban and will say nothing about her.
  • creasecrease Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    If you think of BBC1/BBC2 as being for retired folk spending their day watching Wimbledon..

I don't though , and have never spoke to anyone who does?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    That's round one to us then. Next stop .. get rid of the dumb audience please. Claire Balding can stay for now (only just mind, the jury is still out). So far, tonight's 'show' is about as cringeworthy as last night's so I have taken it off series record and dumped it.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only just switched over to it. Immediately reminded me of the setup they use for the Snooker where they have the presenters sat in the winter gardens for the world championship:

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/EMEYPG/sheffield-winter-gardens-world-championship-snooker-bbc-sports-broadcast-EMEYPG.jpg

They have members of the public stood behind watching them at that too. I wonder if they've tried to replicate that sort of "vibe".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given that this is supposedly the highlight show, they are still showing only a small amount of actual tennis. Sitting people down is OK but the audience is still annoying and pointless, and they are still standing!

I doubt this show will improve. I spend all day at work so usually record hours of tennis, and try to watch that when I get home. Giving this show a miss will give me more catch-up time.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very creepy vibe having those bored people just staring at the interview in process.

Top Gear just about got away with that because of some aspect of Jeremy Clarksons personality made it seem reasonable.
  • Imogen_RichardsImogen_Richards Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Very creepy vibe having those bored people just staring at the interview in process.

Top Gear just about got away with that because of some aspect of Jeremy Clarksons personality made it seem reasonable.

Also on Top Gear the audience actually face the presenters. Here, they stand behind them which just looks ridiculous. It seems to be inhibiting the experts, along with Clare Balding talking across Martina.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The naff title sums up this "Dog and Pony Show."

"Reality TV comes to Wimbledon."

Henman looks embarrassed and so he should be with this nonsense. Put the programme back as it was.
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiv wrote: »
    That is a good question. In the 90's I think it was it was shown at 22:00 and hosted by Des Lynham and Jerry something or other. They were excellent hosts and there was time to put a good show together.

Gerrard Williams I think it was. As you say, both were excellent and a genuine highlights show when the days play was over. This 8.30pm show is on too early for a highlights programme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also on Top Gear the audience actually face the presenters. Here, they stand behind them which just looks ridiculous. It seems to be inhibiting the experts, along with Clare Balding talking across Martina.

We might be being unfair, all those glum faces in the background, might just have a long night ahead of them, as they form the end of the queue for tickets.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having an audience there is totally unnecessary and quite distracting. OK there was one question from an audience member tonight but that blatantly was purely for the sake of it and not required. Ditch 'em! And for me it was way better when Inverdale presented. I don't mind Clare Balding in small doses but it seems like she's suddenly doing everything. What are they going to shoe horn her into next, football? F1? For me its too much. I bet Sue Barker's wondering is she'll be replaced by her for the presenting duties during the day next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twitter hates it too. My guess is that the Beeb will take some notice of the "media storm". Can't wait to see what changes next.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Having an audience there is totally unnecessary and quite distracting. OK there was one question from an audience member tonight but that blatantly was purely for the sake of it and not required. Ditch 'em! And for me it was way better when Inverdale presented. I don't mind Clare Balding in small doses but it seems like she's suddenly doing everything. What are they going to shoe horn her into next, football? F1? For me its too much. I bet Sue Barker's wondering is she'll be replaced by her for the presenting duties during the day next year.

I wouldn't be surprised, "after all compared to Clare Balding, what does Sue Barker know about tennis?"
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit better today. She's struggling though with all the tweets and the set looks like the ideal home exhibition. The audience look like they want to go home.

Up next on #wimbledon2day, members of the audience help Claire Balding prepare a zesty summer salad

I bet this isnt repeated next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit better today. She's struggling though with all the tweets and the set looks like the ideal home exhibition. The audience look like they want to go home.

Up next on #wimbledon2day, members of the audience help Claire Balding prepare a zesty summer salad

A bet this isn't repeated next year.

I've been wondering how the BBC will get food preparation into a Wimbledon programme, they've managed to get it into pretty much everything else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    John Inverdale's 'crimes' seem so minor and his punishment so petty now. The really really scary thing is that the person or persons unknown in the useless BBC who inflicted Claire Balding and this most inane and jaw droppingly bad dumbing down on tennis fans will tomorrow skip back into their offices at the BBC. There, they will pop in their ear plugs and sing 'la la' very loudly as they continue to ply their trade of serial dumbing down, political correctness and just plain dreadfulness and (wait for it) we will all continue to pay their salaries. I am so happy it hurts.