Freddie Mercury

scorerscorer Posts: 5,004
Forum Member
Freddie died 21 years a go yesterday so why isn't at least one of the music channels doing a top 40 of Queen or something instead of earlier than ever Christmas videos?

Comments

• icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because they;re only interested in manufactured fake x factor style music these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ic wrote: »
    because they;re only interested in manufactured fake x factor style music these days.

This:(
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A well deserved thread for a truly naturally talented artist. Such a unique voice, when he passed, I never thought the rest of the band should even consider bringing in another lead singer, Freddie was irreplaceable. Robbie Williams, although he has a so-so voice, was a non starter and the eventual 'stand in', Paul Rogers, was the wrong choice. I concur 100%; record producers think that manufactured pop is what the record buying public seem to want. Some of us still appreciate listening to songs with lyrics which actually have a meaning to them, a song which has a message to it.
    RIP Freddie. You were the best!
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scorer wrote: »
    Freddie died 21 years a go yesterday so why isn't at least one of the music channels doing a top 40 of Queen or something instead of earlier than ever Christmas videos?

Wonder if Sky Arts 1 did anything as they tend to rerun a few Queen documentaries.
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ic wrote: »

Trouble out of all the music channels available, the likelyhood of a Queen rundown is on MTV Classic or VH1 and at the moment they are doing wall to wall Christmas music videos.
  • grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    A well deserved thread for a truly naturally talented artist. Such a unique voice, when he passed, I never thought the rest of the band should even consider bringing in another lead singer, Freddie was irreplaceable. Robbie Williams, although he has a so-so voice, was a non starter and the eventual 'stand in', Paul Rogers, was the wrong choice. I concur 100%; record producers think that manufactured pop is what the record buying public seem to want. Some of us still appreciate listening to songs with lyrics which actually have a meaning to them, a song which has a message to it.

Queen ended when Freddie died, i think any Queen fan would tell you that. Just watched the Live Aid performance again for the 100th time. Legendary!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    louise1966 wrote: »

He's arguably the greatest frontman ever so its virtually impossible to replace him. The only singer who would have done an excellent job was George Michael, the star of the Freddie Mercury tribute concert.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awful singer if there ever was one.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol...
  • PenrosePenrose Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin on demand have a playlist of his stuff, the Christmas stuff in November gets on my tits.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who is your favourite singer Justin Bieber... Give me a break. At least Freddie Mercury didn't need to auto tune his voice like most singers nowadays.

Is that why when the Freddie Mercury tribute concert was held the guest singers couldn't sing in his range and had to lower the key to make it comfortable for the guest singers to sing the Queen songs.

Live Aid was dire until Queen hit the stage and did 18 minutes for pure awesomeness and blew each and every other act of the stage. I do agree after 1991 Queen died and I wished Brian and Roger didn't use the Queen name, but they are still part of the band and the Queen name pulls in the fans still after 21 years of no lead singer.

I cannot watch These Are The Days video as Freddie just looks so ill.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grazman wrote: »
    Queen ended when Freddie died, i think any Queen fan would tell you that. Just watched the Live Aid performance again for the 100th time. Legendary!

I often wonder, though, whether he would be held in such high regard today if they hadn't done that performance.

Certainly prior to that performance the band were disintegrating and they didn't want to do it, it was only Bob Geldof's perseverance that talked them in to it. That one performance single-handedly resurrected their career.
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    A legend pure and simple. I have the Freddie book with all the CDs and DVD's. it's fantastic. Especially the recording of him in a hotel with Montserrat Caballé. Just to hear him talking and laughing as they practice is amazing.

Such a nice and shy person who had the ability to control a stage like no one before or since.

RIP Freddie, one of a kind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    correct!!

and dont forget what a money grabbing cretin he and his band mates became.
    playing for 'white only' crowds in south africa [sun city] and then within the year making millions[and a huge second career] out of their heralded performance at live aid allegedly for starving black africans.
    if queen gave a shit about black people in africa they certainly would not have taken the racist's huge cheques to play for the rich white man only..infact the disgusting greed of mercury and his band set the equal rights movement back in south africa..disgusting band and disgusting singer..no great loss to music at all.
    Forum Member
    Who is your favourite singer Justin Bieber... Give me a break. At least Freddie Mercury didn't need to auto tune his voice like most singers nowadays.

Is that why when the Freddie Mercury tribute concert was held the guest singers couldn't sing in his range and had to lower the key to make it comfortable for the guest singers to sing the Queen songs.

Live Aid was dire until Queen hit the stage and did 18 minutes for pure awesomeness and blew each and every other act of the stage. I do agree after 1991 Queen died and I wished Brian and Roger didn't use the Queen name, but they are still part of the band and the Queen name pulls in the fans still after 21 years of no lead singer.

I cannot watch These Are The Days video as Freddie just looks so ill.

at least justin bieber has and always has allowed black people into his concerts and never taken money for performance off racist's.........i have no time for racist's like mercury
  • scorerscorer Posts: 5,004
    Forum Member
    Deleted.......
    Forum Member
    rumandlime wrote: »
    Disgusting band and disgusting singer..no great loss to music at all.

You are quite wrong about the above statement.

Freddie was, is and always will be a great loss to music despite whatever controversial things he may have done.

Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing about music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    at least justin bieber has and always has allowed black people into his concerts and never taken money for performance off racist's.........i have no time for racist's like mercury

Can i have some of what your drinking please? How in the hell did playing in Sun City all of a sudden make Freddie a racist? The band stated that it wasn't politically motivated and was for the reasons that they had fan base down there and they played for them in fact they were even told that they would be playing for a mixed crowd! It might have not been the smartest move but it dosnt make them racists!

Freddie for me will never be touched! The range where he took his voice was unbelievable as was his live presence i just wish to god i was alive to experience it in the flesh! Even Freddie on his last year when his voice was fading rapidly puts the so called big stars these days to shame! An amazing performer that was taken to soon!
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    correct!!

playing for 'white only' crowds in south africa [sun city] and then within the year making millions[and a huge second career] out of their heralded performance at live aid allegedly for starving black africans.
    if queen gave a shit about black people in africa they certainly would not have taken the racist's huge cheques to play for the rich white man only..infact the disgusting greed of mercury and his band set the equal rights movement back in south africa..disgusting band and disgusting singer..no great loss to music at all.
    Not their finest hour - they did show extremely poor judgement.

Freddie as well as Queen (with Freddie and John) are still legends though and there's no evidence they were out and out racists. RIP.
    Forum Member
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    Not their finest hour - they did show extremely poor judgement.

Freddie as well as Queen (with Freddie and John) are still legends though and there's no evidence they were out and out racists. RIP.

at least someone has realised the sheer nature of the point here.....if i had a pound for every person that has told me how 'amazing' freddie and queen where that day[live aid 1985].
    i dont dissagree that they [queen] possibly did steal the show...also take into account the huge 'kick back' they recieved in album sales on the back of this huge event..some people even go further and say that it kick started queens flagging career...
    there is no argument that live aid was 'better' for queen than possibly anyone.....and i include many starving africans and the egotistic bob geldof in that.
    however the mere fact that queen went against many calls from other artists [AUAA] and actually played gigs where black people were not allowed is really sickening.
    especially as they became so prominent at the live aid gig.the whole thing smacks of hypocrisy...
    [AUAA]
    Artists United Against Apartheid was a 1985 protest group founded by activist and performer Steven Van Zandt and record producer Arthur Baker to protest apartheid in South Africa. The group produced the song "Sun City" and the album Sun City that year.
    Forum Member
    Deleted..........
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    correct!!

Rather than spouting hatred rubbish about Freddie, if you read about it then you would know the truth.

They did not play to "whites only" they insisted on mixed audiances and they were although mainly white. They admitted it was a mistake. They were never a political band their music was about having a good time. It was niaive of them to do it but they were anything but racist.
  • pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freddie Mercury was a non-white person born and raised in an African nation. It astounds me how Freddie gets so much shit for Sun City (although I accept it was a terrible decision) when the likes of Rod Stewart, Frank Sinatra and Black Sabbath among many, many others get away with it. Always Queen when it comes to Sun City.

Oh, and black people played Sun City too - how about Ray Charles and Tina Turner? They would've been victims of apartheid had they lived in South Africa, just like a certain Freddie Mercury. Similarly, the criticism is rather quiet there.

If Nelson Mandela can get over it and has worked closely with Brian May and Roger Taylor on the 46664 project, I'm not sure why you and The Guardian still can't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    scorer wrote: »

I think there was an Imagine programme devoted to him recently.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freddie Mercury with full blown AIDS made a mockery of most of the modern day 'singers' we have today

I await your much revered list of better vocalists

This was the last song Freddie ever wrote, rather poignant given Christmas is upon on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6U-Wu6zzKE