10 weeks in a row the number one single sells 100k+

scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When did this last happen? This is fantastic for the music industry. So many records being sold.

Comments

• shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    When did this last happen? This is fantastic for the music industry. So many records being sold.

Just a shame it is click of a button downloads rather than actual cds or vinyl that would help shops out as well.
  • CloudbustingCloudbusting Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Just a shame it is click of a button downloads rather than actual cds or vinyl that would help shops out as well.

Industries need to move with the times, for better or worse. I do find it sad that physical music is fast becoming a thing of the past but it's unfortunately the way of the world. We either accept and prepare for change, or be forgotten and bitter.

This said, I've recently started collecting vinyl and it's great fun. I'm hoping as long as there are people who still like to go retro, there will be the occasional little indie shop still surviving out there somewhere.
  • siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's great to see the singles market so strong atm, sales are really healthy for the whole top 10. It's just a shame the albums are suffering so badly, it's seems rare for both the singles and the album market to be healthy at the same time. Personally, I prefer it when the album market is stronger, but it's still nice to see individual songs sell so much, it looks like we'll get a decent amount of million sellers from this year alone too which is great.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »

Well, it's 2013 after all. Shops on the high street selling music is becoming a thing of the past. Downloading music is better for the average person, it's cheaper, easier, quicker, 24/7 availability, lots more songs to choose from, and downloads take up no physical space.

It's not just music, the same is in the process of happening with books, movies, video games, and so on.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    siriusrose wrote: »
    It's great to see the singles market so strong atm, sales are really healthy for the whole top 10. It's just a shame the albums are suffering so badly, it's seems rare for both the singles and the album market to be healthy at the same time. Personally, I prefer it when the album market is stronger, but it's still nice to see individual songs sell so much, it looks like we'll get a decent amount of million sellers from this year alone too which is great.

This.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    When did this last happen?

May-July 1999. There was a string of 13 in 1998.

The longest stretch of consecutive 100k+ weeks at number 1 is 28 from 1997 (thanks to the Buzzjack Sales thread).
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaulM1983 wrote: »
    May-July 1999. There was a string of 13 in 1998.

The longest stretch of consecutive 100k+ weeks at number 1 is 28 from 1997 (thanks to the Buzzjack Sales thread).

Do you have the figures for 1978, 1979 and also 1984 by any chance? These were meant to be huge selling years. All vinyl of course. Virtually every week during 1978 and 1979 the UK No1 must have sold at least 100,000 singles.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    I think its been a good year for mainstream music, with some very varied no1's

No1's so far have been:

Impossible James Arthur
    "Scream & Shout" will.i.am featuring Britney Spears
    "Get Up (Rattle)" Bingo Players featuring Far East Movement
    "Thrift Shop" Macklemore & Ryan Lewis featuring Wanz
    "I Could Be the One" Avicii vs Nicky Romero
    "One Way or Another (Teenage Kicks)" One Direction
    "Mirrors" Justin Timberlake
    "What About Us" The Saturdays featuring Sean Paul
    "Let's Get Ready to Rhumble" PJ & Duncan
    "Need U (100%)" Duke Dumont featuring A*M*E
    "Waiting All Night" Rudimental featuring Ella Eyre
    "Get Lucky" Daft Punk featuring Pharrell Williams & Nile Rodgers
    "La La La" Naughty Boy featuring Sam Smith
    "Blurred Lines" Robin Thicke featuring T.I. & Pharrell Williams

apart from the usual XFactor winner, the Comic Relief song and the novelty Ant & Dec song, the rest have been pretty decent tunes, The Saturdays one is a bit formulaic though.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will continue for the next few weeks definitely.

Icona Pop this week and John Newhman next week
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    John Newman should definitely get huge sales. His song is awesome too. I think we could break the string of 13, but not the 28 from 1997 lol.

I've liked 2013 for mainstream music. Much better than the past few years.