Options

Was the Kinks song "Days" in Thursdays EastEnders episode ?

Batman1989Batman1989 Posts: 265
Forum Member
Someone told me it was, as I really like The Kinks

I have never heard a Kinks song played I n an EastEnders episode before

If you've never heard of them , they were British rock band originally from the 60s , but lasted till 1996 (Grant and Tiffany era, ha ha )

Comments

• Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was in Last nights Episode
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,312
    Forum Member
    It was a bit random in the middle of the episode like that and it was over quite quickly.
  • Options
    WhiskyrumWhiskyrum Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Kirsty Macoll Thankyou for the day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess it was to do with Peggy
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday ep :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whiskyrum wrote: »

Nope it was the kinks version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Batman1989 wrote: »
    I guess it was to do with Peggy

Yes, she said she had cancer and then it cut to Ben, Kathy, Shirley and Sharon all looking gloomy before focusing on the queen vic sign.
  • Options
    Iced WaterIced Water Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes days by the kinks was featured in last night's episode.
  • Options
    celebmaniacelebmania Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't it also to symbolise that because of 7 episodes being over 1 day - many days also had passed to this episode?

Also where was Peggy - was she in Spain or London? I missed the first part of the episode and then Phil was back with Louise in her school.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    celebmania wrote: »
    Wasn't it also to symbolise that because of 7 episodes being over 1 day - many days also had passed to this episode?

Also where was Peggy - was she in Spain or London? I missed the first part of the episode and then Phil was back with Louise in her school.

London.

It was a bit odd though as Phil said to Sal he was "coming over" but Sal wasn't there. We've seen Sals place previously and the place where Peggy was looked different, seemed to be more like a flat than a house.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    London.

It was a bit odd though as Phil said to Sal he was "coming over" but Sal wasn't there. We've seen Sals place previously and the place where Peggy was looked different, seemed to be more like a flat than a house.
    Yeah Sal's place looks totally different here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca16e-92_e8&feature=player_detailpage#t=88

Roxy also mentions hearing Uncle Harold upstairs so he and Sal must've still been together at that point. (She didn't really hear him but Sal replies 'I didn't hear anything' as though it was a possibility) Nothing's been mentioned since about him dying or them splitting by Sal, but he was nowhere to be seen in last night's episode and Sal being in Portugal with Peggy in 2014 would appear to imply he's long gone.

I know he has never appeared but I find it odd how Sal acts like she is single and how that flat was tiny last night yet there was no sign of him being around. Sal wouldn't split from her husband quietly.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whiskyrum wrote: »

It was the great Ray Davies singing The Kinks original.

The amount of bloody tea that is drunk in Eastenders they should play this as well. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw6qxDPmOGM
  • Options
    MissMonkeyMooMissMonkeyMoo Posts: 3,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    It was a bit random in the middle of the episode like that and it was over quite quickly.

It was really random! And then it just abruptly stopped and it felt like a really bad edit!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was the great Ray Davies singing The Kinks original.

The amount of bloody tea that is drunk in Eastenders they should play this as well. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw6qxDPmOGM

Ray Davies is talented , isn't he ?

Have a cuppa tea was on Muswell Hillbillies , a weird album by them

Word Of Mouth is a good song for Dot !
  • Options
    OuroborosOuroboros Posts: 1,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're going to play this when Stacey gets sectioned. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4

:D
  • Options
    DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was and it was bizarre. I honestly do not understand how that passed through. Fair enough if it had lead onto someone listening to it on the radio or it was a final montage before the end of the episode but no, slap bang in the middle, cheesy, poorly edited - mess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DODS11 wrote: »
    It was and it was bizarre. I honestly do not understand how that passed through. Fair enough if it had lead onto someone listening to it on the radio or it was a final montage before the end of the episode but no, slap bang in the middle, cheesy, poorly edited - mess.

I didn't think the Kinks were a big enough group for the producers to pick a song by them... They are pretty unknown , which was why I was surprised

I saw the episode and think it was nice..but I agree it was stopped too sudden , and they should have let it go on a bit more

Phil was funny in that episode though
  • Options
    AKindSoulAKindSoul Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I didn't think the Kinks were a big enough group for the producers to pick a song by them... They are pretty unknown , which was why I was surprised

I don't think any group with over 20 Top 40 hits and three Number 1's can ever be seen as "pretty unknown".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AKindSoul wrote: »
    I don't think any group with over 20 Top 40 hits and three Number 1's can ever be seen as "pretty unknown".

I hear them quite often on the radio too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AKindSoul wrote: »

Indeed.

The Kinks are one of the greatest and most original bands that this country has ever produced.

With Starman and Lemmy's recent deaths, Ray is one of the few true rock legends that we have left. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed.

The Kinks are one of the greatest and most original bands that this country has ever produced.

With Starman and Lemmy's recent deaths, Ray is one of the few true rock legends that we have left. :)

Aaah but have you ever heard their late 70s, 80s and 90s stuff ?

Unlike Bowie and lemmie , The Kinks were virtually ignored in those eras . and not because they were rubbish , but because they didn't go around the promotion game , etc, the right way... and that was because Ray wanted it like that . He preferred the whole Kinks Kultist Krap that the fan base is , with fans like Frank Lima parading about (annoyingly )

They were more hard rock, punk , new wave-ish in the 80s and 90s

)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaah but have you ever heard their late 70s, 80s and 90s stuff ?

Unlike Bowie and lemmie , The Kinks were virtually ignored in those eras . and not because they were rubbish , but because they didn't go around the promotion game , etc, the right way... and that was because Ray wanted it like that . He preferred the whole Kinks Kultist Krap that the fan base is , with fans like Frank Lima parading about (annoyingly )

They were more hard rock, punk , new wave-ish in the 80s and 90s

)

Ray never played the promotion game.

They could have been huge in '60's America for example. :)

I have to admit it was rather odd to see Days suddenly playing in EE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ray never played the promotion game.

They could have been huge in '60's America for example. :)

I have to admit it was rather odd to see Days suddenly playing in EE.

But The Kinks wouldn't be The Kinks they became if that happened

Some of their best songs wouldn't have been made if they were to have followed the Beatles and Rolling Stones popularity

Have a listen to this song , which was recorded by The Kinks in 1984 .... you wouldn't think its them

The link:

https://youtu.be/dbakDc0yaEg

Tell me if the link works , as I uploaded it myself ... and there are some EastEnders clips on my channel too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But The Kinks wouldn't be The Kinks they became if that happened

Some of their best songs wouldn't have been made if they were to have followed the Beatles and Rolling Stones popularity

Have a listen to this song , which was recorded by The Kinks in 1984 .... you wouldn't think its them

The link:

https://youtu.be/dbakDc0yaEg

Tell me if the link works , as I uploaded it myself ... and there are some EastEnders clips on my channel too

The Kinks never really stuck to one genre or category - they are like Bowie in that regard. :)