Google search : How do you get "jump to text" ?

Does anyone know how to get the "jump to text" feature to work on Google`s search results ? It used to work for me but for some reason has now stopped, and on both my work and home PCs. If you think about it, unless the web page is very short, having a search engine only tell you which page your search terms are on (as opposed to whereabouts on that page) is a bit frustrating !

As a further point, can "jump to text" also be turned on with Google Custom search ? Or, alternatively, "Highlight Search Terms" ? I`ve got a Google Custom Search box on my site and want to improve its use to the readers.

Comments

• Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know how to get the "jump to text" feature to work on Google`s search results ? It used to work for me but for some reason has now stopped, and on both my work and home PCs. If you think about it, unless the web page is very short, having a search engine only tell you which page your search terms are on (as opposed to whereabouts on that page) is a bit frustrating !

As a further point, can "jump to text" also be turned on with Google Custom search ? Or, alternatively, "Highlight Search Terms" ? I`ve got a Google Custom Search box on my site and want to improve its use to the readers.

I take it nobody knows the answer to this then ? And I thought DS posters were smart !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it nobody knows the answer to this then ? And I thought DS posters were smart !

You know if you google "jump to text enable " there are numerous answers.

I have never heard or seen of this function. It's possible many of the smart DS posters haven't either.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Google as my search engine, but have never heard, or used this function (although I must confess...I am far from smart :D ).

I always click on a search link and (if it's a large page full of text), use IE's "Edit > Find on this page..." I assume this is similar to Googles "jump to text"?
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the OP is referring to a feature that used to be in Chrome, and possibly in the Google Toolbar for IE, whereby you could hover the mouse to the right of a search result and see a preview of the page with regions containing that search term highlighted. Then you could click on one of those regions to go to that part of the page.

I just tried this in Chrome and it appears not to be functional - so probably Google have disabled it.

I notice that they often add features and then suddenly drop them. It can be quite annoying, especially if that feature was handy.
    Forum Member
    I think the OP is referring to a feature that used to be in Chrome, and possibly in the Google Toolbar for IE, whereby you could hover the mouse to the right of a search result and see a preview of the page with regions containing that search term highlighted. Then you could click on one of those regions to go to that part of the page.

I just tried this in Chrome and it appears not to be functional - so probably Google have disabled it.

I notice that they often add features and then suddenly drop them. It can be quite annoying, especially if that feature was handy.

The one I mean is when you`ve used Google to find a page, then clicked onto the page, a little window came up in the bottom right hand corner with the line(s) containing the search terms and an option to jump straight to it.
    Forum Member
    This is getting curiouser and curiouser.....
    I think "Jump to Text" may actually be "Quick Scroll", and it`s a feature of the Google tool bar, normally selected via :
    Spanner Icon > Tools > Check box for Quick Scroll.
    However, it was checked but still didn`t work ! On clicking restore defaults it then started working for some reason, we shall see if it stops working again in the future !

Unfortunately I have still have a problem, Quick Scroll doesn`t appear to be working with the Google Custom Search box on my site. Is it something to do with my browser settings ? Does it work for anyone else ? Or is it just that Quick Scroll doesn`t work with Google Custom Search ?
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one I mean is when you`ve used Google to find a page, then clicked onto the page, a little window came up in the bottom right hand corner with the line(s) containing the search terms and an option to jump straight to it.

Google Chrome extension >

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-quick-scroll/okanipcmceoeemlbjnmnbdibhgpbllgc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or is it just that Quick Scroll doesn`t work with Google Custom Search ?

I think I just saw a Google page which said that it doesn't.
    Forum Member
    I think I just saw a Google page which said that it doesn't.

Thanks for that NWM, I think you may be right.....

Incidentally, thinking back to my youth, with a name like NewWorld Man are you a Rush fan ? ! ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incidentally, thinking back to my youth, with a name like NewWorld Man are you a Rush fan ? ! ?

Yes. :)
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard of that function, but it's easy enough to do my highlighting the text in the preview followed by Ctrl+C, then go to the page, do a Ctrl+F, then paste the text into the box. It's a lot quicker and easier than it sounds.

One Google function that I really miss is the ability to view cached pages that are no longer current. I find that I often use the above method, only to find that the previewed text doesn't actually exist anywhere on the page. I assume Google found the cached text, but it has now been replaced. I can only assume that this feature was withdrawn to prevent people viewing libelous comments that were later removed.