Janelle Monae feat. Erykah Badu - Q.U.E.E.N. (Released 22nd April)

gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS.

If you've never heard of Janelle, she's definitely worth checking out - the lead single from her new album 'The Electric Lady' (The fourth suite in the Cindi Mayweather "saga") is getting released/premiered tonight in under two hours.

Janelle's been tweeting some info about the track:
"Q.U.E.E.N. was inspired by private discussions between Erykah and me. It is meant to make you JAM. DANCE. FUNK OUT. and dialogue later..."

"Gimme back my pyramid I'm tryna free Kansas City!"

"But even when you edit me the booty don't lie!"

"Hey brother am I good enough for yo heaven?"

"Add us to equations but they'll never make us equal."

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cannot wait, i made an AT for Janelle last week.....:D :D
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Golden rule: never bother listening to anything including 'feat'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Golden rule: never bother listening to anything including 'feat'.

why not?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    erm wtf??? never listen to anything with feat??? A load of brilliant songs are a partnership between two vocalists :)

And Janelle owns it and Erykah Badu is so damn brilliant and has aced it...so yeah i very much cannot wait for this song!
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    Unsurprisingly, this is brilliant.

Can't wait for Electric Lady!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gelbma0991 wrote: »
    If you've never heard of Janelle, she's definitely worth checking out - the lead single from her new album 'The Electric Lady' (The fourth suite in the Cindi Mayweather "saga") is getting released/premiered tonight in under two hours.

Just a quick correction, The Electric Lady won't be the fourth suite to the Metropolis series, despite the title making it sound as though it could be.

Janelle announced last year she would be "trying something for different for the next project" but "Cindi won't be gone for long, she'll be back for album number 3"
    It will probably tie in to the ArchAndroid movie she's planning on releasing.

Also, listening to Q.U.E.E.N it sounds nothing like the first three suites of Metropolis... Suppose she's trying to experiment with new sounds on this new album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the new song, it's awesome! It really makes me want to jam, dance and funk out. :D It also keeps somewhat true to the roots of The ArchAndroid, whilst experimenting with new ideas. Can't wait for the album.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly, this is brilliant.

Can't wait for Electric Lady!

Agreed!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this will push her into the mainstream...cannot wait to hear it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard it on her You Tube...

Well wel well safe to be said Daft Punk brought Studio 54 back...and now Janelle has brought late 60s Funk back in the game....so different and fresh...i LOOOVE it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Gjy9nIpWQ
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two of the finest, sexiest and talented sistas going for it on one track... what's not to love about this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^ Yeah!!!
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redlight79 wrote: »
    Just a quick correction, The Electric Lady won't be the fourth suite to the Metropolis series, despite the title making it sound as though it could be.

Janelle announced last year she would be "trying something for different for the next project" but "Cindi won't be gone for long, she'll be back for album number 3"
    It will probably tie in to the ArchAndroid movie she's planning on releasing.

Also, listening to Q.U.E.E.N it sounds nothing like the first three suites of Metropolis... Suppose she's trying to experiment with new sounds on this new album.

Yeah - I remember her saying that, but I read somewhere the other day where she said this will be the next suite in the sequence, and then proceeded to state on her promo as well - so I was assuming that she's maybe changed her mind. Especially since "The Electric Lady" could be in reference to the fact Cindi is an android? :p
    I mean she hasn't specifically stated it, but a lot of evidence from recent reading material has pointed in that direction (She does change her mind quite a lot though!). So I do apologise if I have misread it and I'm wrong. :) Either way, I guess it won't matter - she's brilliant with or without the Cindi concept.

She is still saying that there'll be two albums though, so who knows! :D

I wish she'd get that 18 chapter music video and graphic novel out! (As well as the Archandroid Instrumental album!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would buy the graphic novel! It sounds exciting!

I do wonder where it will all head next with The Electric Lady :)
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been waiting for her to tour here ever since she stormed Glastonbury.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quickly going off topic, I never really was keen on "Neon Gumbo" and "Oh, Maker" until I found out that Neon Gumbo is actually "Many Moons" in reverse, and that "Oh Maker" is the story of how Cindi's life was turned upside down since she lost Anthony.

The Metropolis series has so many levels, and every day I love it that little bit more :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ thats what i love and can tell when you hear a true artist...like a REAL artist...when there are layers and multiple meanings behind a song, a lyric, a message...its brilliant and i love finding out and making our own midns out :)

I had no idea Oh Maker was about her breakup...which kinda makes sense too...beautiful song :)

Yeah need to blast QUEEN again, i do wanna see Janelle live...i really hope she has more of a presence with this album across the UK and Europe....The Archandroid (bar of coruse promo clips and galsto performance) was predominantly Stateside exclusive and not worldwide...