Options

The worst idea ever?

davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In each series, Sir Alan always set the candidates a task in which they have to be creative and design a new product, but what product has been the worst ever created?

My vote has to go to Lindsay's "Secret Signals" in Series 1. It was bloomin' awful :D I was baffled over why she thought it was such a good idea. Like a playground full of kids would be sending messages to each other :D The execution of the idea wouldn't have even worked, as how would each kid have known what each symbol meant? It was far too complex and instead of faffing about showing cards to each other, the kids would have just said "let's eat together".

This episode stands as one of my favourite ever episodes though because the idea is hilarious and the team are all helpless, as Lindsay becomes delusional that the idea would be a hit with the kids but in fact, I thought it was just terrible :D

Comments

• Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *bump*
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    Jostling for first position for me are

- environmental greeting cards
    - Lindi's laundry hotline

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    For me, it's tied with Environmentally friendly waste paper cards and the Black Gym-in-a-box. Not only were both ideas and products awful, but even worse, their creators (Jenny C and Ben) and the teams that helped make them deluded themselves that they were brilliant ideas - even more than any other team.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    In each series, Sir Alan always set the candidates a task in which they have to be creative and design a new product, but what product has been the worst ever created?

My vote has to go to Lindsay's "Secret Signals" in Series 1. It was bloomin' awful :D I was baffled over why she thought it was such a good idea. Like a playground full of kids would be sending messages to each other :D The execution of the idea wouldn't have even worked, as how would each kid have known what each symbol meant? It was far too complex and instead of faffing about showing cards to each other, the kids would have just said "let's eat together".

This episode stands as one of my favourite ever episodes though because the idea is hilarious and the team are all helpless, as Lindsay becomes delusional that the idea would be a hit with the kids but in fact, I thought it was just terrible :D

Not sure if it's funny, or worse, that Lindsay ignored the focus group, as well, & still went with Secret Signals.:eek::D

Selling breeze block Cheese to the French, series 3, & Pantsman, last series. have to be up there, of worse ideas.
  • Options
    JamesbucJamesbuc Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    Id say a 'Worst Product Design' has to be both awful and both a detriment to the task.

So while for example Yasmina's chocolates/Sandwiches/Food in General were all awful, they didnt affect the task.

Scratch the Laundry Hotline out too as while it was awful, it wasnt the cause of a loss.

Secret Signals has to probably be a top clanger thanks to the way Lindsay ignored her teams first response, ignored the group of test kids and ignored her team again before running ahead with secret signals.

Im not 100% sure Pantsman was as bad of an idea since I happen to think half the problem of that task was just the whole design.

Again the Enviromental Greetings cards were not all 100% bad, just a lot of the bad points shone through thanks to Kevins shockingly bad speech on the product and Jenny's claim that she doesnt buy many cards anymore.

Same with the Black Gym in a box. It was bad, but not to the point of a team being able to salvage it.

Probably the Doggy Strap from S3 and the Secret Signals toy from S1 in joint 1st position for me.
  • Options
    totalwisetotalwise Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely business 101 is market research market research market research,, how can someone ignore a focus group...

she needs to be in a 9-5 job, not business imo
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    parthy wrote: »
    Jostling for first position for me are

- environmental greeting cards
    - Lindi's laundry hotline

:)

One of my favourite Sugar quotes ever...

'Hello girls, how're my pants doing?' :D:D

I can sum up my thoughts on this topic in two simple words..

Pants. Man.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    secret signals definitely - it was a genuine WTF?? moment
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Back in either series 1 Episode 2, they had to invent a toy and one of the geniuses suggested a toy that encouraged pre-school kids to play with 240 volt electricity sockets. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqD1A5f7jqs&feature=related
  • Options
    nerf666nerf666 Posts: 9,029
    Forum Member
    Who was the toff who tried to heat some sausages using an empty can of baked beans? lol
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Selling cheep and nasty cheese to the French
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nerf666 wrote: »
    Who was the toff who tried to heat some sausages using an empty can of baked beans? lol

That would be the dashing Lt. Paul Callaghan, a.k.a. Captain Mainwaring. He tragically didn't realise later that he was a donkey leading lions. :D
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Pants Man was awful.
    Cheddar cheese to the French.
    The marketing pitch for that awful CD player- Rachel dancing in her barefeet.
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No the worst was on Junior Apprentice when they decided to market a CARDBOARD CAMPING set of draws slash games table lmao

it was awful.
  • Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    The marketing pitch for that awful CD player- Rachel dancing in her barefeet.

I cringe even to this day thinking about it. In a series that's full of several years worth of cringe-inducing moments, that's the one that still sticks in my mind as the worst. Seriously, it's probably the moment that first comes to mind whenever I think about The Apprentice at all, just because of how awful it was.

And she wasn't even the one who got fired that week.
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    trollface wrote: »
    I cringe even to this day thinking about it. In a series that's full of several years worth of cringe-inducing moments, that's the one that still sticks in my mind as the worst. Seriously, it's probably the moment that first comes to mind whenever I think about The Apprentice at all, just because of how awful it was.

Also remember that awful collage she put together in the same task.

I also forgot the Pooch-pouch and this years awful beach reading accessory.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Selling organic lollipops which weren't actually organic at all! haha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rachel WAS fired that week - the week of the music she was i am sure she was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I also forgot the Pooch-pouch and this years awful beach reading accessory.

Her 'mood board'! Classic. Paul Torrisi was a nightmare but you couldn't help but feel sorry for him when she started that pitch!

Half the time the pitch is worse than the product. Mona's Pantsman pitch was truly dreadful.

And who could forget 'There are six million cat owners in the UK...' followed by 'I haven't finished yet...*pause* Now I have. Any questions?'
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member

Nargis pitch, in the Calander task, series 2, to the Execs, was just as cringeworthy, as was Rory's man-management skills, when he was Team Leader, series 3.:eek:
  • Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    Rachel WAS fired that week - the week of the music she was i am sure she was.

Was that her? I thought it was someone else who put the collage together and so got fired? Maybe I'm wrong.

Thinking about it, maybe I thought the team leader that week should have been fired because, rather than making any decisions, she seemed to become obsessed with moving the chairs around for about 4 hours.

I remember Surallen firing the person who made the collage together and citing that as the reason that that person got fired. Perhaps I'm muddling it up because I didn't think she should have been fired because of the collage, but that she should have been fired because of the taking her shoes off and dancing. "How does it make you feel?", and you can just tell that the rep wants to reply "uncomfortable".
  • Options
    CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    totalwise wrote: »
    surely business 101 is market research market research market research,, how can someone ignore a focus group...

she needs to be in a 9-5 job, not business imo

No that's business 102, business 101 is the use of repetition to make your point seem more apt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that her? I thought it was someone else who put the collage together and so got fired? Maybe I'm wrong.

Thinking about it, maybe I thought the team leader that week should have been fired because, rather than making any decisions, she seemed to become obsessed with moving the chairs around for about 4 hours.

I remember Surallen firing the person who made the collage together and citing that as the reason that that person got fired. Perhaps I'm muddling it up because I didn't think she should have been fired because of the collage, but that she should have been fired because of the taking her shoes off and dancing. "How does it make you feel?", and you can just tell that the rep wants to reply "uncomfortable".

I think Rachel was the woman who put the collage together? i might be mistaken.
  • Options
    Reggie RebelReggie Rebel Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul Callaghan thinking Katie Hopkins was a looker
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paul Callaghan thinking Katie Hopkins was a looker

Until he found out she was sleeping with someone else - so the apprentice website said. ;)