Bonnie Wright: Fame has been devalued.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree also.

You really need two definitions of the word Famous now don't you?

One for truly talented people who have achieved fame through hard work and years of practising their craft (or people who do good works etc...)
    Another for the reality tv lot and the it girls etc etc

Maybe I should call the Oxford Dictionary people and suggest it...
    Or has it been done already ? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's right but plenty of us say the same thing. The British media is mostly to blame for setting up these half-wit non-entities as 'stars.'
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    I agree also.

Emma Watson shows that despite having loads of cash at her disposal, she is still a human being, and at the same time has no airs & graces
  • yagyag Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's right but plenty of us say the same thing. The British media is mostly to blame for setting up these half-wit non-entities as 'stars.'

and we are to blame for devouring it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yag wrote: »
    and we are to blame for devouring it

Exactly.

There are hunreds and hundreds who do not pop up regularly in media and whilst they have huge fan base, not one fan chases them or their pitiful "news" , because it is not reported.

It is same old mediocre subjects over and over and over who live by press and without it and public their so called "careers" would be dead..and that includes a lot of half cocked pop stars Beckhams, Winehouse, and Hurley and Kensit and so on and on of mediocre pool.

Public does have a choice to ignore it but they do not as it is akin to gossip over the suburban fences. Fills the gaps as it were.Media would not bother if public did not guzzle it all up .
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stewing wrote: »

Public does have a choice to ignore it but they do not as it is akin to gossip over the suburban fences. Fills the gaps as it were.Media would not bother if public did not guzzle it all up .

And the constant "spin" touted by PR merchants gives their clients the exposure they demand and the PR gets a nice little earner
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stewing wrote: »
    Exactly.

There are hunreds and hundreds who do not pop up regularly in media and whilst they have huge fan base, not one fan chases them or their pitiful "news" , because it is not reported.

It is same old mediocre subjects over and over and over who live by press and without it and public their so called "careers" would be dead..and that includes a lot of half cocked pop stars Beckhams, Winehouse, and Hurley and Kensit and so on and on of mediocre pool.

That's very true and every single person who comes into showbiz forums is guilty of adding to it all. Controversy sells eh. Maybe if we all stopped, these non-entities would go away but I can't see that happening any time soon.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bonnie is right of course about the talentless celebs plastered across the media.

She was dreadful in the last Potter film though, they should have replaced her with someone who can act. I would say she's is rather lucky to have an acting career of sorts.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    I agree also.

One for truly talented people who have achieved fame through hard work and years of practising their craft (or people who do good works etc...)
    Another for the reality tv lot and the it girls etc etc

Maybe I should call the Oxford Dictionary people and suggest it...
    Or has it been done already ? :)

There is the word "celebutard" - which I think sums it up pretty well. ;)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=celebutard
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    Bonnie is right of course about the talentless celebs plastered across the media.

She was dreadful in the last Potter film though, they should have replaced her with someone who can act. I would say she's is rather lucky to have an acting career of sorts.

i thought she was pretty good to be honest
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ68 wrote: »
    i thought she was pretty good to be honest

I thought she was rather wooden and unsexy. Not a vibrant enough personality for Ginny, but that's just my opinion.
  • Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    I thought she was rather wooden and unsexy. Not a vibrant enough personality for Ginny, but that's just my opinion.

I agree. She is so boring in the films and IMO Harry is much more suited to Luna. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fame has been devalued? Shouldn't that be talent has been devalued by fame?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Emma Watson shows that despite having loads of cash at her disposal, she is still a human being, and at the same time has no airs & graces

It's just a pity Emma Watson has no talent, rather like the rest of the 'young' cast of the Harry Potter films.

Not a decent actor/actress amongst them.

And yet Watson and Radcliffe are the highest earners of the decade.

There's really something wrong there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miss_Moo wrote: »
    I agree. She is so boring in the films and IMO Harry is much more suited to Luna. :o

Nah, Luna should have ended up with Neville, but Rowling even cocked that up in the Epilogue to the Epilogue which she always insists on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's actually a funny thing about the majority of the HP kids - they already come from very rich backgrounds.
  • RelugusRelugus Posts: 12,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The media prefers the WAGs and reality stars to actual stars. Why? Because they are easier to control and they provide the media with what it wants (Jade was loved by the media for this very reason). The media quite deliberately created the WAG/Reality phenomenon to create a type of "star" more amenable to its demands.
    Serious actors, musicians, etc, are more concerned with their work than pandering to the media, and thus are not as useful.

Its not so much talent, as being famous for actually doing something.

Radcliffe and Watson, however you rate their talent, are not "famous for being famous".
    A bit of trivia: If Peter Jackson's aborted Evangelion movie had went ahead, Emma Watson would have been a shoe-in to be offered a starring role in it. That role would, if she pulled it off, have easily eclipsed her role in Harry Potter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just a pity Emma Watson has no talent, rather like the rest of the 'young' cast of the Harry Potter films.

Not a decent actor/actress amongst them.

And yet Watson and Radcliffe are the highest earners of the decade.

There's really something wrong there.

Whilst that may be the case, I'd still rather they were the ones making money and the ones we have to see in magazines and papers. I'd rather read about them than any of that moronic Big Brother brigade and low-life "zelebrity" mothers such as Katie Price and Kerry Katona.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relugus wrote: »
    The media prefers the WAGs and reality stars to actual stars. Why? Because they are easier to control and they provide the media with what it wants (Jade was loved by the media for this very reason). The media quite deliberately created the WAG/Reality phenomenon to create a type of "star" more amenable to its demands.
    Serious actors, musicians, etc, are more concerned with their work than pandering to the media, and thus are not as useful.

good post. WAGS/Realities are like junk food news - cheap and filling. They are easy and satisfying to read in 90 second bursts and fill more column inches than more difficult to write and investigate "proper" news.

I also think that the internet and the free newspapers and filled up on this junk food and we are all a little bloated but still addicted because it is an easy source of entertainment and the alternative of engaging our brains on the issues in Darfur or the indepth politics of Afghanistan can be a little too much.

I am guity as much as anyone else on this point - I try not to get sucked in but its so pervasive.....
  • SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fame and celebrity Vs Fame and Zelebrity is not a new thing at all.
    The whole zelebrity thing was predicted by Warhol and in some ways he actually encouraged the start of the zelebrity.
    In the 70s there was a show called the family,a fly on the wall documentry about an average working class family.
    They were not talented,they didnt have any special gifts to display to the world..they were just normal people who agreed to be filmed as a family,early reality tv.
    After and during the show they got recognised in the streets,people asked for autographs,stories came out in news of the world about them..zelebrities of their day.

wives of politicians,trade union leaders,etc also during the 70s and 80s became zelebrities.

The difference now is two fold.
    The media has changed,the internet creates fame for people like chris crocker,the magazines aimed at pampering to reality tv players,satellite channels in their hundreds and the cowell productions that infest our tvs with shows like x factor that encourage people to make an idiot out of themselves to get a bit of time on tv,and the agencies that promise so much to those wanting fame.

The other thing is reality tv.
    We have always had it,opportunity knocks,new faces,the family,come dancing.
    The thing is now we have the new media outlets that exist because of the reality tv shows.
    Forums for example,look at DS and see how many of its forums rely on reality tv and zelebrity.
    Heat magazine,basically a magazine to promote big brother.

If it was not for these forums like DS how many of us would know what katie price is up to every day of the week.
    As FMs contributing daily to places like showbiz and big brother or x factor forums we are all part of the reason for the rise and encouragement of fame and zelebrity.

Fame has not been devalued,its simply been encouraged by a need.
    Zelebrity has however devalued Celebrity.