Options

The iPhone leaving penalty.

2»

Comments

• Options
    toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend was at my house last night and every text she sends to me was going as imessage

I deactivated on my handset before I sold it, removed it from the support profile, she's deleted her contacts and typed them back in

I've not had an iphone since March, and she still can't text me
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    I wonder if the issues are being caused by for example, someone changing to an Android phone but keeping their iPad and forgetting to unlink the old number from the tablet?

I was wondering this, many of the US reports are people with Mac computers as well and iMessage works on iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, iPad Mini, and Mac. All would need to be turned off and back on after removing the phone number from the iMessage account.

I can't see the Support Profile having any effect.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    How strange a manufacturer is allowed wield so much power in so many ways over a device you own or even chose not to own.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Ahh!!

Now i know what caused this issue with me! I had this issue when i sold my 4S a few years ago. Got so annoying, i had to change my number.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, even I half think you might have made that up.

Yet I do recall past talk of lost SMS messages on competing devices, most blaming either the new device or the network for the fault.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toyotacity wrote: »
    My friend was at my house last night and every text she sends to me was going as imessage

I deactivated on my handset before I sold it, removed it from the support profile, she's deleted her contacts and typed them back in

I've not had an iphone since March, and she still can't text me

Try clicking on the undelivered iMessages and selecting "send as text message". From my experience, it'll learn to start sending them as text messages automatically.
  • Options
    toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Try clicking on the undelivered iMessages and selecting "send as text message". From my experience, it'll learn to start sending them as text messages automatically.

Thank you will give this a try

She does have send as sms set to On under imessage settings, but will try this suggestion too

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Apple acknowledges iMessage flaw, promises fix"

http://www.zdnet.com/apple-acknowledges-imessage-flaw-promises-fix-7000029773/

Translates to 'fair cop, gov'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    "Apple acknowledges iMessage flaw, promises fix"

http://www.zdnet.com/apple-acknowledges-imessage-flaw-promises-fix-7000029773/

Translates to 'fair cop, gov'.

Not exactly, since it states that the problem exists for people who don't disable iMessage and still have a phone number linked to an Apple ID. This problem is a fairly obvious consequence in those circumstances.

Anyway, if they make it more idiot-proof, so much the better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=64063556

And as I already pointed out, even negatives about iMessage get deleted on Wikipedia so it is made far likely you are on your own until we get to that 'fair cop gov' day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=64063556

And as I already pointed out, even negatives about iMessage get deleted on Wikipedia so it is made far likely you are on your own until we get to that 'fair cop gov' day.

Not sure why you linked to that thread, since the OP said disabling iMessage fixed the issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets hope Apple do a proper fix and expand iMessage beyond the garden.
    There is still that opportunity to become the prime ubiquitous messaging app.

And by now having 3 years to think about it, it could end up becoming a good un.
  • Options
    dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just turned off iMessage before I sold the phone. It's simple, really.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets hope Apple do a proper fix and expand iMessage beyond the garden.
    There is still that opportunity to become the prime ubiquitous messaging app.

And by now having 3 years to think about it, it could end up becoming a good un.

If there had been an iMessage for Android, I'd have kept the Nexus 4 as my primary phone instead of the secondary one. It was one of only 2 or 3 things I missed about the iPhone which were enough to pull me back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The none net neutrality thing about to cripple consumer freedom in the US likely means there is even less chance of that ever happening.

Apps that actually work like consumers want them to, such as Whatsapp, might now get crippled. Though obviously it is corporates with the big money who will get the priority and working network service.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Seems that Job's even more 'sticky' ecosystem has become a vice like death grip.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apps that actually work like consumers want them to, such as Whatsapp, might now get crippled.
    Are you sure this is a good example? Unlike some instant messaging apps, doesn't WhatsApp officially require a SIM card and doesn't officially support WiFi only devices? And doesn't it still only work on one device at a time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How it got to be so popular is a bit of a mystery. They even have their own Sim in Germany so as to maybe create more walled gardens.

So yes, there is far better put there but since when does the public go along with better? Everything ends up being different and limited in their own unique way.

It would have been fine if everyone stuck with IRC.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update - Apple let you Deregister iMessage

People getting rid of an iPhone until now faced a rather irritating problem: Apple's iMessage service assumes that all text messages to their phone number should use the over-the-top iMessage app.

Thus, messages intended for an iPhone have failed to land when folks move to rival phones – as the SMSs disappear into the bowels of Apple.

Cupertino has now recognised the problem and popped up a Deregister iMessage tool.

The web-based tool is simplicity itself: iPhone refugees just give their phone number, then punch in the transfer code provided by TXT. If you still own an iPhone, all you need to do is turn off iMessage.

The release of the tool fulfils a promise to fix the bug Apple made last May.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/10/apple_fixes_imessage_smskiller_bug/

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    California judge says Apple will face lawsuit over iMessage woes

Switching from iPhone to Android or another mobile OS means you may encounter issues receiving texts, and the issue is going to land Apple in court. US District Court Judge Lucy Koh ordered that the company face claims it failed to disclose issues that customers would face if they switched from an iPhone to another device. Plaintiff Adrienne Moore alleges that upon opting for the Galaxy S5 to replace an iPhone 4, the switch blocked the delivery of "countless" messages. Koh said the case would move forward, and Moore should get a chance to prove whether or not the disruption violated California's unfair competition regulations. If you'll recall, Apple announced a tool a few days ago to help folks deactivate iMessage when switching to a non-iOS device -- ensuring texts from iPhone users still come through.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/11/apple-imessage-lawsuit/