Options

Objects with no name

Comments

• Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marfjam wrote: »
    The computer interface for digital image devices (scanners, cameras etc.) - TWAIN. Stands for "Thing Without An Interesting Name".

nope
    it's not an acronym

it comes from Kipling's The Ballad of East and West — '...and never the twain shall meet...'
  • Options
    BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    the back of the knee.

Knee backs folk call them
  • Options
    Benry_GaleBenry_Gale Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The concept that famously has no real English name but does in other languages is 'ringing someone up on their mobile with no intention that they will answer it'. Teenagers who have to buy credit for their phones traditionally use it. "When I get near your house, I'll *call you so your phone rings but you don't pick up so it doesn't use any of my credit*. "

In Bangla there is a word meaning "affectionately angry", which I like a lot.

And in Japanese there is an expression 'mono no aware', which translates, roughly, as 'the feeling of melancholy beauty we experience in watching things fade and pass'. They use it to describe, for example, the feeling of watching cherry blossom falling from the tree, leaving the branches bare; it implies both regret and the sense that there is a new beauty in the process which may even be greater than the beauty of the tree in full bloom.
    My favourite example of foreign words we need a decent equivalent of is 'shemomedjamo', a Georgian word meaning to eat well past the point of fullness, just because the food is tasty. Another great one is the German 'neadbau', a building constructed for no other reason than to piss off the neighbours.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    The horse in America's song about riding out into the desert has no name.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    The concept that famously has no real English name but does in other languages is 'ringing someone up on their mobile with no intention that they will answer it'. Teenagers who have to buy credit for their phones traditionally use it. "When I get near your house, I'll *call you so your phone rings but you don't pick up so it doesn't use any of my credit*. "

In Bangla there is a word meaning "affectionately angry", which I like a lot.

And in Japanese there is an expression 'mono no aware', which translates, roughly, as 'the feeling of melancholy beauty we experience in watching things fade and pass'. They use it to describe, for example, the feeling of watching cherry blossom falling from the tree, leaving the branches bare; it implies both regret and the sense that there is a new beauty in the process which may even be greater than the beauty of the tree in full bloom.

I call that ringing thing Dropcall.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to QI the thing that you sit on when having a dump has no name.

Not a toilet, nor a WC, nor a lavatory............that big porcelain white thing it has no name.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any objects without a name? Or does everything have a name?

It's generally accepted that there are more species of insects yet to be discovered than there are already documented. So that's at least around 1 million different types of "objects" that don't yet have a name.
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The end of a shoelace is called the Telomere. The word was latter adopted to describe the repeating pattern of genes at the ends of the chromosomes.

The OP was talking about objects rather than concepts or emotions. With regard to the naming of objects there is usually only a short span of time for which an object has no name. The English language is very quick to adopt either an existing foreign name or make one up. In Russian and German they tend to go with joining multiple words into a new word.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    that big porcelain white thing it has no name.
    But it is not the thing I sit on. Far too chilly on the nether regions! :o
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those things you used to see in cartoons and old movies.

They operated on a rail track and you propelled itself along the track by two people standing on either side of a sea-saw type device and pushing up and down.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Those things you used to see in cartoons and old movies.

They operated on a rail track and you propelled itself along the track by two people standing on either side of a sea-saw type device and pushing up and down.

Called a "handcar".

Mine next!

What is the molded bit of plastic that contains alternating slits at 90-degree offsets that surrounds a cable or wire before it enters a plug (designed to prevent the wire flexing too much at that point) called?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cable grip?
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not a toilet, nor a WC, nor a lavatory............that big porcelain white thing it has no name.

That's the pan. Why would they say it has no name?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Cable grip?

A Google Images search for that doesn't come up with the thing I'm thinking of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member

More specifically "Cable gland cord grip":
    https://www.asi-ez.com/member/x063-Cable-Gland-Cord-Grip.asp

Bit of a mouthful! :o
  • Options
    arfcdfarfcdf Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Reading the above only bears out the assertion that stupid questions deserve stupid answers
  • Options
    xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do those metal dustbins with holes in that you see on picket lines have a name? I have always wondered that?
  • Options
    arfcdfarfcdf Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    And it continues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    arfcdf wrote: »
    And it continues.

To be fair they can't be just called to dustbins as they have holes in and the dust and rubbish would escape.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    (rough made) braziers?
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you mean the lavatory bowl?

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/lavatory-bowl

http://www.sanitec-kolo.com/subcategory/wall_hanging_toilet_bowls/010030-020030/1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (rough made) braziers?

arfcdf see!
  • Options
    BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's generally accepted that there are more species of insects yet to be discovered than there are already documented. So that's at least around 1 million different types of "objects" that don't yet have a name.

But until they're discovered do they exist?
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you twist off a bottle cap, there is a piece that remains attached bottle, does that have a name?