Does UK really need a National day

2»

Comments

• Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Not for me. Our annual leave entitlement is completely separate from bank holidays.
    But in many places it isn't and depending what is in your contract your employer could take a day if an extra bank holiday was added. That is why I hated all the propaganda from Cameron and the like when we got extra bank holidays because of the jubilee and royal wedding. Many people didn't get an extra day off!
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »
    UKIP have went on and on about this.

Singapore has one and the Canada and the Swiss.

What would a National day mean for the UK.
    Wouldn't it be an international day if it was for the UK? ;)
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Not for me. Our annual leave entitlement is completely separate from bank holidays.

Until UKIP get in, then you'll find your employment right heavily curtailed.

Wave that Union Flag during the UK Day Parade, that UKIP have given you, except you go unpaid that day.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    There was some black woman newsreader on ITV who got death threats over not wearing a poppy too.

Why is her skin colour important enough to point out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    If there was one I would purposely ignore it. and find something totally mundane to do.

We already have our national days in the four home countries.
    On St David's day many schools and village have an eisteddfod, or there's a 'cawl a chân' night. Some girls dress in the national costume.

What would we do on UK day then? Watch the royal wedding again?

Watch, in no particular order

The Royal Wedding 1981.
    The Dam Busters.
    The 1966 World Cup final (Wales, Scotland and NI must understand that they'll never achieve this, so it's really 'British').

Sing

Rule Britannia
    Pomp and Circumstance, all 6 of them.
    God Save The Queen.

Street Parties, to include
    Pork Pie
    Sandwiches (no funny foreign fillings)
    Beer
    Robinsons Barley Water
    Gin.

I hope you enjoy it all. I'll be in Spain or Italy, eating fab food and drinking lovely wine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »

Because the trolls linked her colour to her not being 'patriotic' to the UK. She was told to 'go back to where she came from if she didn't like Britain'.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »

The people sending her death threats certainly thought it was improtant enough to point out.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Nah.........it's for tinpot countries who have to shout about their existence

We don't put United Kingdom on our stamps because the world knows who we are..........we don't need a National Day. We've got History

Leave to the new countries and the military dictatorships

Like Switzerland, Canada, the Isle of Man and the USAGE?

National day is a great idea. Maybe instil a bit of patriotism.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Maybe instil a bit of patriotism.

Only if it means getting the day off otherwise most won't give a damn and lets face it why should we.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Only if it means getting the day off otherwise most won't give a damn and lets face it why should we.

UKIP will give you the day off. In fact, they'll deem it compulsory, as will your attendance be at one of the many sponsored parades taking place all over the country. You'll be expected to buy a flag and wave it when the brave boys of the armed forces march past, complete with a parade of military weapons.

Of course, UKIP have told your employer that they don't have to pay you for any absense from work, so all bank holidays are unpaid. You lose a days pay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Like Switzerland, Canada, the Isle of Man and the USAGE?

National day is a great idea. Maybe instil a bit of patriotism.

I'm Welsh. I already have a national day thanks, and actually I'm patriotic on the other 364 days too.

Surely you do something for St Piran's Day?
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    Let's say it was implemented here. What do posters think should happen to you if you didn't want to celebrate it?

Then you don't celebrate it, just like some people don't celebrate Christmas, Easter etc.

It's a non question really, holiday entitlement issues aside, but there again I'd check that before I started a new job, rather than moan about losing a days pay after the event, because of there being a new (bank) holiday.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    There was some black woman newsreader on ITV who got death threats over not wearing a poppy too.

Is the fact she's black relevant?
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I don't really see the point in nationalism..

It is an odd concept when you actually think about it, and the way countries and borders are always radically changing..

Really? When were the UK's borders radically changed last?

Even within the UK the mainland home countries' borders have been fixed for over 500 years.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Is the fact she's black relevant?

That question has already been asked.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=75584845&postcount=30
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Really? When were the UK's borders radically changed last?

Even within the UK the mainland home countries' borders have been fixed for over 500 years.

They nearly changed very starkely recently with the Scottish referendum, that should be enough to show you what can happen, and thus how pointless nationalism is.

The point may be slightly less relevant for Britain, but across the world - especially across Europe & Asia borders have changed significantly in the last 100, even 50 or 25 years.

If you take nationalism in settler colonies like Australia and The USA it's even more peculiar.

What, precisely is being celebrated there? Invasion? Genocide of the native populations?

Fundamentally, political borders across the world were drawn up by men - politicians and invaders. They mean very little.
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought of something similar after attending my first Canada Day a few months back. Then I realised we have enough bank holidays, events, etc. that celebrate our history. A UK just seems unnecessary.