Options

Writing 'Unofficial ebooks' and the law?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
Does anyone know the law on writing ebooks about things that already exist?

For example, could I write an unofficial book about, say Eastenders, and sell it? Or would there be some sort of copyright issue with this?

Just a wonder :)

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's original material it won't infringe copyright, use of registered trademarks may be a concern.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    It's all very confusing - a google search isn't really bringing much help either.

So, using the example of Eastenders, I could write a 'facts of albert square' book (Maybe?) as long a I didn't use images or logos or anything?
  • Options
    Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you would be in breach of copyright in the same way as if you lifted a copyrighted book. Copyright exists to protect the rights of the creator of the material to make a return on their work.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the purpose.

If this is fan-fiction/for fun, then you wont encounter any legal problems. They simply don't come after you. The web is full of home-made eBooks 'fan-fiction' based on everything from Doctor Who to Downton Abbey. Probably about half of it was written to fulfill sexual fantasies :D

If you're trying to make money out of it though, yeah, expect BBC Worldwide to come after you as the characters, setting, logo and the like would constitute IP I'd imagine. You'd have to change enough so that it wasn't based on Eastenders and was a generic East London setting.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all very confusing - a google search isn't really bringing much help either.

So, using the example of Eastenders, I could write a 'facts of albert square' book (Maybe?) as long a I didn't use images or logos or anything?

You can write anything which is factual, so long as you express it in different words. Writing something factual about a fiction could be a little tricky.

The main danger, though, is that anything you take your facts from may have a trap paragraph. Something which is completely untrue; if you use that 'fact' then you're in breach of copyright.

I understand the compilers of works like "Who's Who" use this technique.