Options

Android 5.0 update

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it were me I would set priority interruptions mode and just uncheck the three options - events and reminders, calls, and messages. So long as no other app has priority notification status, nothing will disturb you apart from the alarm.

However, I would have thought that most people would have a certain very small shortlist of numbers that they would want to disturb them overnight. Certainly my very close family members would be on this list; if one of them are phoning in the middle of the night then it's something worth interrupting my sleep for and not picking up that missed call until the following morning isn't something I'd really want to consider.

not for me... i don't interrupted by anything other than the wake-up alarm.
    anything urgent would come via the landline.

priority mode had events and reminders enabled by default.... which means they would they would get thru... so the clock is not classed as an event or reminder?

calls and messages are disabled by default in priority mode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slattery69 wrote: »
    No worries just trying to help, you can always go back to 4.4.4 the OTA for them all are out there

again, that is not a solution.
    that is a barely even a workaround.
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    not for me... i don't interrupted by anything other than the wake-up alarm.
    anything urgent would come via the landline.
    Fair enough. Most of my family wouldn't have my landline number stored in their phones.
    priority mode had events and reminders enabled by default.... which means they would they would get thru... so the clock is not classed as an event or reminder?
    Not in this context, no.
    calls and messages are disabled by default in priority mode.
    Which is the functionality you are aiming for, surely? No calls, no texts, no other bloops and whistles; just the alarm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is the functionality you are aiming for, surely? No calls, no texts, no other bloops and whistles; just the alarm.

yes you said disable them, i was just saying they are disabled by default in priority mode already.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Are you being deliberately obtuse? The ART in 5.0 is not the same run time that was available as a DEVELOPER option in 4.4. The run time in 5.0 will also be compatible with Davlvik as well as being built for Android.

Thank you now I know, something Id id not know before as long as you are correct.
    [quote

Why is there all this ignorance in this thread? It is like listening to a bunch of old men getting there knickers in a twist because they just don't understand the modern world. So you don't understand, we don't need to see that ignorance though.[/QUOTE]

Well if things are not explained, then we do not know,
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Well if things are not explained, then we do not know,
    Then make it up and pretend you know, that's what everyone else on DS does.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Then make it up and pretend you know, that's what everyone else on DS does.;-)

no, that's what some people do.
  • Options
    lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So has anyone received the OTA update naturally?
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried to update with this guide but failed miserably at every step.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2mgh8o/nexus_4_lollipop_ota_link_and_update_guide/

Eventually got to step 6 only to have device not found...sod it OTA it is !
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lamby wrote: »

My Nexus 10 got it OTA on Saturday, but nothing on the 5 or 7 (2013).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    No update yet, Nexus 5 UK.

Having read a few forums and searched twitter #lollipop #ota etc, i think i may of seen about 10 cases of a natural OTA update (non device specific).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just download the OTA file and update it yourself.
    it's very easy to do.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lamby wrote: »

Yes me on my Nexus 5, 4 days ago on the 13th of November
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    just download the OTA file and update it yourself.
    it's very easy to do.

Too scarey a prospect for me .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    len112 wrote: »

nothing scary about it at all.
    you're just upgrading, not wiping and re-installing.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    len112 wrote: »

For the sake of a few days I'd rather not risk bricking an out of warranty device either. We'll all get it by the end of the week on Nexus 7's I think *(wifi only)
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No guarantee that the OTA won't brick your phone either. Mind I'm waiting but just because I'm lazy.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No guarantee that the OTA won't brick your phone either. Mind I'm waiting but just because I'm lazy.

If I tweak, mod, flash, root, etc then when it breaks it's likely to be my fault. I have played around with these things for so many years that I know that from time to time it will occasionally go wrong, and you'll have to spend hours getting it sorted, if you even can recover it.

I fix things all day at work working in IT, so when you get to a certain age sometimes you just want to enjoy the tablet and I don't mind waiting a few days for the update to just arrive over the air, and if something goes wrong I can't blame myself, it is also much less likely to go wrong if I don't tweak, mod and manually update it each time.
  • Options
    lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AxeVictim wrote: »
    Tried to update with this guide but failed miserably at every step.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2mgh8o/nexus_4_lollipop_ota_link_and_update_guide/

Eventually got to step 6 only to have device not found...sod it OTA it is !

I hope you are a Nexus 4 user as the download link at the top is for the N4.
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My n5 just got it today (first time it has been switched on for a week or 2)

First impressions - horrible - Whats all this white background crap? that I cant seem to change.
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corf wrote: »

First impressions - horrible - Whats all this white background crap? that I cant seem to change.

You'd think the white background would use more battery, i assume it would rather than a dark background?
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    If I tweak, mod, flash, root, etc then when it breaks it's likely to be my fault. I have played around with these things for so many years that I know that from time to time it will occasionally go wrong, and you'll have to spend hours getting it sorted, if you even can recover it.

I fix things all day at work working in IT, so when you get to a certain age sometimes you just want to enjoy the tablet and I don't mind waiting a few days for the update to just arrive over the air, and if something goes wrong I can't blame myself, it is also much less likely to go wrong if I don't tweak, mod and manually update it each time.

Same here (I've worked in IT many years).

I'm even tempted not even to install it straight away when it's eventually available on the S5 for a a couple of weeks to make sure there are no problems with the initial release.
  • Options
    TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am on the Nexus 4 Facebook group, and everyone there is repeatedly stating that you HAVE to flash to get the best out of a new Android release, because the OTA leaves a messy, slow hybrid. I bought my phone to use, to make calls, to text and to run clean apps on, not to hack. Yes I'd like to see how Material Design works but I am happy to wait in line for the OTA.

I also don't understand the obsession with people to root their handsets within hours of getting them up and running. Surely it is safer to run apps without root privileges whenever possible. I have never rooted a handset and I do not wish to. Would be interested in getting hard facts as to the benefits of rooting, or replacing the kernel on an Android handset.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corf wrote: »

I am glad i am not the only one to not like it and I have only seen it in videos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I am glad i am not the only one to not like it and I have only seen it in videos.

at least they are basing it on actual usage though, thus opinion has value.
    you're not, thus opinion has no value.