Rabbit Advice Needed

We have 2 male rabbits (approx 6 months old). They are litter-mates. We were told they were both female, but that's a long story.

Anyway, when we found out they were male, we got them both neutered. This was just under 2 weeks ago.

Tonight, they started to fight. And, I don't mean play-fighting.. I mean proper trying-to-kill-each-other stuff.

We separated them for a bit, then thought they'd calmed down, so we put them back in the pen together. They started all over again.

One of them seems dead set on humping the other one, and this seems to be what starts the fight.

The vet told me it would take approx 4-6 weeks for the hormones to calm down, so my question is.. does anyone here have 2 males, and will my fluffy little pals be able to revert to their former ways, or will they be destined to stay apart from now on in?

At the moment, I have them in seperate pens. They are house-rabbits.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Comments

• dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one doing the humping is trying to dominate the other, and the one fighting back is objecting to this and therefore causing the fights.

Not an easy situation to be in, things may well calm down, and you have the fact they are litter mates on your side. Can you put them near eachother in their seperate pens, so they can sniff eachother but not hurt eachother.

You might just have to try putting them together again and again and seeing what happens as the hormones work their way out of the system, although im not sure the dominance thing is linked to hormones (as in it might just be part of their personality)

I hope things calm down :)
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    right now i'd say wait a while for the hormones to calm, then try re-introducing them.

not by just plonking them together, mind, do it slowly.
    have them penned up side by side where they can see & sniff each other

if there's going to be a major problem, they'll start through the mesh (i know mine do :rolleyes:)

unfortunately in the end it may not be due to hormones. the disruption in them could have been the trigger
    it sounds like the humper wants to be dominant and the humpee isn't liking the situation and unless one of them miraculously gave in, you'd have to house them separately for good
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the moment we have one in the pen and one in the cage. The whole setup is home-made from NICubes and X-Pens, so it's quite easy to customise. They spend daytime asleep in the cage, and when it's exercise time, they go out into the pen, which is attached.

So, I've closed the door to the cage, but they can still see and smell each other, but they just can't rip each other to shreds.

The ironic thing is, before they got neutered, it was the other one who humped all the time. Now the worm has turned and it's gotten ugly.

I'll try to re-introduce them each evening, but I won't be putting them in the same cage while we're in bed, cuz I dread to think what I'd wake up to tomoro.

Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it. :D

Edit to add: I'm glad I have extra food dishes, and litter trays lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I work with someone who had this happen.

They had two rabbit brothers and they always slept cuddled up together etc.

Then they were 'done' and they've fought ever since.

They're permanently seperated now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few people have told me that they won't ever bond again now that they've had a physical fight.

Sadly, I may have to consider separating them on a permanent basis. Since I don't want them to be in small enclosures, this means I'll have to house them outside. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stroppy, don;t worry too much about them being outside

if you put them out when it's warm, like in summer, they'll get used to it, then when it starts getting cooler outside they'll have built up a nice thick winter coat to keep them warm :)

you'd just need to supply them extra bedding and make sure their hutches are drought free and water proof, a bottle snug would keep the water from freezing in cold cold weather - even in cold weather they don;t have to be locked in their hutch all the time
    on a dry day they can go out side just like on any summers day
    they'd be perfectly happy
    i've always kept my buns outside any they're perfectly happy and healthy

you can always bring them inside to see you for a while on some days too, so you wouldn't miss out in them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aww thanks xdow. You don't know how much I appreciate that post. I've spent a lot of time reading the opinions of "house rabbit" people recently and I was afraid everyone would think I was a meanie for putting them outside, like I was chucking them out for being badly behaved or something lol

But, being honest, it's a practical thing. My living room is really cramped at the moment with one large cage for them, so I literally don't have room for two. Whereas I have a big garden, and I plan to put two hutches on the patio area, against the wall of the house. My husband is going to put up some fence panelling beside it just to cut down on draughts.

I ordered the hutches from zooplus earlier. They are the ones with the run underneath. They're about 4ft wide, and my buns are Polish (about the size of the Netherland Dwarf). I'm sure they'll have plenty of room in their new abodes.

I'm going to sit them side-by-side, because even though they don't wish to live together, they can still be neighbours. They'll be like Homer and Flanders... they don't like each other either! LoL

So, in all honesty, I feel they'd be happier in a 4ft hutch/run each outside, than in a 3ft single storey cage inside... and that's all I can manage at the moment. I've constructed a 6ft cage, with a divider down the middle, and I just feel like they are cramped. And, I can't allow them to free-range together, so what is the point in having them indoors. They will only be miserable. :(

I had a long chat with the kids and told them they'd have to muck in and help with the daily routine, and that they'd have to remember to go out and spend time with them too, so they know they haven't been forgotten about lol They're on board.. haha.. just now!

I do have a few questions about the outdoor living which maybe you could answer xdow. At the moment, I clean out their cage once a day.. but someone told me you only do it once per week outside. Could you tell me if that's right or not? I also have 3 black bags full of straw which were donated to me by someone who's furry friend passed away. I assume I use copious amounts of this in the hutch for insulation? Any and all advice welcome, as these are my first rabbits, so I'm fairly new to rabbit-care and extremely new to outdoor-living care.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can keep cleaning them every day if you like, its not as necessary because of course - they're not going to make your house smell!
    i'll assume they're good buns & go in one corner?

i do mine once a week, but that's due to my life style more than anything - full time student through the week, only leaves weekends to clean them out

general rule is, you can do corner cleans as often as you like, and a full clean out once a week.

but yes, the straw will keep them warm, they only need it in their sleeping areas really
    i give mine hay, as i buy it in bales and the guinea pigs can't have straw, but i basically seperate it out a bit when i take it off the bale, and fill the compartment completely (although loosely, they need to be able to move through it!)
    with that, they pat it down and burrow into it as they want that way, and there's plenty for them to curl up in

not wanting to worry you with these, just somethings to be keeping an eye on

because they're outside, there will be more access to them by insects, so keeping their enclosures clean is very important not to attract pests.
    keep a closer eye out for any lice in the fur too, my buns have never had them, but my guineas have.

cats and foxes - just make sure that their hutches are secure on a night and regularly check them for any damage

if they're wooden hutches, personally i'd re-paint them every year, not necessary but could stand to make them last longer

similarly for the roofs, if felted, one thing you could do is get an extra roll to recover the roof, leaving a draped length down the back of the hutch, covering the back wall just so that any rain water runs over this and not on your wood, it possibly insulates the hutch rear in cold weather too, but that might just be wishful thinking on my part!
    bear in mind though, this is just what i would do, though, it's not needed :)

an old matt, or some clear plastic sheeting will make a good weather guard for the front of their hutches
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brilliant. I'll definitely know who to come to for advice. It's been tricky for me, cuz I don't know anyone in my 3d life who keeps rabbits, so I kinda had nobody to ask!

I'll be putting them out by the end of the week probably. That should give them time for the fur to grow back in. By the time I managed to separate them (approximately 10 seconds), they'd managed to give each other a good going over and there was a lot of fur came out. lol... there's no flesh wounds though, so that's fortunate. And, they only got neutered 10 days ago, so it was also fortunate it didn't rip out the stitches. Ouch!

They're facing off to each other here through their fence just now lol... I think they're blaming each other for having a crappy small cage now lol

Do you think they'll be able to be in an x-pen together on the grass? As long as one of us is there too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's amazing how much fur comes off, i put one of my bucks out this afternoon, then my other jumped out on his own
    chasing them around with a sweeping brush pinning one down with it to grab him back in :o
    was like someone had shaved a cat on the grass, but once i brushed the loose clumps off them you wouldn't think anything had happened to them themselves

if they're scrapping through the wire though, i wouldn't recommend having them together
    let them see each other, but, i really would keep them separate for their own safety
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're acting aggressively toward each other through the wire just now. They can't actually bite/scratch each other, cuz of the wire, but I do think if it weren't for it, they would. People on another forum advised me to bond them again in a few weeks, but to be honest, I'm never going to feel comfortable leaving them together now. I'm always going to be scared they'll do this.

I have 2 children, and the last thing I want is for them to see that one of our pets has killed or badly injured the other. So, if I need to keep them apart, then so be it. I'll be able to sleep at night knowing they are safe. Plus, they get loads of attention from me, so they won't get lonely. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xdow wrote: »
    you can always bring them inside to see you for a while on some days too, so you wouldn't miss out in them

I would agree with bunnies being fine outside so long as they're looked after well, after all that's where all bunnies originally lived :)
    However be careful when winter comes round that that you don't bring them into a warm house and then put them back out in the cold as bunnies don't do well with sudden changes in temperature. Try to bring them in when the temperature is similar inside and outside or else wrap up well and go and spend time outside with them, rather than bring them in.
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yacht paint (can get it from hardware stores) is brilliant for waterproofing the outside of the hutches that little bit extra. Get the kids doing it! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great. I'll get some of the yacht paint. I assume ye can get it in diff colours. The kids will enjoy that. :D Thanks Dolly!

Tass - I had read somewhere that they don't cope well with sudden drops or rises in temperature. I'd say the best idea would be to spend time with them in their new habitat. There's plenty of room in our garden for us to do that. I also figured that once they're outside, the litter habits might change, so bringing them into the living room for an hour might be a messy way to spend time with them lol

It'll be good for the kids to a) get involved in painting the hutch.. and b) spend more time out in the fresh air instead of hogging the couch playing the Nintendo's lol

I'm looking forward to getting them outdoors now. They actually look really miserable in their half-size cages in here. They used to have so much more room.

I bought a huge bale of wood-shavings today, an extra water bottle and food dish.. and I have 3 big bags of straw, and plenty of hay and food, so I think we're all set. :D
  • EdwardPEdwardP Posts: 3,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those bunnies are spoilt Stroppy. There's no fair that they will be unhappy:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LoL Edward!... All the animals in my house are spoilt!

(Including my husband and kids! ;) )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awww, they deserve to be spoilt. I'd love a bunnie but my Mother is terrified of them LOL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't think anyone was afraid of bunnies! lol. Your poor mum. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's got something to do with me telling her that they would punch her with their front legs :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    haha... you're evil! lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm ashamed. Even when she goes to the pet store to get my pigs bedding and food she avoids the rabbits. I always stroke them though. I wish I'd gotten one. Do they let you cuddle them and play with them??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, mine are very affectionate toward people... just not each other. lol

Although, mine are full of beans so would rather run around than sit and cuddle. That's probably cuz of their age, and them being a small breed though. I have read that the smaller breeds are more lively than the larger ones. I think the big floppy lops like to lay around on the sofa with you but mine were always too busy looking for something to get up to.. and trying to dig their way down the back of the sofa lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds so cute. My youngest, Quincy, loves to bolt up and down my bed and popcorning. He never sits still. Jack, on the other hand, is very tame and laid back and just loves to rest on my lap/shoulder and laze around all day when he's out. It's a task to get him to run around. He does a little run and then sits down and yawns and goes to sleep on the bed. I need to get him fit because he is piling on the pounds!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine will sit head to head through the bars while I pet them, yet they go for each other when there are no bars. It's frustrating. If you didn't know different, you'd think they were bonded when you see them face-to-face at the bars.

I've only just heard of this 'popcorning' thing the piggies do. It's quite cute. I seen a video of it on youtube lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omg...Mine are the exact same. They don't mine each other through the bars, but put them together and all hell breaks loose.

Popcorning is funny. They just sqeek and jump high into the air and then bolt up and down. My fellas do it all the time. When I first got them I was terrified they were having seizures lol!