Dishonored. Who is buying this?

Comments

• GamerGirlGamerGirl Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, as a laydee gamer of 45+ I can tell you that you will still enjoy gaming for years to come. Especially when the kids have grown up and the PC & games technology keeps improving! :D

I'll be considering CoD: Black Ops 2 and MoH: Warfighter for possible additional gifts this year. Then there's Far Cry 3 to watch...... Hmmmm
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting to the end of the game now and have enjoyed it, the last few missions have really picked up. Saying that, I still think the game is being a little over rated, I'd probably give it just under the 9 mark personally. The game play has been great at times but there are a few powers I have either found pointless or over powering, I ended up not using many as the game became too easy.

I'd didn't really get how the characters are as great as the reviews seem to state either, they just didn't stand out. The loyalists didn't live up to the mystery at the start of the game, it was all bit lifeless and I found the story was as well. I didn't like the enemy chatter either as usual, that beefcake American voice is something I hate in games and doesn't match the environment so it takes me out a bit. The visuals didn't bother me too much but I'm not keen on the unreal engine, it has a washed out look imo. These seem like little things but to me that's the difference between a good and great game, there just a few things missing.

It also wasn't as new or exciting an idea as i was expecting but it did combine game styles very well, I love to be able to mix stealth and kill so I found that seamless. I did like the nod to other classic games as well, it had a Half Life 2 feel about it with the cordoned sections. Added to that feel and environments are great in this game even though I don't think the story or characters match that.

So for me its up there with the best releases of the year but doesn't really steam ahead. I'd easily recommend getting it as it is a lot of fun, it needs to be played properly though, don't get if your a run and gunner! I'd give it 8.5.

edit: - one more point about game length. after all the comments I expected this to be really short but I dont think it is. I have spent around 20 hours on it and still have a bit to finish, so it depends on a gamers style of playing I guess. if you dont take it all in or plan any attacks/stealth then it will be shorter. I'm an older gamer to so like to take it nice and slow :D
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big thing i've really liked about this game is that you dont even need a map to find your way around. The levels are absolutely enormous, but the environments are so unique it easy to know where you are. You can come into a room from a different door and recognise where you are instantly.

Re Game length: i've also spent 20+ hours playing it this weekend, and i'm near the end now i think (after the big tower level). Do do the optional objectives though, it really adds to the length. These optional aren't silly little go to A then B though, which is good.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • kaniakania Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    I bought this on the release date, and it took me a week to finish it. :o I prefer stealth game play but because I'd had a vino or two too many on the Friday night, I missed getting the ghost trophy as I'd been spotted in the first mission... arghhhh.

I'm replaying in the same style to get the trophies but also looking forward to playing it and killing everything without using special abilities! Especially since there will be more weepers with high chaos.

I was a big fan of Thief many years back, and I have to say this is quite comparable. I didn't have any problems following up the side missions, although I noticed on the Granny Rags mission you had to select it in the task page for it to show the arrow on screen.

Definitely worth a buy if you like stealth style!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I'm finding the story to be taking ages (in a good way, no complaints here) because i keep saving the game so i can dick around and cause havoc. 15 odd hours in and still just about to enter the golden cat
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bayushi wrote: »
    I'm finding the story to be taking ages (in a good way, no complaints here) because i keep saving the game so i can dick around and cause havoc. 15 odd hours in and still just about to enter the golden cat

That's how I tend to play this type of game too :D Saving, then trying out different ideas just to see what happens, then doing it 'properly' when I'm ready to progress in the game.
    That's why all the Deus Ex, Thief and other games of this ilk can last me quite a long time for a first play-through. I like to savour all the pleasure of the unknown when playing a game for the first time.

Having to resist watching Jesse Cox playing it for the moment. Love his play-throughs, especially the Skyrim series.
  • ArcticJayHArcticJayH Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished my 3rd playthrough.

Done the high chaos and low chaos playthroughs.

Got 30 achievments so far :D
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn shtty ame glitch me out of the no killing acievement. Can't be arsed doing it again gonna do the high chaos which Is turning out to be quite fun
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    High chaos is fun, but at the end, the game really lets you know what a sorry excuse for a human being you've been...lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I've been told that Dishonored has now been ordered :D so I should receive my 'surprise' present in about a week then it'll be installed on my PC as quickly as possible. Can't wait!
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    High chaos is fun, but at the end, the game really lets you know what a sorry excuse for a human being you've been...lol.

Yeah but he paid for it! Cheeky git that he was! Very cool on high chaos, story changed a lot for me too...now I need to do my glitched run through again doing high chaos has given me some ideas
    Forum Member

Yeah it was fun... rather violent tho! :eek: I'm not used to playing games like that so was a tad shocked at the trail of destruction I was leaving after finishing the game on no kills. :D

I've got about 4 trophies to get to finish the game and done about 3 complete walkthroughs as well as a couple of extra missions, so can say I've got my monies worth. Think I might trade-in though for Assassin's Creed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got it at last! Installed and now playing. It's fabulous so far. :D Just wish I could loot more places like in desk drawers and cupboards
    Forum Member
    GamerGirl wrote: »
    Got it at last! Installed and now playing. It's fabulous so far. :D Just wish I could loot more places like in desk drawers and cupboards

You greedy so & so ;) Let us know how you get on.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm trying a playthrough with 100% loot (money, runes, sakolov paintings etc)at the end of each mission. trying being the operative word as Im just on first mission and thought id searched everywhere, but still was only about 3/4 the full amount. I guess I have to pickpocket everyone as well or knock them out and loot....(I'm doing it on low chaos). so its back to the last save before I left the prison and more searching.
    I love games like this, where you can replay and try different things, some of your own invention.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    Enjoyable but the stealth is a bit redundant after the first few missions. The Tallboys are the exception unless you get above them. I found once I had the maximum rat power and a full cache of weapons and potions it was more rewarding/fun to just kill everyone rather than being stealthy as the enemy AI is really weak. Basically you can position yourself where they can't get to you (even with grenades they're useless) and after you kill one of them they all just come running to your location. I cleared whole buildings and areas just using the rats after I loudly killed the first enemy then just walked about collecting everything.
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it ended up taking a while to finish this game! so I personally didnt get the too "short" complaints. its definately a contender for game of the year, I found that I was mixing a load of playing styles seamlessly and generally found it one of the best games in this genre. it had short comings in some areas but this was just simply outweighed by the good stuff, great environments, great gameplay.
    Forum Member
    I'm trying a playthrough with 100% loot (money, runes, sakolov paintings etc)at the end of each mission. trying being the operative word as Im just on first mission and thought id searched everywhere, but still was only about 3/4 the full amount. I guess I have to pickpocket everyone as well or knock them out and loot....(I'm doing it on low chaos). so its back to the last save before I left the prison and more searching.
    I love games like this, where you can replay and try different things, some of your own invention.

On my high chaos run through, I still didn't get all the loot on the prison level, despite seeming to search everywhere and everything. I did notice in later levels there were items in locations that couldn't be reached, like under a palette.
    ritch wrote: »
    it ended up taking a while to finish this game! so I personally didnt get the too "short" complaints. its definately a contender for game of the year, I found that I was mixing a load of playing styles seamlessly and generally found it one of the best games in this genre. it had short comings in some areas but this was just simply outweighed by the good stuff, great environments, great gameplay.

Completely agree. My first go at it took just under a week as I wanted to use stealth completely. It certainly was a challenge playing it that way. Also loved the environments which I was a bit dubious at first. I thought the modern tech might spoil it, but it didn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, using only the hardest difficulty, some reloading after unfortunate deaths (mine) a great deal of trial (different methods) & error (mine again), I have managed to stretch this out to around 19 hours and I'm just getting out of The Golden Cat with masses of loot and Emily in tow. All the guards & the Madam are left snoring on the window-ledges :D
    Enjoying this game so much. I love the stealth aspects of lurking to plan my routes & attacks, then Blink to choke someone unconscious & carry them away quickly. Those trash containers are very handy ;) . Blink is a fantastic tool.
    Low chaos rating so far, but can never quite find absolutely all of the loot. Dammit!
    I don't want to finish this too quickly, but I'm already looking forward to trying some high chaos moves next time around :cool: :D
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    If anyone is still thinking about getting this, you might be interested to know that you can currently pick up the deluxe edirion for £29,99 in Game. I pickwd up a copy Monday and have been really enjoyion it so far.

I was going for a no kill play throigh right up to the point when I bumped into a guard and accidently shot him at point blank range. Whoops!
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Got the limited edition, new from Game the other day for under £22. Absolute bargain, I wonder why it is going so cheap? it hasn't been out that long has it? Anyway, really enjoying this game so far, the combat is some of the most satisfying I have played for a while. It's relegated halo 4 to the shelf, at least for now :p It reminds me a lot of deus ex.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just ordered it from Amazon, so should get it next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, 61 hours later I have finished the game after stretching it out as long as possible on a Very Hard low chaos sneak-through using zero HUD :cool:

It is a pretty good mix of Deus Ex:HR and Thief gameplay but with added Blink :D and so much fun!

Will be going back through using different tactics ;) .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    GamerGirl wrote: »
    Well, 61 hours later I have finished the game after stretching it out as long as possible on a Very Hard low chaos sneak-through using zero HUD :cool:

I played it on Hard and finished it in 16 hours without killing anybody, how did you make it last THAT long?:eek:

It was a fantastic game though!:D