Savile: Police launch fraud probe into claims.

i4ui4u Posts: 54,926
Forum Member
Jimmy Savile's niece's demand for compensation led to police fraud probe: Her own daughter says 'abuse' story is false... so how many more of the 211 claims for vast payments will police investigate?

I'm quite surprised papers are carrying this story....it seems some of the claims are unravelling and only ones benefitting are the lawyers.
There are claims by people who say they were assaulted at recordings of Top Of The Pops before it started in 1964, and others by those who describe assaults at the BBC TV Centre in London at recordings of programmes which were, in fact, filmed elsewhere.

One claimant described an assault by Savile in 1945, stating that he was a manager at a Mecca Ballroom. In 1945, Savile was 19 and a ‘Bevin boy’ miner.

The person who as a young girl introduced Savile to Duncroft School has been located and gives account of events to those who've made claims.

A lawyer acting for claimants said...
She said she ‘cannot be sure there are no fraudulent claims’, though she said she has rejected claims which seemed improbable.

She also admitted that many claimants might never receive a meaningful payment.

Its reported....
The lawyers who represent claimants will be paid between £11,000 and £16,000 for every claim they process. Under the scheme’s fixed ‘tariff’ of damages and legal fees, this means the lawyers will be paid up to ten times as much as victims.

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt there will be claims that are found to be blatant lies. There's no limit to how low some will stoop.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to recall that those of us who suggested that some of the 'victims' were nothing but bandwagon-jumpers being vilified on here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    I seem to recall that those of us who suggested that some of the 'victims' were nothing but bandwagon-jumpers being vilified on here.

I remember some who called people who were accusing Savile of sexually abusing them liars. Not some, but all of them. The people saying this very conveniently went very quiet once it had emerged that Savile had actually sexually abused them.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    No doubt there will be claims that are found to be blatant lies. There's no limit to how low some will stoop.

It was always going to be the case. These low life remorseless scrag end dregs of life nobodies really detract from the real victims of this horrible vile evil piece of scum.

I couldn't take any of his grubby tainted money by pretending these hideous acts had been perpetrated upon me. Shame upon those who have.
  • 10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was always going to be the case. These low life remorseless scrag end dregs of life nobodies really detract from the real victims of this horrible vile evil piece of scum.

I couldn't take any of his grubby tainted money by pretending these hideous acts had been perpetrated upon me. Shame upon those who have.
    That maybe so, but Saville didn't get a chance to defend the accusations in a court of law. So each individual accusation needs to be tried without the chief witness. Not an ideal situation.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

Always going to be the case but the abuse charities annoyed me by shouting all time about nos who came forward alleging abuse. It became about how many not the actual abuse carried out. Insurance companies will be investigating prior to any payment not just accepting. Insurance Company will have told police about potential fraud cases.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    No surprise there then.
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was obvious as soon as compensation was mentioned, if not sooner, there would be the scum bandwagon jumpers who would stoop that low. >:(
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tut tut tut.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just goes to show. Where there's a claim there's a blame.
    I'd probably claim I'd been had by Godzilla if there was a certain 16,000 in it.
  • SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was obvious as soon as compensation was mentioned, if not sooner, there would be the scum bandwagon jumpers who would stoop that low. >:(

That niece of his made several TV appearances and her story changed each time she told it.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was always going to happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It does show these people for what they are. Fancy making up sexual abuse stories just so you can cash in. Some out there have no morals at all.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can well believe that this has happened. Some people are desperate, unscrupulous or both. I still believe Savile was a prolific sex offender.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    I can well believe that this has happened. Some people are desperate, unscrupulous or both. I still believe Savile was a prolific sex offender.

So do I but let's remember this when we hear allegations. Not all allegations are true. Something social media seems unable to comprehend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    So do I but let's remember this when we hear allegations. Not all allegations are true. Something social media seems unable to comprehend.

Yes, I agree. Of course :)

As for social media, yep- for all I think it's a generally good thing, the downside is that speculative material without any basis in fact spreads like wildfire until it becomes a 'truth'. The old 'no smoke without fire' default. I think JS was an insidious, horrid man and evidence of his behaviour came from numerous different sources and was quite consistent across these. As mentioned, I also have little doubt that some of accusers have been trying it on, money not being the only incentive.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think anyone found to have made a false allegation for profit should be prosecuted and then named and shamed in the press. Not for Saviles reputation (not that he ahs one anymore) as we all know he did abuse many, but maybe it might put others off thinking of doing the same thing to anyone else.
  • ch958ch958 Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    why do any of these acts need to be compensated by money?
    Bad things happened to them (if they are not telling lies) but what will money do to help??
    oh i'm ok now i have 20k in the bank the nightmares have stopped
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am concerned that the generic term abuse is bandied about but we lack detail of the severity of what is alleged. Don't get me wrong all abuse is wrong but I fail to believe that adults (key) did not know that Saville had wandering hands. He traded on it on shows like TOTP.

Allegations of rape or serious sexual assault are another issue. Likewise he activities in hospitals/care homes preying on the vulnerable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    At this rate it will turn out everyone in the world was abused by him at some point. They're now investigating 12 hospital trusts, unless he was superhuman, I just don't see how he could have done it all as widepread as suggested without it coming to light much sooner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BCO1 wrote: »
    At this rate it will turn out everyone in the world was abused by him at some point. They're now investigating 12 hospital trusts, unless he was superhuman, I just don't see how he could have done it all as widepread as suggested without it coming to light much sooner.

I think it ties back to what I said about the actual abuse he committed. He wandered around 'touching folks up' for the thrill of it. Wrong - totally wrong. BUT this activity was in a period when this sort of behaviour was tolerated or shall I say a blind eye was turned. Society no longer accepts it but he was never going to change as he didn't need to. Flippin Carry On films were full of it.

I reiterate. Allegations of rape or serious sexual assault are another issue. Likewise his activities in hospitals/care homes preying on the vulnerable
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    I am concerned that the generic term abuse is bandied about but we lack detail of the severity of what is alleged. Don't get me wrong all abuse is wrong but I fail to believe that adults (key) did not know that Saville had wandering hands. He traded on it on shows like TOTP.

Allegations of rape or serious sexual assault are another issue. Likewise he activities in hospitals/care homes preying on the vulnerable.

In the 60's and 70's men with wandering hands were normal, it was abuse but nobody would have been fired for it, you would have been fired for complaining though.
    I am from the generation that watch Jim'll Fix It and everybody as children found him very, very, creepy. As an adult I see all those photos of him as an old man showing his bare chest while standing next a plaque with his name on it.

He preyed on people that would not be believed. I remember listening to one of his victims at Broadmoor, he would blatantly put his hands on them, up their skirts, into their knickers, knowing if they said anything the would be beaten and punished. He assaulted girls and boys in children's home, places where child abuse was already rampant and nobody was believed. He assaulted half unconscious patients who were unable to even cry out or defend themselves. Yet if anyone that witnessed it complained it was dismissed or it was just Jimmy Savile, it was harmless...

I am sure some have made things up but I think the police know that how he worked, through their investigations, they know that there was a pattern to his abuse. They know that these individual statements have supported each others claims. Some maybe considered minor, like having his tongue shoved down their throats, on putting his hands up your skirt. Others are rape, molestation. He used his position and his charity work to gain access to anyone he wanted. The truth needs to come out.
  • Rogue277Rogue277 Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    ch958 wrote: »
    why do any of these acts need to be compensated by money?
    Bad things happened to them (if they are not telling lies) but what will money do to help??
    oh i'm ok now i have 20k in the bank the nightmares have stopped

Maybe the money will help them pay for therapy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rogue277 wrote: »
    Maybe the money will help them pay for therapy.

NHS is paying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can be absolutely honest and say straight down the line that if he had abused me, I wouldn't want his filthy lucre. There are personal reasons for my saying this (not Savile-related). I just know that the last thing on my mind would be money. Recognition of what had happened and being believed by those who mattered would have been far more important as well as true contrition (unlikely!) from the perpetrator. I can't imagine I'm the only person who feels like this and on those grounds would speculate that there are a considerable number of Savile's victims who have not spoken up and would rather put their experience behind them or who would just confide in a few trusted people. Not everyone wants to 'jump on the bandwagon' or tell the story out of their experience. We just don't hear about them because they choose not to talk openly, which is fair enough.