Options

5yr old grandson with severe constipation

2»

Comments

• Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the helpful advice peeps :) Like I mentioned, now that he's at school I only get to see him once a week, apart from sometimes babysitting on a saturday night, so some of the suggestions are out of my hands, but mummy and daddy are very responsible and loving parents. I had a chat with my daughter in law today about it, and I'm relieved to say that both she and my son are on to the problem, she told me that she is making sure he drinks fresh apple juice every day, and he also has medication for it which I was unaware of.

I was still a bit upset about it this morning, but I'm ok now. :)

p.s. when I said large colon, I meant rectum.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously, do not give children laxatives.

Almost all children will have had such an incidence, at least it is not unusual. I am fairly sure that much of the distress is fear that it will hurt a lot, rather than real pain.

He probably won't eat a prune, but a plum would probably be as good. Any fruit would help.

Also, although I am not an expert in this, he might need a bit more fat in his diet, not necessarily lard.
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    :) thanks johnbee, I did suggest some prune juice to my daughter in law, but she seemed to think it might be a bit too severe, they do have a different fresh juice, can't remember what it was though, I seem to remember that when we were kids, we had prunes and custard quite a lot, we used to put all the stones on the side of the dish and then count them afterwards :), maybe that's why we never suffered with constipation. Like I already mentioned he does like fruit, and they always have quite a variety in the house. I've ordered some plums to come with the shopping so next time I go round I'll make sure he has one or two, but for the most part it's out of my hands as I only get to look after him once a week now that he's at school, but it will make me feel as though I'm helping.

I'm going round later with my other son, with pressies because it's his 5th birthday today !!!:D