Options

Neighbour asking to store stuff in our garage - am I being unreasonable?

AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
Forum Member
✭✭
Sorry, long post - and this is going to sound like total "First World Problems" but I'd just be interested in what others thought about it.

We got new neighbours just before Christmas and up until recently, apart from introducing ourselves etc, hadn't really spoken to or seen them much except to exchange pleasantries if we saw them out in their garden or driveway or whatever. They are a young couple and seemed pleasant enough.

Last week, I was pottering about in my garage, sorting stuff out and just really tidying the place when the husband from next door came over. So, we spoke for a bit and I was asking how they're getting on in their new house etc.
He then started having a right nosey around the garage and saying "You guys have loads of space in here! This is MUCH bigger than ours" (it is a big garage but I wouldn't say it is "MUCH" bigger than theirs).

So, the next night when I came in from work my wife told me that he'd called round asking if he could store "a few things" in our garage as they "just don't have the room in theirs". My wife didn't really know what to say so she just told him to come back later and talk to me about it. Which he did. Along with the quip "Your wife said I had to talk you - I guess we know who makes the decisions in this house!" which I didn't quite care for.
Anyway, I asked him what it was he need to store, thinking that it was maybe one or two boxes of things (which I actually wouldn't have a problem with) but no - it was 3 big boxes full of wedding presents that they hadn't gotten round to do anything with, all their Christmas decorations including the tree and a small dining table and 4 chairs. Apparantly they're getting "a lovely new dining table from DFS but don't want to throw the other one away". So this stuff was to be stored in my garage indefinitely.
I told him no, that was far too much stuff and suggested he sell it or put it into proper storage. Then he said he would pay me to store it. As if I am going to start charging neighbours to store their stuff!
He started getting pretty ratty with me and had the cheek to say "You've got the space. What else are you going to be putting in there?" to which I replied that was none of his business and that his lack of space is not my problem.

I did feel quite bad for him as I know how stressful it is trying to get a new house sorted so I went round the next night with the details of a reliable and decently priced storage company that I have used in the past only it was the wife who answered the door. She snatched the piece of paper out of my hand and gave me a very sarcastic "thanks very much".

Now, whenever we see them out on their driveway they completely blank us. It's just total petty bullshit.
Also, yesterday my wife was talking to the woman 2 doors up (the new couple's other neighbour on the other side) and she told my wife that the woman had said to her that I went "ballistic" when her husband asked if they could keep some things in our garage. Apparently me saying "No that's too much stuff" equates to going ballistic :confused:

I was actually going to offer to keep some of the stuff for them eg the boxes of wedding presents but now I am thinking why the hell should I? Their behaviour over this has been ridiculous. Totally childish.

So, thoughts? Am I being unreasonable here?

Comments

• Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have they not got a loft?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Have they not got a loft?
    No idea. I assume so since we do.
  • Options
    GPWGPW Posts: 3,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NO is the short answer.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.
    I'd do the same.
    (Especially given his remarks).
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if you were willing to store the stuff and be paid for it it'd be a minefield, stuff might get damaged etc. Not unreasonable at all to say no. Very unreasonable of your neighbour to make such a big deal of you saying no!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    Even if you were willing to store the stuff and be paid for it it'd be a minefield, stuff might get damaged etc.
    Exactly. And what about if all their stuff was still there come Christmas? They'd be trapsing in and out of our garage to get their tree and decorations. Sorry, but I can't be doing with all that.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tl;dr for the most part, but...

If it's your garage, it's in no way unreasonably to do what you darn well want with it.
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, if it all happened as you say (not saying it didn't but always mindful of one sided story's) then I say.....forget them! How rude to assume you'd be fine with storing there stuff I defiantly. I'd be to embarrassed to ask!
    My parents garage (you'd laugh if you saw it as my mums turned into almost another room of the house) is very very orderd and tidy, so there is space to easily move about. A place for everything and everything in it's place. Now someone could say they've loads of room to store extra stuff...but then it wouldn't be tidy. It would be full and cluttered. Why should you have to accept that??
    Nah they sound like right prigs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Sorry, long post - and this is going to sound like total "First World Problems" but I'd just be interested in what others thought about it.

We got new neighbours just before Christmas and up until recently, apart from introducing ourselves etc, hadn't really spoken to or seen them much except to exchange pleasantries if we saw them out in their garden or driveway or whatever. They are a young couple and seemed pleasant enough.

Last week, I was pottering about in my garage, sorting stuff out and just really tidying the place when the husband from next door came over. So, we spoke for a bit and I was asking how they're getting on in their new house etc.
    He then started having a right nosey around the garage and saying "You guys have loads of space in here! This is MUCH bigger than ours" (it is a big garage but I wouldn't say it is "MUCH" bigger than theirs).

So, the next night when I came in from work my wife told me that he'd called round asking if he could store "a few things" in our garage as they "just don't have the room in theirs". My wife didn't really know what to say so she just told him to come back later and talk to me about it. Which he did. Along with the quip "Your wife said I had to talk you - I guess we know who makes the decisions in this house!" which I didn't quite care for.
    Anyway, I asked him what it was he need to store, thinking that it was maybe one or two boxes of things (which I actually wouldn't have a problem with) but no - it was 3 big boxes full of wedding presents that they hadn't gotten round to do anything with, all their Christmas decorations including the tree and a small dining table and 4 chairs. Apparantly they're getting "a lovely new dining table from DFS but don't want to throw the other one away". So this stuff was to be stored in my garage indefinitely.
    I told him no, that was far too much stuff and suggested he sell it or put it into proper storage. Then he said he would pay me to store it. As if I am going to start charging neighbours to store their stuff!
    He started getting pretty ratty with me and had the cheek to say "You've got the space. What else are you going to be putting in there?" to which I replied that was none of his business and that his lack of space is not my problem.

I did feel quite bad for him as I know how stressful it is trying to get a new house sorted so I went round the next night with the details of a reliable and decently priced storage company that I have used in the past only it was the wife who answered the door. She snatched the piece of paper out of my hand and gave me a very sarcastic "thanks very much".

Now, whenever we see them out on their driveway they completely blank us. It's just total petty bullshit.
    Also, yesterday my wife was talking to the woman 2 doors up (the new couple's other neighbour on the other side) and she told my wife that the woman had said to her that I went "ballistic" when her husband asked if they could keep some things in our garage. Apparently me saying "No that's too much stuff" equates to going ballistic :confused:

I was actually going to offer to keep some of the stuff for them eg the boxes of wedding presents but now I am thinking why the hell should I? Their behaviour over this has been ridiculous. Totally childish.

So, thoughts? Am I being unreasonable here?

No, you're not. Cheeky sods! Sorry to say but they sound like they're going to be trouble. Just ignore and it may all blow over.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've stored stuff in our garage for other people, but only for a fixed period of times(and then one of those ran on a bit). The idea of permanently storing someone else's stuff is a no from me, you are not being unreasonable.
    Sounds like from their attitude that you are saving yourself from big problems in the situation that you did agree and their stuff or yours was damaged.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    What a bloody cheek! There are certainly some very funny people about!

If the neighbours wanted more storage space they should have bought a bigger house. Alternatively, they could rent on a commercial basis a storage unit in one of the many storage facilities that have now sprung up around the country. That's what they're for.

You have done nothing wrong and are correct in refusing their request, for reasons of giving them a right to access your property 24/7, possible problems if they were to claim that things had been damaged or had gone missing, etc. No, you don't have to go down that road.

Just say "No"! You don't owe anyone an explanation as to what you may or may not choose to do with your own property. I wouldn't be willing to discuss the matter any further.

From what you say it certainly seems you may have future problems with them. However, hopefully, it will just blow over.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,928
    Forum Member
    Your neighbours sound like right twa*s to be honest. Just don't rise to it and be comfortable in the knowledge you're better than them.

Although I suspect their attitude may be laced with an undercurrent of jealousy/resentment of some kind. Jealous of your bigger garage and resenting the fact they couldn't afford a bigger place with more space for storage.

There's usually something going on under the surface when seemingly okay neighbours act like flat-out unreasonable idiots over a particular issue. Give them a wide berth and they may soften over time.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, no and definitely no.

Don't let them store anything in your garage.

Firstly, you don't know exactly what will be in boxes (unless you intend to have a look). Secondly, you don't really know them or what they are like (they might be nut jobs). Thirdly, you have damage issues, including damp or vermin attack. Fourthly, how long is reasonable? They might just dump their crap in your garage.

I would only do this for a friend.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    Your neighbours sound like right twa*s to be honest. Just don't rise to it and be comfortable in the knowledge you're better than them.

Although I suspect their attitude may be laced with an undercurrent of jealousy/resentment of some kind. Jealous of your bigger garage and resenting the fact they couldn't afford a bigger place with more space for storage.

There's usually something going on under the surface when seemingly okay neighbours act like flat-out unreasonable idiots over a particular issue.
    Give them a wide berth and they may soften over time.

Agree with this. Neighbors are a pain. The only way to live alongside is to keep them at arms length IMO.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My god where to you live, In London most people would just tell them to F off.

I agree with you, no reason to feel bad at all, if it were a few boxes no problem, but all that stuff. I would of said no totally no matter what from the off, I do not live and work for you to store your rubbish. Maybe if I had known them for a few years.

That would be it now if I were you, would not say another word to them ever again. Because they are blanking you black list them, never never never do anything for them or get involved with them. Some of the things they said as well, no no, they can bugger off.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    I don't know how they've got the cheek to even ask in the first place to be honest! You barely know them.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with storing other peoples stuff, is that you could get lumbered indefinitely and they have up to 6 years to retrieve it, so you cant sell it or dump it, even if they don't pay you a penny. Unless of course, you draw up a tenancy agreement which stipulates time scales.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They sound really forward for approaching you and not even getting to know you first- only just moved in, FGS. You've probably done yourselves a favour because people like this are often 'users'. They start with one request and then comes another and another and another. If you give in and say 'yes', they will constantly 'up the ante'- borrowing tools that don't get returned on time or in good condition, expecting you to look after the cat/ dog every time they go away, right up to asking for 'small loans', etc. They usually give very little back and are quick to fall out if things don't go their way. Perhaps the confrontation wasn't pleasant but if they know you're not a pushover from the start, they're less likely to want to 'use' you in the future. Believe me, I speak from experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok thank you all. I suppose I just wanted a bit of reassurance that I wasn't being an old fuddy duddy about it - and to share the story as, the more I think about it, the more I can't believe the bloody cheek of them.
    I kept thinking about it afterwards to myself and wondering "Hmm, was I a bit rude to him?" but I know I wasn't. The whole thing honestly played out the way I described it in my OP. I'm sure his side of the story would be different. I most certainly didn't "go ballistic" - why would I?

We haven't even been here that long ourselves, just a few years, but have never had any issues with the neighbours, everyone is very nice.
    I just hope this pair aren't going to be troublemakers. It's suits me absolutely fine if they continue to ignore us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Unopened wedding presents? Bloody hell, bet the nice people who gave them would be chuffed to know they were going to be stored in somebody else's garage. The total neck of some people. Sounds like you might have had a lucky escape. When we were just married my aunt asked us to keep a couple of teasets for her. An aunt? I said yes of course. Turned out she had nicked them out of an old lady's house. They were antiques and worth quite a bit. The Police had been called in to the old lady's home by her family. Thank god they never discovered that we had the bloody things. They went back to said aunt with a few choice words. :blush:>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Unopened wedding presents? Bloody hell, bet the nice people who gave them would be chuffed to know they were going to be stored in somebody else's garage. The total neck of some people. Sounds like you might have had a lucky escape.
    I know. Bloody hell, everything we got when we were married was open and used straight away as we had nowt in our first flat!
    It was the dining table that I couldn't get away with. They don't even need it and have ordered a new one but want to keep the old one "just in case". Just in case what!? Bloody put it on Gumtree and at least get something for it!
    avasgranny wrote: »
    When we were just married my aunt asked us to keep a couple of teasets for her. An aunt? I said yes of course. Turned out she had nicked them out of an old lady's house. They were antiques and worth quite a bit. The Police had been called in to the old lady's home by her family. Thank god they never discovered that we had the bloody things. They went back to said aunt with a few choice words. :blush:>:(
    Haha! :D
    What did your aunt do with them afterwards?
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    The problem with storing other peoples stuff, is that you could get lumbered indefinitely and they have up to 6 years to retrieve it, so you cant sell it or dump it, even if they don't pay you a penny. Unless of course, you draw up a tenancy agreement which stipulates time scales.
    Though actually all they'd have to do is dump it back on their neighbours' drive.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Though actually all they'd have to do is dump it back on their neighbours' drive.

However, if by doing that, the items are damaged or stolen then the liability remains with the OP. It is a ridiculous legality, agreed.
  • Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe how cheeky they are. I definitely wouldn't store anybody's stuff in my garage unless it was family or close friends.

Who knows what might be in their boxes - just 'cos they say it's wedding presents - how do you know for sure.

I really think they had a complete and utter cheek. Best give them a wide birth.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »

You did the right thing. If their own garage is already full, then they sound like hoarders who could well acquire more stuff to put into your garage (and such people will never get rid of it).

But storing things for others is fraught with problems: such as needing 24/7 access, liability for loss, damage or theft. It's worse if you accept money, and their demands can become more unreasonable (and might affect your own insurance if effectively using your property to run a storage business).

And how you utilise your property is your own affair. Some people enjoy spaciousness! (For example, I like to keep my freezer no more than 3/4 full, but my friend next door likes to put her own stuff in it despite having two freezers of her own, and which often gets forgotten about. The problem is when I want to put the odd thing of my own in it, there's no room! And finding anything is a nightmare.)