Options

Mum spent £3k taxpayers' money on holiday of a lifetime - and doesn't feel guilty

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/benefits-mum-spent-3k-taxpayers-5207356
Jobless mum Kay Bird has enjoyed a £3,000 round-the-world holiday with her 10-month-old baby funded entirely by *welfare benefits.

Kay, 28, who lives *comfortably at home with her middle-class parents, has just returned with daughter Chloe from a month-long trip to Australia, Bali, Indonesia, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Dubai, Turkey, Greece and the Netherlands.

And the single mum, who gets more than £8,500 a year in child benefit, *income support and tax credit, is already planning another luxury trip to New Zealand.

Kay confesses she could work but chooses not to because she wants to wait until Chloe is older, reports the Sunday People.

And she says she doesn’t really need the benefits – equivalent to over £700 a month – because her mum Jill, a shop manageress, and stepdad Bob, a lawyer, pay for everything.

This is one of the aspects of the benefit system that need reforming. Better, and more sensible, means testing to prevent situations like this.

I'm obviously not saying she should be denied any assistance, but it should certainly be taken in to account that her parents are fairly affluent and that she's still living with them.

Things like this, as well as means testing the more wealthy pensioners who receive the cold weather payments when they clearly don't need it would likely save a lot more money than you'd probably expect.

Comments

• Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    List what you spend your benefits on in a year and we'll judge whether we think you should have.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benefits are meant to be spend on essentials.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    She gets 8500 a year and she only spent 3k on the holiday. I'm not saying it isn't wrong but she didn't choose to be paid that money, she just accepted what she was given and there is absolutely no rule book that says "this money must be spent on X".
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would it have been OK if she paid her parents for her and the baby's keep and they paid for the holiday?
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/benefits-mum-spent-3k-taxpayers-5207356

This is one of the aspects of the benefit system that need reforming. Better, and more sensible, means testing to prevent situations like this.

I'm obviously not saying she should be denied any assistance, but it should certainly be taken in to account that her parents are fairly affluent and that she's still living with them.

Things like this, as well as means testing the more wealthy pensioners who receive the cold weather payments when they clearly don't need it would likely save a lot more money than you'd probably expect.

How can she be getting tax credits if she's not working?
    Sounds like the story is mostly bollocks to me.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that surprises me is that you can go that far for £3k - we spent more than that for a week in the Scillies.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Benefits are not a lifestyle choice ..
    She is putting up a virtual two fingers up at hard working people, who work their guts out and still have difficulty making ends meet.
    Her indulgent parents have done her no favours.
    They should make her work out a budget, and insist on a fair proportion going towards her and her baby's keep.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She gets 8500 a year and she only spent 3k on the holiday. I'm not saying it isn't wrong but she didn't choose to be paid that money, she just accepted what she was given and there is absolutely no rule book that says "this money must be spent on X".

She said she could work if she wanted to, so YES she did choose to be paid that money.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An income of £8500 a year is not much at all. If she is able to save enough to go on holiday out of that, then fair enough!
  • Options
    James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    The thing that surprises me is that you can go that far for £3k - we spent more than that for a week in the Scillies.

Just about to post the same thing. Spent just shy of £3k for a week in Iceland. Something's amiss.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her parents put money towards the holiday as well.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Tellystar wrote: »
    She said she could work if she wanted to, so YES she did choose to be paid that money.

No no, I mean that she didn't get to judge if she was deserving of any welfare and she didn't get to set the amount given to her.

If the government handed you 50k in tomorrow you wouldn't question why you'd be too busy spending it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    An income of £8500 a year is not much at all. If she is able to save enough to go on holiday out of that, then fair enough!

Save? - it's pocket money.
    Her parents keep her and baby.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

£3K for a week in the UK :o I'd have to try very very hard to spend that. In fact I think the only way I could would be to burn £50 notes on the last night.

When we go on a UK holiday I'd guess we spend around £700 total. About £300 on a cottage, then the rest is fuel and spends.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    £3K for a week in the UK :o I'd have to try very very hard to spend that. In fact I think the only way I could would be to burn £50 notes on the last night.

When we go on a UK holiday I'd guess we spend around £700 total. About £300 on a cottage, then the rest is fuel and spends.

Tresco is expensive - but worth it.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James_May wrote: »
    Just about to post the same thing. Spent just shy of £3k for a week in Iceland. Something's amiss.

I agree. We're paying almost that for a fortnight self catering in Greece and that's before we add on any spending money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Welcome to the B-side to Cameron's Britain.

Or the A-Side in the case of Miliband's version.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In 2007 I spent £900 for 28 days in Australia, stayed at both relatives places and a backpackers hostel. I had a cheque for £4000 sent to me from the DWP as they had underpaid me for about 2 years and that the money was mine to do with what I wanted. I then wrote them a letter seeking permission to go abroad out of the EU for that period of time, and they said that there was no problem in doing that as I was keeping within the rules of claiming benefits and that there would be no suspension as the money was what they said they owed me.

Yes someone that I used to know tried reporting me to the fraud department, but once the compliance officer visited my home & I showed him all the paperwork, he said that his time had been wasted as no fraud had taken place.

I haven't been abroad since 2009 due to being on benefits, but I look set to be going to Izmir with my Dad for a week at the end of March, yes I am still on benefits, but the holiday itself isn't costing me anything as it is a treat from my Dad, he is now retired and gets some healthy private pensions each month, so decided to go on his first trip abroad since the 90's & he invited me to go with him, all I need to take is money for food & spending money. If the anti benefits peeps don't like that, then they can stick their opinions where the sun doesn't shine.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Don't blame her for taking advantage of the system - blame the politicians who created the system.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can she be getting tax credits if she's not working?
    Sounds like the story is mostly bollocks to me.

Child tax credits are paid to umemployed too.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Typical bashing from the media sadly
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As with smoking, I don't care what people spend their benefit money on. It's her money, she's entitled to spend it on what she wants.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I don't blame her for travelling, but her parents are doing her no favours, allowing her and her child to live rent and board free. She'll never appreciate the value of money, from what I can see. If that was me, in my late 20's with a child, and no job, I don't think my parents would have been able to afford to pay for everything me and my child.

So maybe I'm just jealous...
  • Options
    ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't blame her for travelling, but her parents are doing her no favours, allowing her and her child to live rent and board free. She'll never appreciate the value of money, from what I can see. If that was me, in my late 20's with a child, and no job, I don't think my parents would have been able to afford to pay for everything me and my child.

So maybe I'm just jealous...

It's kind of insulting to me when I have to pay just over £400 a month rent! :mad:
  • Options
    David_Flanagan1David_Flanagan1 Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    And yet still people bemoan having to do 2 weeks work program. I suppose it must get in the way of the foreign holiday.