Extremely long job interviews

Comments

• SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    You've said it's a full days interview, you'll be working with a Sales Team and you have to bring a coat - it's not door to door sales is it?
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    You've said it's a full days interview, you'll be working with a Sales Team and you have to bring a coat - it's not door to door sales is it?

No, it's not door to door. The coat thing has thrown me off :confused: As a whole day, surely we can't be cooped up in the same room for 9 hours, so maybe it's to so something else.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they have separate buildings? The coat is probably for when you walk between buildings. Or if the company has more than one site, they may transport you somewhere else during the day. I really can't see it being some kind of outdoor assault course.

I think the Friday evening part will be a social thing - maybe drinks down the pub after an afternoon in the office sizing you up. That's why it ends so late.
  • panixspanixs Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck today salv hope everything goes ok for you.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »

It does sound like the sort of scam where they get the "candidates" to do a shift of door to door sales for free.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,165
    Forum Member
    scottl wrote: »
    Don't forget that in a team there are roles other than team leader

http://belbin.improvingteams.com/using-the-nine-belbin-team-roles-for-team-development/

And I'd google "group interview experiences" (maybe a bit obvious) - just to get a feel :)

Yes we looked at the Belbin principles at my place, quite interesting.
    Salv* wrote: »
    Thanks for this. Got me scared at the presentation bit...please no! I hate when stuff like that is sprung on me! Scary.

I think you should be prepared for it. It is a very good way to assess how people perform under pressure. Whilst it's not great for the candidate the interviewer can test a number of areas.
    davidmcn wrote: »
    It does sound like the sort of scam where they get the "candidates" to do a shift of door to door sales for free.

I remember getting conned into this in my early job hunting days, I just turned round and went home when I realised what they were asking, not my scene at all.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Do they have separate buildings? The coat is probably for when you walk between buildings.
    No, it's an elimination cue.
    "You, you and you - get your coats".
    :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to all! Will post here tonight with the experience!
  • panixspanixs Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coincidentally we had an assessment centre in our office that started at 12 today. It wasnt in london by Liverpool Street station was it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    panixs wrote: »
    Coincidentally we had an assessment centre in our office that started at 12 today. It wasnt in london by Liverpool Street station was it?

Does it end at 9pm?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, I wasn't there panixs :p

So, I got the job :)

It was fun actually. The staff members were so polite! There was only 2 "new people" in, myself and someone else, and we were assigned to a team leader. I ended up getting someone who is friends with a lot of my friends. He took me out at around 1pm, and took me to lunch. Then after, we did a couple of hours of door to door sales. We then returned, stayed in the office parts and did a little more sales/marketing... and shockingly, a lot of fun too! Then we headed back for another few hours for a bit more door to door. To be fair, I wasn't a fan of door to door, but the commission rate is extremely high, and when I heard how much we can get per month, I was like a dog being thrown a bone!

Most importantly, the atmosphere was fantastic, the MDs was also really really nice too, having a lot of fun. There was a lot of fun competition going on in the office, and there are prizes for what you achieve. eg. do this and you'll get a spa day, do this and you'll get an all paid for meal in one of the best restaurants in London etc..

The shifts usually are 11am-9pm so in theory it's a bit strange, but for the first hour-ish is basically planning what your doing today and a warm up... a few chants, positivity, getting you in high spirits etc...

At the end, after my team leader was testing me during the day, I was given a test where you needed to get 90% correct. I passed.

I think it's the people which usually make a job and everyone was so friendly and willing to help. I start Monday even though that's only for 3 hrs for training/discussion of payments and info on the company.
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's the people which usually make a job and everyone was so friendly and willing to help. I start Monday even though that's only for 3 hrs for training/discussion of payments and info on the company.

Congratulations!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, that was sneaky. They haven't even specified this at all.... but I just found out that it is a commission only job. :(

This is bad. It's fair for those who have been in the field for a long time, but for someone who hasn't done it before. What if I don't get any sales in the first month... £0. Throughout the day, nothing of that sort was said.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that was sneaky. They haven't even specified this at all.... but I just found out that it is a commission only job. :(

This is bad. It's fair for those who have been in the field for a long time, but for someone who hasn't done it before. What if I don't get any sales in the first month... £0. Throughout the day, nothing of that sort was said.

It explains why the commission rate is so high. Do you get good leads to follow up, or are you just knocking on every door?

Would you move onto a salary after a period of time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    It explains why the commission rate is so high. Do you get good leads to follow up, or are you just knocking on every door?

Would you move onto a salary after a period of time?

Yes, I was wondering it was so high. If the rate was so high with a basic salary also I'd probably be getting £3k a week!

They give us a different area every day to knock on. I'll send you a PM on the link if you don't mind.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You need to check your contract very carefully. If you are being employed by the company then "Commission only" jobs are still subject to minimum wage rules. If you are being classed as self employed then minimum wage doesn't apply.

Anyway, If you made no sales in a whole month you'll probably find your self fired.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I was wondering it was so high. If the rate was so high with a basic salary also I'd probably be getting £3k a week!

They give us a different area every day to knock on. I'll send you a PM on the link if you don't mind.

Cold calling. Sorry to be cynical but Good luck..........

What product are you selling ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    You need to check your contract very carefully. If you are being employed by the company then "Commission only" jobs are still subject to minimum wage rules. If you are being classed as self employed then minimum wage doesn't apply.

Anyway, If you made no sales in a whole month you'll probably find your self fired.

I probably would find myself fired, but lets say if I make 2 sales across the first 4 weeks... I get £100 for the first month... after 1000 hours worked.

It says "self employed", so I'm guessing it doesn't apply.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I probably would find myself fired, but lets say if I make 2 sales across the first 4 weeks... I get £100 for the first month... after 1000 hours worked.

It says "self employed", so I'm guessing it doesn't apply.

1000 hours in a month? Wow... I thought I worked long hours :)

It's up to you whether you accept the job but you need to do some thinking about whether it is right for you. I know people on these sorts of contracts and they love it but you need to be highly motivated and have a very thick skins. Being told to bugger off 100 times a day and not make any money isn't easy to cope with
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The job doesn't sound that appealing - cold sales are notoriously difficult and you say you have no experience. It's not anywhere near a graduate job. Would it be better to keep looking?

Even working part-time in a supermarket while you keep looking might be a better deal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    1000 hours in a month? Wow... I thought I worked long hours :)

It's up to you whether you accept the job but you need to do some thinking about whether it is right for you. I know people on these sorts of contracts and they love it but you need to be highly motivated and have a very thick skins. Being told to bugger off 100 times a day and not make any money isn't easy to cope with

Everyone was there LOVED working there, and I have to say that the atmosphere was fantastic in there. That's a huge plus.

And I agree with the rest of what you said. 50 hours a week with potentially nothing in return is something that I can't get out of my head. It's fantastic for brilliant sales people, if I make 10 a day for example, I'd get £500 in a day. But who on entry level does that? Probably not many.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the big question. How do I turn down a job offer? I've never done it before. What do I say? How do I say it?
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the big question. How do I turn down a job offer? I've never done it before. What do I say? How do I say it?

Just get in touch and say thank you for the opportunity but that on reflection you would prefer a job with a salary!

You may want to give it a go for the experience, if you think that this particular experience will be any good for you in the long term. You said that everyone you met seemed to enjoy the job, so perhaps you would as well.

It certainly doesn't seem as though they need graduates, but probably think that they will be more articulate than the basic work-force.
  • SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Just ring them up and tell them you don't want the job and thank them for their time.

Anything that involves door to door and commission only is a waste of time. Go and get yourself a proper job that will pay you a regular amount. Sign up with all the agencies and go for a bog standard admin or warehouse job so that you can have some money coming in whilst you are looking for the job that you really want.