How was this magic trick done?

a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How was this magic trick done?
watch it all then tell me how the final part was done with the $50 reveal.

http://goo.gl/gBv8OR

Comments

• mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    Video's been blocked.
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah its blocked.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't a real duck.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was obviously tucked into his left sock the whole time.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magic.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    It was obviously tucked into his left sock the whole time.
    He was naked!
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their patter is atrocious.
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are meaning the note trick then there is a pretty obvious switch when he takes the tree twig to the judges desk.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first trick? I think the subject was planted there as she picked an object that would fit in the thermos.
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, but I have a tool that she could make disappear into her box.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skyclad wrote: »
    Their patter is atrocious.
    Sickeningly fawning. Made me want to throw up.

All audience "volunteers" are part of the act. Blaines "Street Magic" make this pair archaic amateurs.
  • a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyclad wrote: »
    If you are meaning the note trick then there is a pretty obvious switch when he takes the tree twig to the judges desk.

it is how the signed $50 bill appeared in the bolt that was on the table in front of judges all the time. i saw no switch or how it was done at all.
    obviously it was slite of hand when the bill was ripped up but its how it got from there to inside the bolt thats the mystery
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a01020304 wrote: »
    it is how the signed $50 bill appeared in the bolt that was on the table in front of judges all the time. i saw no switch or how it was done at all.
    obviously it was slite of hand when the bill was ripped up but its how it got from there to inside the bolt thats the mystery

Yeah the only time they could have done a switch was when he took the tree up to the table and there does seem to be two actions while he's stood there.. one placing the tree which had Teller's attention and his left hand did something too but it's not clear what he was doing. And how did he get the note into the second bolt. I watched his hands during the box sequence and can't see when he could have done it. But the box is probably important to the trick as it seems to serve no real purpose other than present them a chance to re-visit the table.

Obviously the stooge theory would make it very easy so let's hope it wasn't that. I think the way he directed the first lady to pick the tools and item was suggestion.. I picked the same in my head.

Good trick.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While you are struggling with this 'I cannot see how on earth they did X' thing, always bear two things in mind...

1. It's a tv show. Therefore camera angles, camera edits and all sorts of manipulation are possible, therefore knowing that alone you have to consider the possibility that you are not seeing what you think you are seeing - you are seeing what they want you to see.

2. A lot of magicians will set things up beforehand, put various items in place etc...and then it is just a question of manipulating the scenario via the usual distraction/sleight-of-hand/misdirection/suggestion techniques...

And the illusion is complete.
  • a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While you are struggling with this 'I cannot see how on earth they did X' thing, always bear two things in mind...

1. It's a tv show. Therefore camera angles, camera edits and all sorts of manipulation are possible, therefore knowing that alone you have to consider the possibility that you are not seeing what you think you are seeing - you are seeing what they want you to see.

2. A lot of magicians will set things up beforehand, put various items in place etc...and then it is just a question of manipulating the scenario via the usual distraction/sleight-of-hand/misdirection/suggestion techniques...

And the illusion is complete.

the point of the show is nothing is set up, no camera tricks and they given a set time from knowing what the objects they have to use and to create a trick.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a01020304 wrote: »
    the point of the show is nothing is set up, no camera tricks and they given a set time from knowing what the objects they have to use and to create a trick.

And you believe that?
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    The woman who signed the dollar was part of the act (she'd already signed one previously). That's all I can think of, anyway.
  • QuofanQuofan Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    The woman who signed the dollar was part of the act (she'd already signed one previously). That's all I can think of, anyway.

That was my thought. She was a stooge and had already signed a note that had been put in the bolt beforehand. Conveniently, no other way of verifying the note was the same one was made e.g. confirming the serial number of the note, so it looked, to the audience/viewer, that it was the same $50 bill.
    The bolt coming out of the flask and then the coffee is easy as it was a fake flask that had two compartments and an invisible click of a button on the flask, when he picked it up, moved it from holding the bolt to pouring coffee.

Neil
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can somebody tell me how Dynamo does that trick where he turned the water fountain into ice just by touching it?
    He did it to a woman's bottle of water first - I can almost see how he did that by maybe slipping something into the water to make it freeze when he shook the bottle.
    But what about the fountain? He did it in front of s crowd of people who all looked totally dumbfounded after it. I remember watching it thinking that certain camera shots of it looked a bit...'funny' as if it was all edited later on rather than happening in one straight shot.
    So, is that all an illusion like that comes down to? Editing to make it look 'magic'?
    What about the crowd's reaction? Are they all actors?

Here's the video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hFyqlJekMxI
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me how Dynamo does that trick where he turned the water fountain into ice just by touching it?
    He did it to a woman's bottle of water first - I can almost see how he did that by maybe slipping something into the water to make it freeze when he shook the bottle.
    But what about the fountain? He did it in front of s crowd of people who all looked totally dumbfounded after it. I remember watching it thinking that certain camera shots of it looked a bit...'funny' as if it was all edited later on rather than happening in one straight shot.
    So, is that all an illusion like that comes down to? Editing to make it look 'magic'?
    What about the crowd's reaction? Are they all actors?

Here's the video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hFyqlJekMxI

There are some good theories in the comments under the video..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt they could do the tricks without a plant or stooge. The thermos in the video was pre-set there before the act.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok im quite knowledgeable on magic ,30 years of knowledge lol,the bolt in thermos flask was always inside the person who selected bolt was "forced" the choice that all I'll say. The rest is just presentation,rather lame presentation but I digress.

The bill trick ,so far as I can see, can only be explained by stooge.
    Forum Member
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Ok im quite knowledgeable on magic ,30 years of knowledge lol,the bolt in thermos flask was always inside the person who selected bolt was "forced" the choice that all I'll say. The rest is just presentation,rather lame presentation but I digress.

That's a new trick in itself!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »

Yep it was in the thermos all along. What do you mean by forced choice, though. It was either set up with her in advance or not, I'd say in advance.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a new trick in itself!

Haha I dont know what happened there! Teach me to read my posts back.
    Camera angle makes it difficult to see ,but there is no reason to approach table with a twig so therefore it is important,and why the large box? Stands out like a sore thumb. I assume the box was used as a cover to switch bolts. I hate assuming stooges so that's my theory.