Options

Come Fly With Me - BBC1 10pm

Comments

• Options
    HeadancerHeadancer Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    Its NOTHING to do with race , its just SHIT !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was funny.

Maybe your taking it a little bit seriously?
  • Options
    tvstudiestvstudies Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly!

So is Reece Shearsmith a 'racist' for playing Papa Lazarou in League of Gentleman?
    NO!
    Because the character is over-exaggerated and people who can take a joke see it for what it is

Ahh, but there is an irony to that (and a context) - and in any case, it's done from a strictly bizarre and surreal background to it. Papa Lazarou is a darkly comic grotesque. Are you saying that Japanese people, or fat black women are grotesque too, or people with mental illnesses or in wheelchairs? Be careful with that one.

This is trying to ape those real life airport type shows, but it's not actually doing any over-exaggerating whatsoever because Walliams/Lucas are being so damn lazy - it's just having a go at sections of society or races with no purpose whatsoever. It's like giving them a big box full of costumes and saying "take the piss out of whoever you want, just not the Muslims."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvstudies wrote: »
    There is no context or irony - what context or irony was there with the two Japanese stereotypes? Nothing.

As for Manning, he had a go at EVERYONE, but knew his limits - no jokes about the disabled or those who cannot answer back. We've had series after series of Little Britain taking the piss out of the disabled or the mentally ill, where is the 'irony' in that? They are lazy comics, 30 years too late.

There is no honesty about this, and the 'irony' tag doesn't count on this.

The clunes fans to me aren't racist. Just an observation on the oddness of how obsessed Japanese fans can be and the celebrities they chose to obsess over.

I can't help feeling if someone Japanese did a sketch depicting UK fans in the same stereotypical way, no one English would bat an eyelid. For some reason though we have a lot of people in this country who seem to enjoy getting offended on other race's behalfs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orion wrote: »
    How do you know that none of the characters were Muslim? For all we know, several of them could have been. Anyway, Four Lions made fun of Muslim characters.

Four Lions is a brilliant movie. Comparing Chris Morris to Walliams and Lucas is like comparing Shakespeare to Janet and John.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know that none of the characters were Muslim? For all we know, several of them could have been. Anyway, Four Lions made fun of Muslim characters.

Yes and Four Lions was fantastic as it was done in a mockumentary style and it didn't take itself seriously

Some people need to stop taking things so serious and just enjoy things for what they are
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    It was 80% unfunny for me, with some good spots.

I liked the husband and wife pilots - i can see that being a good running gag.

The idiot who didn't bring his passport was funny as well. It was at that point I realized this was not another Little Britain, but really a direct spoof of Airline/Airport

I'll probably keep watching
  • Options
    HeadancerHeadancer Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    How do these two gits get BBC money to comission such shit !

Just watched a 20 yr old repeat of Blackadder

100 times funnier, sharp writing , etc etc etc

Guys you are washed up......please F.O. ASAP !!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crowby1 wrote: »
    The clunes fans to me aren't racist. Just an observation on the oddness of how obsessed Japanese fans can be and the celebrities they chose to obsess over.

I can't help feeling if someone Japanese did a sketch depicting UK fans in same stereotypical way, no one English would bat an eyelid. For some reason though we have a lot of people in this country who seem to enjoy getting offended on other race's behalfs.

If it was an observation why did they go down that stereotyped root of going ah so and the other grunts that a stereotypically associated with the Japanese? It's because it's not "brilliantly observed comedy" that the likes of Ben Elton will say to his friends, but lazy and insecure writing from two Egos.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt because they would be scared of a Fatwa.
    Dave Spikey does a good joke about that and it's true. They will have a go at everyone else but not Muslims. Because they will answer back.

I bet you got a little rush of exceitement writing that, didnt you?
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first episode was hit and miss but there was some funny moments. I liked Moses telling the lady her dog was dead by the window was funny and when the old lady basically swindled him.

I wonder which characters will be recurring?
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was funny.

Maybe your taking it a little bit seriously?

I often look on here after watching programs and notice that people post here only to stir the pot, then others jump on the bandwagon... and before you know it... the bandwagon is rolling and Songs of Praise is a crime against humanity. I wonder how long I will carry on looking here for opinions. Even kiddy-tots on Twitter offer better reviews of programs in limited characters than most do on here. Oh well... Merry remaining 80 minutes of Christmas... and a happy new bandwagon :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh, but there is an irony to that (and a context) - and in any case, it's done from a strictly bizarre and surreal background to it. Papa Lazarou is a darkly comic grotesque. Are you saying that Japanese people, or fat black women are grotesque too, or people with mental illnesses or in wheelchairs? Be careful with that one.

This is trying to ape those real life airport type shows, but it's not actually doing any over-exaggerating whatsoever because Walliams/Lucas are being so damn lazy - it's just having a go at sections of society or races with no purpose whatsoever. It's like giving them a big box full of costumes and saying "take the piss out of whoever you want, just not the Muslims."

You're coming across as a real serious 50s fuddy duddy

Its christmas
    Eat some mince pies and stop taking everything so serious
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes and Four Lions was fantastic as it was done in a mockumentary style and it didn't take itself seriously

Some people need to stop taking things so serious and just enjoy things for what they are

Actually Four Lions DID take itself seriously because it was well researched, well made and well produced - three things that this bucket of excrement couldn't dream to be. In Four Lions, You actually cared for the Muslim characters - all of them - and winced at their mistakes. And the Polices, and basically everyones. A real comedy of errors.
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    When they play White characters or men, is that racist and sexist to whites and men? If not, why the difference if they play other races or women?

No it isn't and I do not see it as such. All of their characters are stereotypes, or exaggerations of stereotypes. I do think it is rather lazy and certainly early Little Britain tended to avoid this.

I can understand why some people would see it as such though. I watched the stereotypical West Indian religious type with a mix of horror and incredulity. A blatant stereotype.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the 'fans' said Martin Keown not Clunes at first which would have been even stranger.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet you got a little rush of exceitement writing that, didnt you?

Oh I'm wrong of course, and Walliams and Lucas are comic geniuses. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I wonder which characters will be recurring?

The ones on the opening titles
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually Four Lions DID take itself seriously because it was well researched, well made and well produced - three things that this bucket of excrement couldn't dream to be. In Four Lions, You actually cared for the Muslim characters - all of them - and winced at their mistakes. And the Polices, and basically everyones. A real comedy of errors.

What i'm saying is its over-exaggerated

You'll twist my words of course but oh well
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "You get me" 100x is going to get very annoying over 6 weeks!
  • Options
    The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    I didn't think that was too bad. Certainly better than Little Britain USA.

Phazer
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I'm wrong of course, and Walliams and Lucas are comic geniuses. :rolleyes:

Did you giggle like a schoolgirl when those nasty cartoonists got death threats too? Thatll show em not to mess!

Oh and heres a little :rolleyes: right back at you.

:)
  • Options
    M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    Exactly!

So is Reece Shearsmith a 'racist' for playing Papa Lazarou in League of Gentleman?
    NO!
    Because the character is over-exaggerated and people who can take a joke see it for what it is

Agreed but what race was Papa Lazarou supposedly stereotyping? None.
    The characters here are very definite where they are from.

Whether it is racist to portray them though is a different matter.
    Is it ageist to play an old woman?
    Is it homophobic to play the gay characters?
    Is it sexist for a man to play a woman?

Because everyone is being played by the two main performers I don't think you can say specifically it is racist.

It may be unfunny but you can't say it is racist
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "You get me" 100x is going to get very annoying over 6 weeks!

You can take 6 weeks of it without taking a razorblade to your wrists?
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member

Four Lions was terrific. It did not resort to lazy stereotyping like this did and, you are right, you did care for the characters as misguided as they were.

I was interested to read that Riz Ahmed actually sent the script to Moazzam Begg to ask his opinion on it and if it was offensive to Muslims before he would do it.