Options

Young character's prospects on soaps

Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just thinking about some of the representations of young people in the big 3 soaps. Corrie's Jenna (yes I classify her as young) highly qualified demoted to working in a cafe. Katy is she going to educate herself (p/t). I know she has a baby but this is possible with her extended family. Todd- he's educated what's he doing? EE's is a bit better with Lola trying to make something of her life and maybe Peter has a point about qualifications. The Beale kids are aspirational. Abi will go to uni. Tamwar - what's he doing? Emmerdale can't think of any current youngsters that are applicable. Belle and Sean are a bit young still.

I know this is fiction and a degree of the young characters need to exist on the main sets but still let's have some characters working away from the Square/Street/Farm and having some goals.

Are the other soaps better in their depictions?

Comments

• Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,316
    Forum Member
    Currently, most of the ee youngsters seem quite ambitious

Abi - Studying to be a Vet
    Johnny- Studying to be a lawyer
    Lucy - Wants to run her own businesses
    Lauren - Art student (sometimes)
    Whitney - Career in child card
    Nancy - Had hopes of being in the army, but her epilepsy prevented this
    Tamwar - Sticks 10p in a jar each week so he can go to uni instead of getting a loan
    Jay and Dexter - Both apprentice mechanics

Peter Beale seems quite a hardworker with the veg stall and even Fatboy has ambitions, with him being a DJ.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »

Tamwar - Sticks 10p in a jar each week so he can go to uni instead of getting a loan

Peter Beale seems quite a hardworker with the veg stall and even Fatboy has ambitions, with him being a DJ.

BIB: :D Very true.

I do wonder if Johnny will eventually (once he's qualified) become involved with the Mitchells - they always need a lawyer!!!!
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,316
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »

I do wonder if Johnny will eventually (once he's qualified) become involved with the Mitchells - they always need a lawyer!!!!

Johnny should get himself a psychiatrist boyfriend, the two of them would become the richest couple in walford as most people need either legal help/therapy or both.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Johnny should get himself a psychiatrist boyfriend, the two of them would become the richest couple in walford as most people need either legal help/therapy or both.

Yeh! They could both get practices in Walford so wouldn't have to go far for work :D
  • Options
    HugoLottHugoLott Posts: 168
    Forum Member

I'm just imagining Whitney in a nursery full of children made out of card xD
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HugoLott wrote: »
    I'm just imagining Whitney in a nursery full of children made out of card xD

She can fob the actual children off to Ronnie, nice little second income for her :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The youngsters are all fine at the moment - well, they've all got jobs at least.

Although not too young, Lee and Dean will be the ones to watch next to see what they do. Lee would no longer be in the army, where will he work? If Dean actually was working in a bar in Australia, I assume he'll work in Sharon's new bar?
  • Options
    popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could someone explain what ambition Peter Beale has by running a fruit and veg stall even Ian said this week if fought against Pete wishes to run the stall because he wanted to make something of his life. Now that he has girlfriend and child to look after should he not be looking something with a more long term future.

Odd also he should be lecturing Lola this week on becoming a child carer and giving up her job "painting nails" to do something more worthwhile. While Peter works hard on the stall he should be looking for a better job as well and one that has prospects!

Corrie is not much better in terms of teenagers with ambitions with Sophie Webster happy to work as a shop assistant and not making much effort to find herself a career despite being quite bright
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see lots of youngsters unemployed for months at a time, yet in soapland there are always plenty of jobs.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are some very talented child actors on the soaps and it is interesting to think how they will turn out as adult characters. I think Jacob (ED) will be successful and Angelica (ED) shows promise. Samson (ED) might buck the Dingle trend and make a career for himself. Craig (CS) will never be a high-flyer, but I think he will be a good worker. Simon (CS) will go far and little Liam, Maria's boy, and Dev's twins show great promise. Then there are the ones who it is difficult to understand how they got past the audition - Sean and Amelia (ED) and Faye (CS). I don't see those characters being around as adult characters. I only watch Emmerdale and Coronation St. but I am sure there is some great young talent on the other soaps.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    The youngsters are all fine at the moment - well, they've all got jobs at least.

Although not too young, Lee and Dean will be the ones to watch next to see what they do. Lee would no longer be in the army, where will he work? If Dean actually was working in a bar in Australia, I assume he'll work in Sharon's new bar?

I'm wondering if Lee is a mechanic in the Army. I like the idea of him running the Arches for Phil now that AJ's gone.
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member

I can see Ben getting free legal representation.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst for me was Todd in Corrie. He had great potential for university, was set for Oxbridge if I recall correctly and then flunked his exams, shacked up with Sarah and got a job in the corner shop!,:D
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is though they like their characters to live and work on the shows set. So as a result we have professional people downgrading to menial jobs in order to give them more screen time. For example Sonia in EE is a trained nurse yet she's working in Ian's cafe, very similar to Jenna in Corrie. Jack Branning came in as a copper yet ended up running the club, Bradley worked in a bank but was sacked and became the market inspector etc etc

The only soap that promotes ambition is neighbours which is full of successful people. They've got Karl and Susan - a doctor and a Head Teacher, Toadie - a lawyer, Terese - the manager of a hotel and Paul - a very successful businessman and now the Mayor.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being educated is a dirty word in soaps, and anyone who goes to uni invariably drops out. If anyone actually does get a degree they are seen as a boring oddball.

Anyone who comes into the soap with a profession, ends up working in the café or shop or in packing/sewing knickers/counting sweets in the factory
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Being educated is a dirty word in soaps, and anyone who goes to uni invariably drops out. If anyone actually does get a degree they are seen as a boring oddball.

Anyone who comes into the soap with a profession, ends up working in the café or shop or in packing/sewing knickers/counting sweets in the factory

I agree Andy. Not a great message for our young people watching these soaps.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    I know the fruit and veg stall has been passed down through generations, but looking at Peter, I just don't see him as the type to do that for a lifetime. Could that even fund a family. I think he needs a new vocation.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is though they like their characters to live and work on the shows set. So as a result we have professional people downgrading to menial jobs in order to give them more screen time. For example Sonia in EE is a trained nurse yet she's working in Ian's cafe, very similar to Jenna in Corrie. Jack Branning came in as a copper yet ended up running the club, Bradley worked in a bank but was sacked and became the market inspector etc etc

The only soap that promotes ambition is neighbours which is full of successful people. They've got Karl and Susan - a doctor and a Head Teacher, Toadie - a lawyer, Terese - the manager of a hotel and Paul - a very successful businessman and now the Mayor.

Sonia still is a nurse, she is working in the cafe to help out Carol
    Jack used to be a copper, a corrupt one we are meant to believe but never came in as one. It is realistic to show characters with degrees working in cafes and bars as that is real life, a degree doesn't warrant you a professional job.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    I think they should have Sonia work in the surgery and have an affair with the Doctor who should also become a regular
  • Options
    EmrysEmrys Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    It's refreshing in ED to have Finn Barton come in with a degree and harbouring ambition to successfully actually use it, even if he is treated like a joke by everyone.

It's annoying/unrealistic that all the kids drop out of education completely at GCSE (if they even make it to that stage what with all the "free periods", afternoons off for no apparent reason, and generally hating school).

A-Levels or equivalent don't come into the equation, and as for going to Uni, they might as well be leaving the country. They either hate it and drop out, or are never seen or spoken of again.
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coronation Street is terrible at this, really terrible.

None of the young characters ever realise their potential while they are living in Weatherfield. If they are successful in any way, they are soon stripped of their jobs (Jenna, Kirsty) and demoted to working in the factory or cafe.

Any sniff of ambition is quickly bashed out of them if they want to remain within the confines of the Coronation-Rosamund-Victoria Street triangle. If they do want to get anywhere, they have to leave Weatherfield and never been heard of again until they return as failures (Amber, Todd, Ryan).

One of Corrie's best ever young female characters was Angie Freeman, back when No.7. was a student house. She was tough and driven, but even she had to move away from Weatherfield to get anywhere in life. She went away to study Aztec design, which has been everywhere the past couple of years … time to bring Angie back as a high-flying fashion exec :D:D:D
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol at Tamwar, true though!
  • Options
    Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shabnam has a pharmacy degree and is looking for a job as a pharmacist.....but only in the pharmacy thats 5 minutes from her house