Gary Busey's semi deafness/ hard of hearing...

MissDeeBlueMissDeeBlue Posts: 4,045
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I cannot understand why the fuss?

I keep thinking about the past housemates who were so much younger having worse disabilities, and never caused this much fuss/attention in the house.

Sure thing, Gary belches, elbows people, is rude and has no manners, zero personal hygine, yet after all this, people say awww hes elderly, deserves respect.. oh and hes deaf.. awwww bless

Now, I really like Gary, he is making great BB. So I'm not moaning. But I remember Sam Evans BB14 winner, was even more deaf than Gary, yet didn't make as much fuss as Gary does.

Also if Gary is like this is real life, there is no way ANY partner would be with him. So I am calling the 'acting' card

And the Oscar goes to.....

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    No......
  • jp761jp761 Posts: 33,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok why do people forget about brain injury on top of any deafness. It's not only some deafness as with Sam for instance. Its deafness , brain injuries and age. But age the least , 70 isn't that old but it's certainly a lot older than most housemates normally are.
  • MissDeeBlueMissDeeBlue Posts: 4,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah .. thats how you type 'NO'! I tried to type just NO before and DS said it was too short. Next time ill add dots. :):)

No ! ......

YAY it worked :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jp761 wrote: »
    Ok why do people forget about brain injury on top of any deafness. It's not only some deafness as with Sam for instance. Its deafness , brain injuries and age. But age the least , 70 isn't that old but it's certainly a lot older than most housemates normally are.

Sorry JP hands up yep.. I admit.. I forgot the brain injury

Sorry :blush:
  • Fairy WingsFairy Wings Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    Repeated, repeatedly. 70 years old, hard of hearing, brain injury.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry JP hands up yep.. I admit.. I forgot the brain injury

Sorry :blush:
    That's cool :) But obviously it will have some impact i would of thought on top of any deafness. I'm not a doctor but I would think it has an impact. After all anything with the brain is well known to change people's personality and characteristics somewhat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I keep thinking about the past housemates who were so much younger having worse disabilities, and never caused this much fuss/attention in the house.

Sure thing, Gary belches, elbows people, is rude and has no manners, zero personal hygine, yet after all this, people say awww hes elderly, deserves respect.. oh and hes deaf.. awwww bless

Now, I really like Gary, he is making great BB. So I'm not moaning. But I remember Sam Evans BB14 winner, was even more deaf than Gary, yet didn't make as much fuss as Gary does.

Also if Gary is like this is real life, there is no way ANY partner would be with him. So I am calling the 'acting' card

ANY partner , partners put up with alsorts for varying reasons though. John McCrirck's wife does so i'm sure Garys partner copes well enough :D lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jp761 wrote: »
    ANY partner , partners put up with alsorts for varying reasons though. John McCrirck's wife does so i'm sure Garys partner copes well enough :D lol

John McCrirck's wife 'the boobie' must be Mother Theresa!!! ;-)
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sam Evans, was congenitally deaf as is one of my siblings, and has over their lifetime adjusted to living with "hearing people" to a much better level than Gary would who has an acquired deafness.

Please believe me, I am in no way at all an authority on what level of deafness or it's aacquirement is worse, all I can speak from is experience and I would imagine to loose one's hearing having had perfect audio range, must be disturbing.

Moreover, to assume that any partner would not want to be with Gary is really quite offensive. That is taking supposition a bit too far in my book. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Moreover, to assume that any partner would not want to be with Gary is really quite offensive. That is taking supposition a bit too far in my book. :(

opps sorry you disliked what I wrote but I didnt type 'would not want to be with him'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    opps sorry you disliked what I wrote but I didnt type 'would not want to be with him'

Firstly who said I disliked what you wrote...where did I say that. :confused:You haven't at all responded with the factual info I gave you about deafness, but hey, knock yourself out on a minor technicality. Some may say petty, I say....whatever.;-)

MissDeeBlue
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im having a 'sorry' night tonight...

maybe I should hold off posting till tomorrow ...

Enjoy CBB tonight folks.. loving it so far :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im having a 'sorry' night tonight...

maybe I should hold off posting till tomorrow ...

Enjoy CBB tonight folks.. loving it so far :)

And you too sweetheart. Debate is good. Doesn't mean it'a all bad. That's the thing with forums....give and take. :) Come back after the eviction and tell us what you think.x;-)
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People with deafness / brain injuries sometimes do play on their disability. It might be a surprise to some of you on here that not all disabled people are angels - they know all the tricks of the trade as much as able-bodied people and if anything, they can get away with a hell of a lot more.
  • Judith_LouiseJudith_Louise Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Gary really reminds me of my Dad, who suffered oxygen deprivation during an operation resulting in an acquired brain injury.
    Dad would get very rude when he wasn't understanding me, claiming I wasn't speaking clearly or loudly enough...actually his cognition was the problem, and it was all terribly sad for us all, including him.
    Gary can't hear very well, and when he does hear, sometimes doesn't understand very well,or respond appropriately. That is brain injury. Not ALL his social deficits are brain injury, but many of them are I think.
    I can imagine how tiresome it is for Gary's fellow housemates, and how agonizing for Gary who KNOWS he's irritating, but as he says, he is doing his best.
    I hugely respect Gary for earning a living in spite of his disabilities, and feel sorry for everyone having a hard time dealing with him. It is REALLY hard for all of them. Sad situation, and very exploitative imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Funny how his brain injury, which according to online reports took 4 weeks to recover from doesn't stop him from holding a driving licence. Theres evidence of him driving with his 3year old son on TMZ. It didn't stop him making 100's of films and tv appearances. He seems to hear perfectly fine on every TV interview he has done in past few months & years. Hes just playing up this dodgery, ecentric deaf old man thing. Thats his thing now coz no serious big budget director would cast him for anything else than that. Look up his interview from last year with Joan Rivers on youtube.

Anyway theres been alot more older people who have been in the celeb big brother house like Lional Blair and Sylvester Stallones mum. Stephanie Beechams was deaf aswell remember. Besides all that Gary busey is a twice arrested wife beater.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Gary really reminds me of my Dad, who suffered oxygen deprivation during an operation resulting in an acquired brain injury.
    Dad would get very rude when he wasn't understanding me, claiming I wasn't speaking clearly or loudly enough...actually his cognition was the problem, and it was all terribly sad for us all, including him.
    Gary can't hear very well, and when he does hear, sometimes doesn't understand very well,or respond appropriately. That is brain injury. Not ALL his social deficits are brain injury, but many of them are I think.
    I can imagine how tiresome it is for Gary's fellow housemates, and how agonizing for Gary who KNOWS he's irritating, but as he says, he is doing his best.
    I hugely respect Gary for earning a living in spite of his disabilities, and feel sorry for everyone having a hard time dealing with him. It is REALLY hard for all of them. Sad situation, and very exploitative imo.

I too have been saying since early days that it looks like there is a cognitive problem. From an observer's perspective it often feels like Gary isn't joining the dots quite correctly. The trouble is that in his mind the incorrect links he has made will seem as right as can be. To him but not to the others. This is a recipe for misunderstandings and a lot of frustration.

He won't understand why they are telling him what he honestly perceives to be the case is wrong. And if the rest of them are unaware that he doesn't always perceive things as they are and have only been briefed with the knowledge that he is deaf and some vague information about a brain injury they will not know he isn't being wilfully contrary.

I feel it was unfair to all of them not to provide some solid information about Gary's limitations and how his particular injury manifests itself. Of course I don't know that they weren't but it doesn't look like it.

I find it hard to believe that 14 people are being nasty to Gary with the intention of hurting him. Why would they do that? Few human beings set out to deliberately hurt others. I just don't think they have the information or knowledge they need to understand why he behaves as he does.

Deafness is part of the explanation. They seem to get that but deafness is only part of the story and doesn't explain all his mannerisms. There is no reason why they should automatically conclude that he has a cognitive reasoning malfunction. So they are left with knowledge gaps which inevitably they have filled in and wrongly; concluding that he is just difficult. I have a lot of sympathy for all of them.
  • BlueStreakBlueStreak Posts: 11,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really? So by that token 26 yrs ago when I was unfortunate enough to contract an illness that has now left me not quite right, my husband should have dumped me? Instead he stuck by me and makes sure I have everything I want and need. Do you know why? Because he loves me.

:)