is the hype starting to fade for One Direction?

Comments

• Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Who cares about their singles being number 1 in so many countries.
    Their albums won't stand the test of time, and fortunately for me in 5-10 years time they will be irrelevant because musically they are not very good.
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the One Direction members, they're pretty unlikeable to be honest. I hated them even on XF. So you can imagine my annoyance when the capitulated to worldwide stardom. I found them cocky and up themselves then and i do now. :D

However...It's hard to deny that they are anywhere near 'fading'. Massively successful worldwide still, live tour sales still huge and they really are pretty tough to beat right now. Yes there is some competition now but to be honest it's still not gonna dent them anywhere near noticeable. Also, remember those who don't like them there is ALWAYS going to be a boy band doing well we've seen it before Westlife, Boyzone, JLS, The Wanted, Busted, Take That etc - and at the time they are all 'loving it' and act like bell-ends.

I like the new single. Its a bit samey to some of the songs from the last album but it's still good. The first two albums were amazing lets just say that. The third wasn't as good but was very good to be fair.

The success will end at some point and they'll start focus on themselves rather than the band at some point. We have to remember yes they are hugely successful but they are no where near Spice Girls sales - that was ten times bigger. Their debut sold 30 million worldwide, 1D only sold 5 million i think. So if the Spice Girls hysteria can fade at some point so will 1D. Look at Westlife for example i use to HATE the sight of them winning all these Record Of The Year's but they are finished now. With 1D it might be a Girls Aloud situation and take ten years to get to there but they will. No matter how much they make they'll get bored eventually and want to establish themselves individually - it's already obvious that Harry is pondering this already.

My predictions for post-1D careers.
    Louis - on his own he's basically nothing. He'll probably do some musicals? Release a single which won't do very well or be well received critically either.
    Zayn - he is actually a good singer, well known and i think he'll have a no.1 single and maybe a semi-successful debut album but not much else. He'll agree to some Newlyweds MTV thing with Perri for a bit...i just can sense it.
    Harry - He's by far the most popular member, like Cheryl. He'll have some continued success musically and then retire to a quiet life playing with his millions on MTV Cribs.
    Niall -i think he could be the surprise success. He definitely with his guitar etc as a advantage and i think he could have some continued success to like Harry.
    Liam - Very sensible. He'll have more success than Louis. He'll release an album. It won't do very well and then that's it.

I think the 1D brand has at least 6-8 albums in it. Then they'll disband. I mean who the hell would stop when they are making so much money right now, they'll continue for at least four more years me thinks. No one will overtake them, they'll just disband themselves when sales fade ever so slightly and go out on a high like Girls Aloud did.
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares about their singles being number 1 in so many countries.
    Their albums won't stand the test of time, and fortunately for me in 5-10 years time they will be irrelevant because musically they are not very good.

Of course they won't stand the test of time, neither will most pop albums. They're just a pop band but 100x the success level thats all.

The biggest boy band in the UK is Take That not One Direction thats based on touring and album sales. Worldwide 1D are huge though.

I don't get the Beatles comparisons at all. It's laughable that The Wanted even tried to compete when they didn't even have a big enough fan base in the UK. They had so much exposure (The Wanted) some amazing tv spots and it still didn't break them which is why they disbanded. Going up against 1D and criticising them was a stupid decision and lost them a good portion of fans who then were forced to choose between the two bands and obviously liked 1D more. The Wanted are an example of how to ruin your support by acting like bell-ends and criticising more successful artists although it didn't do Cheryl much harm - she helped keep GA out there with her outbursts...

1D are an example of the power of social media - the newfound modern power of what it can do. I mean they went in to countries were they had done NO promotion with thousands of people screaming....!

Last point, you could have as the case with most pop bands replace any of the members with someone else who also fits the same sort of characteristics etc. Just like any of the other girls who didn't make it in to Girls Aloud could have carried it to where it is now (well Nadine was needed to be fair) same with 1D same with most other pop bands. Its a case of RIGHT PLACE RIGHT TIME and luck - thats all. Jake Quickenden could have been in Olly Murs position for example ...!:o ha ha
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first two albums were amazing lets just say that.

Lets not.
  • coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the biggest boyband in uk - take that (sadly in uk alone)

but if we say the biggest uk boyband.. i must say it's 1D

two statements are different.
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6266636/one-direction-steal-my-girl-four-rock?facebook_20140930

Ok, Billboard can really like the song, but to claim that this is rock music is just ridiculous? Even song Midnight Memories was more rock than this. This is clearly a pop song, they are just hyping it.

The point is, non-1D fans will never give them credit as long as they use melodies from famous songs. At least with a cover you know it is a cover, this is just really annoying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i agree, that is really the advantage when the almost whole world is ON YOU, luckily for them even billboard...

and now with a little disappointment and frustration that my favorite boy band hasn't got the same treatment to think that they produce the best original boyband pop songs during their early days
  • DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6266636/one-direction-steal-my-girl-four-rock?facebook_20140930

Ok, Billboard can really like the song, but to claim that this is rock music is just ridiculous? Even song Midnight Memories was more rock than this. This is clearly a pop song, they are just hyping it.

The point is, non-1D fans will never give them credit as long as they use melodies from famous songs. At least with a cover you know it is a cover, this is just really annoying.

it's pop rock. They did a proper rock song last album called Little Black Dress but this new one is different in sound. The lyrics are very pop as well. I hope the rest of the album is more mature lyrically.

Take That are clearly a more talented act with Jason's dancing (RIP) and Gary's songwriting and piano skills, but 1D do alright for what they are. I would say that they have one of the strongest male vocalists in Zayn. 1D will probably be remembered for their bafflingly huge success and a handful of good songs - and that's ok for a pop vocal group. They're providing their fans with fun until the next big thing comes along and the revenue is propping up the UK music industry (whilst TT have been on hiatus).

It's wrong to say the group could have been made up out of anyone. One Direction's USP is that they get on like a house of fire. They've always been very affectionate and playful with one another. Their interaction is what fans are into and other assembled groups (such as The Wanted) don't have that. The biggest risk to their success is them having a huge fall out because they're not good enough actors to fake getting along well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's pop rock. They did a proper rock song last album called Little Black Dress but this new one is different in sound. The lyrics are very pop as well. I hope the rest of the album is more mature lyrically. .

But thats exactly my point - there were a few rockier tunes on their last album, but this certainly is a pop record. And while I agree Little Black Dress was a proper rock tune, it is quite cringeworthy, they definitely sound like their are trying too hard to act cool, while Harry's moaning is embarrassing - who the hell does he think he is? :D And what I gathered from the comments on the internet, most fans weren't very happy with that song.

All I'm saying is that Billboard is definitely jumping the gun saying they make rock music now as the single and that free track definitely aren't rock. Just wait for the entire album and if there are at least half of rock songs on it, then say it. I remember that 1 review from their last album that they made a great rock album. Two songs doesn't make it so, 1D are still very much a pop band. AND there is nothing wrong with that by the way. Maroon 5 make heavier music than 1D and they are portrayed as pop band for a while now which is fine, so its silly to say 1D are turning into a rock band.

And you also made a good point about the lyrics - having such poppy lyrics but having a few rock riffs doesn't make it into a rock song - the song has to be also lyrically like that, which Steal My Girl isn't, its very much 1D "I'm perfect, you are perfect, lets be together forever" pop. I can just see Glee cast or even High School Musical cast jamming on it in a huge musical number. Plus, the way they do that na na na bit they love so much makes every song just more immature, that also makes it very pop, rock just goes out the window the moment they add that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But thats exactly my point - there were a few rockier tunes on their last album, but this certainly is a pop record. And while I agree Little Black Dress was a proper rock tune, it is quite cringeworthy, they definitely sound like their are trying too hard to act cool, while Harry's moaning is embarrassing - who the hell does he think he is? :D And what I gathered from the comments on the internet, most fans weren't very happy with that song.

All I'm saying is that Billboard is definitely jumping the gun saying they make rock music now as the single and that free track definitely aren't rock. Just wait for the entire album and if there are at least half of rock songs on it, then say it. I remember that 1 review from their last album that they made a great rock album. Two songs doesn't make it so, 1D are still very much a pop band. AND there is nothing wrong with that by the way. Maroon 5 make heavier music than 1D and they are portrayed as pop band for a while now which is fine, so its silly to say 1D are turning into a rock band.

And you also made a good point about the lyrics - having such poppy lyrics but having a few rock riffs doesn't make it into a rock song - the song has to be also lyrically like that, which Steal My Girl isn't, its very much 1D "I'm perfect, you are perfect, lets be together forever" pop. I can just see Glee cast or even High School Musical cast jamming on it in a huge musical number.

Billboard put Lorde in the rock category so they have trouble with categorisation.

Maybe we define pop rock differently. Bon Jovi is pop rock and to me Steal My Girl is in the same wheelhouse. If you don't add in subgenres then 'pop' becomes all encompassing. The typical 1D sound is noisy instrumentals, heavy drums etc. - that's not bubblegum, even if the lyrics are. The setlist for their tour only had a few songs from the first 2 albums. Away from the ballads it was pretty much a pop rock concert.

There were some more mature lyrics on the last album, especially in Strong. Happily was pop mixed with a little 'hey folk' but had a more adult theme than other 1D songs. I hope the new song is the lead single to keep fans happy and we get more interesting material in the album. I'm here for mature(r) 1D - if they don't progress now when they've got a loyal fanbase and little competition they never will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billboard put Lorde in the rock category so they have trouble with categorisation.

They are not the only ones - it is just hilarious Lorde won VMA in a rock category with Royals - if that song is rock then I just don't know :D

To me Bon Jovi stopped being a rock band a long time ago, they are so soft nowadays. You certainly can shift from being a rock band to a pop band, thats what they did and what Maroon 5 did.

I agree with Strong, it is the only song I really liked besides Story of My Life. But I can't with Happily - they basically want a girl that has a boyfriend, that is just a typical boyband lyric, nothing mature about that.

But still, even if the instrumental isn't bubblegum, the lyrics mostly are which deflates any maturity of the song - thats just my opinion anyway. And again, they should stop really sounding like someone else, it is the 5th time that people pointed out the uncanny similarity to the famous songs. I know it isn't really their fault, its Syco, but still. Very annoying. At least you know what you get when it is a cover, this is just disrespectful.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If 1D are a rock band (they aren't) which one of the members are the Drummer and who is the Bass player?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The album will probably sell well, but it is true that hype is steadily decreasing as their new single is not slaying anywhere: Austria - 74 (15) - Steal My Girl, Spain - 50 (7) Steal My Girl, France - 184 (19) Steal My Girl, Czech Republic -#94 NEW Steal my girl...

Heck, even Meghan is way ahead in the UK and thats her 2nd week.

Lets be clear I am NOT saying they are over, but it shows that the hype is decreasing since this is actually the first single of the new album. It shows that the song managed to mostly please the loyal fanbase but not others.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The album will probably sell well, but it is true that hype is steadily decreasing as their new single is not slaying anywhere: Austria - 74 (15) - Steal My Girl, Spain - 50 (7) Steal My Girl, France - 184 (19) Steal My Girl, Czech Republic -#94 NEW Steal my girl...

Lets be clear I am NOT saying they are over, but it shows that the hype is decreasing since this is actually the first single of the new album. It shows that the song managed to mostly please the loyal fanbase but not others.

Well how long have they been around? Four years now, the average life span of a Boyband in mainstream is around three years maybe five if they're lucky
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Well how long have they been around? Four years now, the average life span of a Boyband in mainstream is around three years maybe five if they're lucky

Oh I know that, its true - its just the fans and the media are still going on and on how they are slaying everywhere. Well, they are not. Nothing lasts forever, thats perfectly normal.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else noticed the irony of a thread asking if the hype about One Direction has faded is still going strong after two years ?! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed the irony of a thread asking if the hype about One Direction has faded is still going strong after two years ?! :D

Well, to be fair, this thread started out that way but then it became a debate on how they should have been more successful considering all the hype and over the top positive media exposure they have.

This topic only started again because a fan was saying how they are slaying again with being no.1 on iTunes in 70 countries the first day - that means nothing.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As usual you're putting too much emphasis on single sales as a measure of success. None of those markets are huge for single sales anyway. Singles don't mean much to a record label. Does Ed Sheeran get to number 1 with every single release? No but he sells a truckload of albums which is how labels make money. It's the same for 1d. They have just finished a huge grossing stadium tour. I don't think even BSB played stadiums.

Album wise I am willing to bet the new album will be one of the biggest sellers this year. And also their merchandize sales are massive. You should start looking at the bigger picture. They are huge still.

Oh and I look forward to Megan Trainor having the top selling album in the world by the end of this year. I.bet she won't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    As usual you're putting too much emphasis on single sales as a measure of success. None of those markets are huge for single sales anyway. Singles don't mean much to a record label. Does Ed Sheeran get to number 1 with every single release? No but he sells a truckload of albums which is how labels make money. It's the same for 1d. They have just finished a huge grossing stadium tour. I don't think even BSB played stadiums.

Album wise I am willing to bet the new album will be one of the biggest sellers this year. And also their merchandize sales are massive. You should start looking at the bigger picture. They are huge still.

AGAIN, I am not one of those who are saying they are finished or that they will fade completely, but you can't deny their chart positions worldwide had been much higher last year. And it is pointless to mention that BSB didn't do stadiums - boybands just didn't do those kind of tours in the past, not that they couldn't - I'm sure BsB, Nsync, Westlife and Take That would have sold them no problem in their heydays. But it wasn't common back then - the first boyband who started it was Take That.

But you can't deny that 1D had a lot more successful singles than this one, even if the albums are doing better. And it is not so irrelevant if that is the lead single of the new album - those singles are usually always bigger than the rest since no one has the album yet.

Plus, you were the one who started this thread again even if the last post was in may last year, just so you could point how they are no. 1 on iTunes in 65 countries - I'm just saying that they aren't killing it again with this single at the moment, sold out tours or merchandise have nothing to do with new music.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I hope so
  • JigglyBallJigglyBall Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was bound to happen. They 100% cater to young girls who lust after them, and fantasize about them.

When the fanbase grows up they slowly begin to fade away. This is more or less the same pattern that every boyband follows.

When I was a tween Take That were over, 5ive, N'Sync, A1, Westlife and co. had shuffled into their place. Where are they all now?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JigglyBall wrote: »
    It was bound to happen. They 100% cater to young girls who lust after them, and fantasize about them.

When the fanbase grows up they slowly begin to fade away. This is more or less the same pattern that every boyband follows.

When I was a tween Take That were over, 5ive, N'Sync, A1, Westlife and co. had shuffled into their place. Where are they all now?!

People always say this about pop groups and it is never true. Plenty of adults enjoy vocal group music, including One Direction's. Story Of My Life was on the Radio 2 playlist after all. This particular group has some die-hard teenage fans but also a lot of very reasonable ones who want the group and its members to do the best they can. They've had a pretty good run, I'm surprised they haven't been overtaken by a Disney kid or Bieber 2.0. If they have another year of success (they have more stadiums sold out for 2015) and more than 1 JT or Robbie breakout star they'll have broken the mould.

Personally I think their chart position this week (probably #3) is about right because the Meghan Trainor song is popular and fresh and Taylor Swift has done a lot of promo. The 1D boys seem to do most of their promo around album release in November, we'll see how popular they are then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »

the thread is actually a question if it is STARTING.. i think two yeas ago it already started comparing their earlier years at their highest peak.
  • BeatsDuJourBeatsDuJour Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    AGAIN, I am not one of those who are saying they are finished or that they will fade completely, but you can't deny their chart positions worldwide had been much higher last year. And it is pointless to mention that BSB didn't do stadiums - boybands just didn't do those kind of tours in the past, not that they couldn't - I'm sure BsB, Nsync, Westlife and Take That would have sold them no problem in their heydays. But it wasn't common back then - the first boyband who started it was Take That.

But you can't deny that 1D had a lot more successful singles than this one, even if the albums are doing better. And it is not so irrelevant if that is the lead single of the new album - those singles are usually always bigger than the rest since no one has the album yet.

Plus, you were the one who started this thread again even if the last post was in may last year, just so you could point how they are no. 1 on iTunes in 65 countries - I'm just saying that they aren't killing it again with this single at the moment, sold out tours or merchandise have nothing to do with new music.

New Kids on the Block played major stadiums as far back as 1990. The Backstreet Boys performed in various stadiums in North America (including Dodger Stadium), South America and Germany between 1997 and 2001. NSYNC performed in various stadiums in North America (including Dodger Stadium) between 1999 and 2001. In fact, the majority of the venues on their 2001 PopOdyssey Tour were 50,000+ capacity stadiums. Take That performed in stadiums in Asia during 1995, but these so-called stadiums were actually arenas that held between 10,000-15,000 people. Take That never started playing true stadiums until their comeback tour in 2006.
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steal My Girl doesn't seem to be doing too great does it? Perhaps when a video is released it will rise again.

Although I think whilst the song itself isn't bad, it's more 2nd or 3rd single than lead single.