Options

If I canceled my Sky HD.......

Trickster999Trickster999 Posts: 1,639
Forum Member
✭✭✭
would I still receive BBC1 and ITV in HD? And could I still record etc on the box itself?
For those of you that have canceled but had a £10 for 3 months offer from Sky, did they extend it after that 3 months?

Comments

• Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would I still receive BBC1 and ITV in HD? And could I still record etc on the box itself?
    For those of you that have canceled but had a £10 for 3 months offer from Sky, did they extend it after that 3 months?

Do you mean cancel the HD pack and keep the SD one? then yes you can record. If you are dropping to Freesat from Sky it's £10 to record.

You will get BBC One HD, BBC HD Channel, ITV1 HD/STV HD(off the EPG), Luxury life HD, Channel 4 HD and Five HD for free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Do you mean cancel the HD pack and keep the SD one? then yes you can record. If you are dropping to Freesat from Sky it's £10 to record.

You will get BBC One HD, BBC HD Channel, ITV1 HD/STV HD(off the EPG), Luxury life HD, Channel 4 HD and Five HD for free.

Do you get to keep live rewind and pause? (there were conflicting answers on this yesterday).
  • Options
    ResidentSDResidentSD Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harrowing wrote: »
    Do you get to keep live rewind and pause? (there were conflicting answers on this yesterday).

If you drop the HD Pack, but keep subscribing to Sky, you will keep BBC One HD and ITV1 HD (along with BBC HD, Channel 4 HD, Five HD and Luxury Life HD) and you will also keep the Sky+ functionality (including live rewind and pause).

If you stop subscribing to Sky altogether, you will still receive the free HD channels but you will not be able to use the record and live rewind/pause functionality unless you pay £10/month.

Basically, the Sky+ subscription is included with any Sky package, otherwise its £10/month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ResidentSD wrote: »
    If you drop the HD Pack, but keep subscribing to Sky, you will keep BBC One HD and ITV1 HD (along with BBC HD, Channel 4 HD, Five HD and Luxury Life HD) and you will also keep the Sky+ functionality (including live rewind and pause).

If you stop subscribing to Sky altogether, you will still receive the free HD channels but you will not be able to use the record and live rewind/pause functionality unless you pay £10/month.

Basically, the Sky+ subscription is included with any Sky package, otherwise its £10/month.

Thanks. Was just a poster said a sky cs rep said live pause not available with tenner a month.:confused:
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    Harrowing wrote: »
    Thanks. Was just a poster said a sky cs rep said live pause not available with tenner a month.:confused:

CS's commonly know nothing, they just make things up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CS's commonly know nothing, they just make things up.
    lol :D
  • Options
    Trickster999Trickster999 Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I mean cancel everything...guess I will have to get a Freesat Humax recorder then....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean cancel everything...guess I will have to get a Freesat Humax recorder then....

Yes but you won't get Channel 4 HD and Five HD due them being Free-to-view so you need a card and they are not on Freesat's EPG.

If cancelling Sky I'd recommend a Freeview HD box that records. Not sure if they make HD PVR's for DTT yet? but C4 HD is on that. Keep the Sky HD box for Five HD as it won't be on Freeview HD until atleast 2012.
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but you won't get Channel 4 HD and Five HD due them being Free-to-view so you need a card and they are not on Freesat's EPG.

If cancelling Sky I'd recommend a Freeview HD box that records. Not sure if they make HD PVR's for DTT yet? but C4 HD is on that. Keep the Sky HD box for Five HD as it won't be on Freeview HD until atleast 2012.

That just highlights the shambles we have where you CANNOT get a box that will receive and record ALL the free channels.

You have to accept a compromise between a box that will receive all, but not record them, or a box that will receive some and record them, but has some channels missing. Or a separate recorder to the receiving box.

This is precisely the sort of thing Ofcom should be sorting out, but of course they are not interested.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »
    That just highlights the shambles we have where you CANNOT get a box that will receive and record ALL the free channels.

You have to accept a compromise between a box that will receive all, but not record them, or a box that will receive some and record them, but has some channels missing. Or a separate recorder to the receiving box.

This is precisely the sort of thing Ofcom should be sorting out, but of course they are not interested.

The only issue is if Ofcom stepped in how far do they go? Allow just C4 HD/Five HD or do they go the whole way and make Dave, Channel One, 4Music, Yesterday all free too?
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only issue is if Ofcom stepped in how far do they go? Allow just C4 HD/Five HD or do they go the whole way and make Dave, Channel One, 4Music, Yesterday all free too?

My point was not channels free on one platform but pay on another (that's another subject for another debate)

But the point was, at the moment for instance, five HD is ONLY available free on a sky HD box with a freesat from sky card, so you can watch it, but not record it. Channel 4 HD likewise on satellite, but at least that's available on freeview HD so with a suitable recorder could be received.

If only Ofcom had some bottle, and insisted the likes of channel 4 HD and five HD had do be on freesat, then the problem would be solved.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    If only Ofcom had some bottle, and insisted the likes of channel 4 HD and five HD had do be on freesat, then the problem would be solved.

What would be the point? - OFCOM don't have that power, and even if they did, space would need to be found on 2D.

All such a stupid thing would have resulted in is no CH4 HD or CH5 HD at all.

If OFCOM were going to do anything useful they should have insisted Freesat was a much better designed service, it's purely Freesat's limitations that are the cause of all the problems.
  • Options
    TrinitronHDTrinitronHD Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the point was, at the moment for instance, five HD is ONLY available free on a sky HD box with a freesat from sky card, so you can watch it, but not record it. Channel 4 HD likewise on satellite, but at least that's available on freeview HD so with a suitable recorder could be received.

Is it within Ofcom's remit to ensure that channels are available to record? Even if it is, why should they necessarily be *free*?
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you go down the OFCOM route, it will end up that all the 'free' channels will be rec'd via a paid for card,

I assume along the lines of Canal Digitaal basic (?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    swills wrote: »
    If you go down the OFCOM route, it will end up that all the 'free' channels will be rec'd via a paid for card,

Dont give them ideas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    So if you upgrade to a Sky HD box, how long is the contract for you to be able to keep the box but drop the £10 per month fee? would it be 12 or 24 month minimum contract? Not saying I would do that but would like the option.
  • Options
    Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minimum term is 12 months