• lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Subtitles!
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ea91 wrote: »
    There you go.

Yes but the majority of accents were "neutralised" all across TV.

You wouldn't have found many regional accents reading the news etc, but nowadays you do.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    Subtitles!

:D Yeah the simple solution :D
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    bbll22 wrote: »
    His accent in the alleyway scene became quite strong in places though and that was one of the places where I struggled to understand him the most in places. He mumbled as his accent got stronger. I think it's a fair enough complaint to make. His accent was a part of the problem in places throughout Deep Breath.

In that scene he was off in a rant, he would have been the same in any accent..imo! Rambling away..was nowt to do with the accent!
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a very strong scots accent though is it? :confused:
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen people complain that the music is too loud and thus makes dialogue difficult to hear. I have never had this problem so perhaps it's a problem with their TV.

No, it's a symptom of advancing years. It gets difficult to filter out speech from music. Or indeed, from more speech.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    It's not. It genuinely is the most ridiculous criticism I have ever seen.
    Accusing him of mumbling at points or complaining that the music is too loud are valid criticisms.
    When I say "the most ridiculous criticism I have ever seen", I mean the claim that his Scottish accent specifically makes him difficult to understand; a claim, some people on this thread seem to be making.

I've been put through to Scottish call centres before now and have had to put the phone down as I couldn't understand what they were saying.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ea91 wrote: »
    There you go.

Not true, I thought it was bloody weird.

What, Eccleston' s "Manchester accent"?

Maybe because he' s Salfordian. But had toned it down. Imaginebif he' d not done that, eh?
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perfectly intelligible to me. Bonus is that I generally love the Scottish accent.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I've been put through to Scottish call centres before now and have had to put the phone down as I couldn't understand what they were saying.

Same!
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me too, but only because the member of staff wasn' t Scottish....
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    In that scene he was off in a rant, he would have been the same in any accent..imo! Rambling away..was nowt to do with the accent!

I thought he was meant to be a bit ranty and incoherent there. It was part of his character at that point in time. You didn't need to catch every word. It was the general sentiment and emotion behind it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I found him difficult to understand because I felt like he was mumbling a lot. I normally have no issues with accents, Scottish or otherwise.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the new accent was a gift from Amy bless her. 11 did think of her as he regenerated after all. I watched DB twice and understood him perfectly. Looking forward to the other 11 episodes and finding out about the christmas special. If Clara does leave give her a happy ending. 12 would want her to be happy and live a full and hopefully long life. He will love her enough to let her go if he has too.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard him clearly throughout the whole episode.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    He did get extremely Scottish at times, and I'm totally with whoever it was that said he was starting to sound a little Billy Connelly in bits. But in context, that was exactly what the scene was going for.
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are people claiming they found him difficult to understand being serious?

If so this has to be the single most ridiculous criticism of Doctor Who I have ever seen in my life. He speaks English with a Scottish lilt for goodness sake! He's hardly speaking scots with a strong Glasgow accent or anything like that.

Either that, or get someone to look at your television. I've seen people complain that the music is too loud and thus makes dialogue difficult to hear. I have never had this problem so perhaps it's a problem with their TV.

Perhaps they just like to find something to dislike? :D Next it will be a demand for subtitles for any accent that isn't middle class upper London. :) (I jest!)

I'm deaf in one ear and even without my hearing aid in I could understand what was being said. Mind you the speaker quality on my tv is really good.
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell you what, next time they'll get Prince Edward, Benedict Cumberbatch or Moira Stewart and that'll please the Little Englanders out there.