Will a past doctor return

satman17satman17 Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I wonder in the future if a doctor will reverse regenerate to a past doctor ?

Comments

• doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,203
    Forum Member
    It's certainly an interesting concept but I doubt it would ever happen on a permanent basis. Couldn't see a former doctor getting the same respect doing it second time around, and it would just seem strange.

I could easily see them doing it for a comic relief/children in need thing though, maybe where the doctor has some sort of virus and keeps alternating between his recent previous bodies. The other way I could see it happening is that it would be a new take on a multi doctor story for a special. In either case it would only really work if it was a one episode thing where the doctor was back to his current incarnation by the end of the episode.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well we have (possibly) already seen it with Tom Baker if The Curator is indeed a future Doctor.

However I doubt we will ever see it on a more permanent basis (the actor returning for a full series or more).

I think the show would have to be in dire straits to ever consider such a move and if that was the case I doubt even bringing back a popular former Doctor would do much good.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,203
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Well we have (possibly) already seen it with Tom Baker if The Curator is indeed a future Doctor.

However I doubt we will ever see it on a more permanent basis (the actor returning for a full series or more).

I think the show would have to be in dire straits to ever consider such a move and if that was the case I doubt even bringing back a popular former Doctor would do much good.

Hadn't thought about that, but yeah, kind off proves what I was saying in my previous post, that being that it's a fun idea for an episode or quick gimmick but it wouldn't really work on a permanent basis.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they're that desperate for ideas they'll probably try a female Doctor first.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Theres no reason why there cant be a future doctor, or even a few future doctors in an episode, with a throwaway line about them being from the doctors 5th cycle of regenerations, meaning they wouldnt be tied to that actor eventually coming to the role as it would be 60 or so doctors into the future.

You could even have a woman or 2, to test the waters.
  • satman17satman17 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think if there was a woman doctor or black doctor it would kill the show
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    satman17 wrote: »
    I personally think if there was a woman doctor or black doctor it would kill the show

Only a complete and utter idiot would stop watching for those reasons it's as stupid as stopping watching because the Doctor is to old or to young
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an interesting idea for a one-off (such as the Curator) but I can't see it working for an actor returning full-time to the role. It would seem too much like the either the show or the actor has got a bit desperate and is trying to recapture past glories.
  • gothictwistgothictwist Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Ive actually been convinced the whole idea for the curator bit was to give mgann a chance at a proper series after capaldi
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only a complete and utter idiot would stop watching for those reasons it's as stupid as stopping watching because the Doctor is to old or to young

I disagree, I think making the Doc female would be totally stupid and possibly kill the show, making him non-white is not an issue though obviously. Anyone who thinks that is the utter idiot in my view.
  • jackjack1984jackjack1984 Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I can't remember the issue but there was a Dr who comic strip with tom baker that has a de-generation. Some time disturbance caused the doctor to age backwards, ending with the young hand of the 1st dr. Ill try and find it, have it somewhere.
  • Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be cool if Colin Baker came back to do his Regeneration episode.

I know he looks way different now, but they could just have him turn young beforehand like Matt Smith did.
    Might even explain why he looked a lot like McCoy before he finished the change completely.

I'd like that.
    It would make a cool special.
    Maybe they could even get Frobisher in there :p
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    comedyfish wrote: »
    I disagree, I think making the Doc female would be totally stupid and possibly kill the show, making him non-white is not an issue though obviously. Anyone who thinks that is the utter idiot in my view.

Exactly. By all means have a spin-off and central female figures but it's a male role.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would probably stop watching if the Doctor was a woman because it would feel a gimmick too far. I have no more desire to see a female Doctor than I have a female James Bond, or a male Miss Marple.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

then i hold my hand up and proclaim my idiocy. If the Doctor ever became a woman, i would throw in the towel, game over for me after 40 years.
  • gothictwistgothictwist Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    this whole make the next doctor a woman or of a different ethnicity agenda seems rather distastfull to me. any such change should be purely down to a strong story arc concept in the case of a sex change or down to the best actor for the role when it comes to ethnicity.
    the whole idea the last few regenerations where it seems groups are pushing for change for change's sake or to push an agenda seems wrong.
    Any change should be based on plot not politics
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, only a complete and utter idiot would continue watching a show he didn't enjoy so if that genuinely stops someone enjoying it then they're right to stop watching, rather than watching and then ranting angrily about it, which seems the norm.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't see the problem with a future Doctor being black. A storm in a teacup.

A complete non issue. Just as Peter Capaldi being older than other doctors, Matt Smith being younger than a lot of other doctors, a complete irrelevance.

Female is something else because I suppose you could say that the one constant between all of the Doctor's is that they're all men and to change that is a bit too far. But anything else is fair game IMO, the Doctor no longer has to be a posh English bloke anymore either. Things change.