Mame (Starring Lucille Ball)

LMLM Posts: 63,464
Forum Member
✭✭
Originally known as a stage show starring Angela Lansbury and the non-musical version starring Rosalind Russell. But the story of Mame eventually made it as a musical on film in the 70's, starring Lucille Ball and original broadway cast member, Beatrice Arthur.

The film was slaughtered by critics (mainly for Lucille's singing and casting) and was a total flop. However, i think it is a brilliant film. Lucille's singing isn't perfect at all. But she gives it her all. But her and Beatrice Arthur are dynamite as Mame and Vera, two women who insult each other but deep down have a strong friendship. The film is very camp. Very outrageous. Fantastic performances. A catchy number of songs. It's one of those films that puts me in a good mood.

Anyone else like this film?

Comments

• Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,163
    Forum Member

No, I thought that it was one of the worst pieces of miscasting ever. I agree with the critic who gave it a one word review, "Maimed!"

Even though Angela Lansbury had been a smash hit on Broadway, she wasn't considered big a enough Box Office star. I am quite sure that it would have been a big success with Angela, because like Roz Russell she captured the spirit of Mame.
    I had the misfortune to see Ginger Rogers at Drury Lane in the show, and she was almost as bad.

I did love Bea Arthur as Vera Charles, and she would have been a better Mame too.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I thought that it was one of the worst pieces of miscasting ever. I agree with the critic who gave it a one word review, "Maimed!"

Even though Angela Lansbury had been a smash hit on Broadway, she wasn't considered big a enough Box Office star. I am quite sure that it would have been a big success with Angela, because like Roz Russell she captured the spirit of Mame.
    I had the misfortune to see Ginger Rogers at Drury Lane in the show, and she was almost as bad.

I did love Bea Arthur as Vera Charles, and she would have been a better Mame too.

Wow. You got to see Ginger rogers live on stage. Lucky. :)

It is an insult to Angela she was never considered. She was a three time oscar nominee and was hardly a nobody. Quite a few musicals past and present had made mistakes when they don't consider the original actors who played the part on stage to play it in film.
    Forum Member
    Wow. You got to see Ginger rogers live on stage. Lucky. :)

It is an insult to Angela she was never considered. She was a three time oscar nominee and was hardly a nobody. Quite a few musicals past and present had made mistakes when they don't consider the original actors who played the part on stage to play it in film.

No, not lucky, she was abysmal, not a clue how to play madcap Mame, hardly any voice, and what did shock me her dancing wasn't up to much either.

She had a terrible reputation at Drury Lane, near the end of the show's run, the highest paid of all stage performers in the UK committed a faux pas that was widely reported in the press. For Christmas she presented the 28 piece orchestra with one seven lb jar of chocolate limes, labelled, "A Sweet Treat from Auntie Mame" The outraged musicians sent the treat to St Ormonds Children's Hospital, muttering about being insulted.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, not lucky, she was abysmal, not a clue how to play madcap Mame, hardly any voice, and what did shock me her dancing wasn't up to much either.

She had a terrible reputation at Drury Lane, near the end of the show's run, the highest paid of all stage performers in the UK committed a faux pas that was widely reported in the press. For Christmas she presented the 28 piece orchestra with one seven lb jar of chocolate limes, labelled, "A Sweet Treat from Auntie Mame" The outraged musicians sent the treat to St Ormonds Children's Hospital, muttering about being insulted.

Oh lord

What a diva
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally known as a stage show starring Angela Lansbury and the non-musical version starring Rosalind Russell. But the story of Mame eventually made it as a musical on film in the 70's, starring Lucille Ball and original broadway cast member, Beatrice Arthur.

The film was slaughtered by critics (mainly for Lucille's singing and casting) and was a total flop. However, i think it is a brilliant film. Lucille's singing isn't perfect at all. But she gives it her all. But her and Beatrice Arthur are dynamite as Mame and Vera, two women who insult each other but deep down have a strong friendship. The film is very camp. Very outrageous. Fantastic performances. A catchy number of songs. It's one of those films that puts me in a good mood.

I haven't seen it for quite a few years but remember thinking it was OK
  • ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One of my all time fave films..I also like the non musical version too.
    Forum Member
    For the best ever Auntie Mame, watch Roz Russell in the original 1958 film, in which she brilliantly recreated the role that she had made her own on Broadway. I have both books on which the show was based, and in the sequel, "Around the World with Auntie Mame", the author Patrick Dennis dedicated it to "The One and Only Rosalind Russell" and you can't get a better tribute than having the author approve of your performance.