Options

UK Singles Chart - Comparing Sales and Streaming - Discussion thread

StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I recently became aware that the singles chart now has two main charts, Official UK Singles Chart which is made up of all the sales + all the streaming, and Official UK Singles Sales Chart, which is now the secondary chart, and which just counts sales to give positions in the top 100.

So I thought I'd make a thread where we can discuss this phenomenon, in general, every week (maybe/hopefully!) and compare and contrast where a song's charting on streaming and where it's charting based just on sales.

Maybe work out when the best time to release a song is; in order to take advantage of the new mechanics; or just have a look at how broad some of the contrasts can be!

One that sticks out at me right away from this week's chart is the placing of Bastille's 'Pompeii'.

Now consider firstly that every ten streams counts as one single sale, or the equivalent of one.

In the Singles Sales Chart, 'Pompeii' comes in at #96 this week, up from #102. Whereas, in the 'Official Singles Chart', the same song, 'Pompeii' comes in at #57, up from #61. So in this instance, its place in the new 'Official Singles Chart' is being buoyed up almost entirely by streaming, which is causing it to stick around!

I wonder how the new mechanic will work for chart statistics in the future...

Anyway, what are your thoughts? views? things you notice about this? Let's get a discussion going.

Comments

• Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder that as well. I'm sure at some point a song is going to get to number 1 because of streaming, whereas if streaming hadn't been included, it would never have made past, say, number 4, and this prevented someone else getting it. Not sure I'm comfortable with that.
  • Options
    hadjilouca05hadjilouca05 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Ed Sheeran -"Don't" has benefitted from this. #11 Singles and #12 Single Sales. Kiesza - "Giant in My Heart" hasn't though. #4 Singles and #3 Single Sales. Not has Bakermat - "One Day (Vandaag)". #15 Singles and #10 Single Sales
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Something to add is that last week, for the first time, streaming accounted for the majority of "sales".
    Overall singles sales are down 2.63% week-on-week, at 5,116,368. Streaming accounted for 2,619,137 sales - more than half the total (51.19%) for the first time.

This is just the beginning, and it's going to keep increasing over time as sales decrease and more people use streaming sites. Wouldn't be surprised if by next decade streaming will be accounting for 90% of "sales".

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it will make the charts very, very slow moving, and they're already pretty slow as it is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    I'm not keen on the idea of streaming contributing to the chart, I guess I'm just a traditionalist as I think it should be sales only or at a stretch AirPlay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People shot me down on here before when I suggested streaming was more of a force in the charts than a small blip.

Over 50% of 'sales' already. Wow.

And sales are high anyway.

Having said that; I think the chart should rename itself to 'Top 100 Songs' or something similar; 'Singles' is misleading when the lower regions of the chart has every single song from Ed Sheeran's last album, and when 50% of the chart isnt even singles sold.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simi89 wrote: »
    I'm not keen on the idea of streaming contributing to the chart, I guess I'm just a traditionalist as I think it should be sales only or at a stretch AirPlay.
    Your post doesn't make sense. How is airplay included better or more reflecting of what is popular than streaming?
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simi89 wrote: »
    Streaming is just the modern way of ''consuming' music getting away from the concept of owning your own copy. Most airplay is based on the charts so to use it to generate the actual charts is circular.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree; isnt streaming more like a replacement for airplay; as people move away from radio?

That's how people use it anyway; the majority of people I know that use streaming don't use it as a replacement for buying or downloading music or CDs; but just as background noise, or to listen to music that you might not necessarily want to buy - and the move to streaming from radio is one forced by the fact that many radio stations' playlists are very limited/not as varied as they used to be; or as varied as we grew up with.
  • Options
    hadjilouca05hadjilouca05 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Lethal Bizzle - "RariWorkOut" has just missed the top 10 due to streaming. #8 on UK Single Sales Chart and #11 on UK Singles Chart.